• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Babies

Hi, we got a male rex rabbit and a guinea pig from a reputable breeder a few weeks ago. We went out last night to give them some extra straw and the rabbt had attacked the guinea pig, we obviously removed the guinea pig straight away. Cleaning out the rabbit this morning we have found out that our "male" rabbit has actually had babies, which is obviously why she attacked the guinea pig. One, surely the breeder must have known that he was a she and was pregnant, and two, do we just leave mum to get on with it? The hutch is warm enough but we're worried once the babies start moving from the bit they are in, they will be small enough to fit through the metal wire on the hutch??

Hi there :wave:

As I was reading I was thinking "doesnt sound like a reputable breeder really". As you say a good breeder should be able to properly sex rabbits and should NEVER recommend that a guinea pig and a rabbit be kept together.

Well done for separating them.

I have never had baby rabbits but I know there are people on here who have been in a similar position who hopefully will be along soon to give you advice.

I *think* to begin with it is best not to interfere too much but to check at a distance that things are ok.

But like I say, hopefully someone with more advice will be along soon.

I hope the guinea pig is ok and doesnt have any injuries?

x

Hmmm.An interesting one I would say.
First of all, rabbits arent supposed to live with bunnies.Different species and a rabbit could kill a GP.In fact, I think considering your bunny has had babies, i think your GP is lucky to be alive.
Just leave mum to get on with it.
How big is the mesh?? I would say no,mum wouldnt allow babies to go forth out the mesh.Currently too small however.
Hope someone can help you further.Best of luck.xxxx:wave:

Thank you for your reply. The guinea pig is fine, he's just a little shocked but enjoying being spoilt in his new indoor cage.

I have phoned the breeder this morning and he said it's not his problem anymore! Charming! Not that I would have trusted him to have them back anyway, I just wanted advice really.

We haven't actually been in the hutch, we've just been in the bottom section where mum tends to sit and watch for predators most of the day, she is eating a lot so we give her a little stroke every time we go out to top up her food. This is the other thing though, can we over feed her? Should she be eating something different?

I'm not an irresponsible pet owner and would never get rid of mum or babies just because it was unexpected, but if the breeder had let me know we could have atleast prepared and got some advice before hand!

How rude of the breeder! He really doesnt sound in any way 'reputable' to me.
Great that you tried to ask him for advice, even better that you came here for some! :D There are a lot of people on here with lots of rabbit knowledge and experience so I hope someone will be along soon with more advice re feeding and so on.

I wonder if the breeder can be reported to somebody for poor practice. If they are a member of the British Rabbit Council (BRC) then I think you can report to them. But this isnt my area of expertise as I dont even know if all breeders have to be registered! (Feel I should know these things by now but I dont :oops::oops:).

I dont know about the overfeeding although I guess new mum's need to keep their energy up for feeding the babies and producing milk.

Helen

Thanks for the replies.

I am quite angry at the breeder and did feel very sorry for the guinea pig. They had been living together (obviously with other rabbits it would seem) for over 6 months so he must have wondered what was happening last night bless him. I'm just glad all is ok with them all.

We have a baby due in 4 weeks though so are hoping that mum will take care of most of it herself until they are old enough to be re-homed!

Yes I would be very angry too. You expect a breeder to know better and to be able to set an example. :roll:

Guinea pigs and rabbits should not be kept together as rabbits can easily injure, harrass or even kill a guinea pig. Also rabbits carry a bacteria which can harm the guinea. At least they are separated now, and no serious injury occurred.

Gosh, you will have your hands full with baby on the way and baby bunnies too! Congratulations on expecting.

Actually now that I think about it, the breeder must have had the rabbit in with another rabbit before you bought her, knowing full well they could mate...since you dont have another rabbit she obviously got pregnant while in with another rabbit....He must have known then that one of them could be pregnant and so I half wonder if he has actually conned you in to taking a pregnant bunny :shock::shock:

ETA: unless he really didnt have a clue! In theory he could have been putting two males together which could result in horrendous injuries. Or did he think he had given you the male, and be able to keep the doe and babies for himself to sell. Ah, whichever way you look at it, it is really bad!

Last edited:
Back