• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*urgent* - bunny sore leg & off food

lucyj

Mama Doe
Noticed last night when feeding that Honey didnt dive out his bed as normal for food, but he did come out & eat a couple of mins later. This morning, fed them, he didnt come out for food again, so was a bit worried. Took him out and checked him over and he has a sore hind leg, its not open, but the skin/fur looks brown & messy, tried to clean it up a bit and got a vet appt for 2pm today (earliest I could get, and I had to argue for that)

I moved house last week and they have gone from being on grass to being on patio, could this have caused it? And what is it? Im so worried just wish 2pm was here :(
xxx

Without being able to see the leg its impossible to say what may be wrong.
It might be an injury, or that he has some hind leg weakness due to a systemic illness. Hopefully the Vet will be able to provide a diagnosis and appropriate treatment to help him feel better :)

thanks Jane - I really cant see any open sores, its like the skin is all scaly or something, I am so worried as I thought maybe it could be the beginning of fly strike, as we have had wet weather for a while now and they have free access to run so may have had wet fur. I cant see any maggots tho and he has nothing around his rear end. It must be sore tho as he is not keen to let me touch it at all
xxx

thanks Jane - I really cant see any open sores, its like the skin is all scaly or something, I am so worried as I thought maybe it could be the beginning of fly strike, as we have had wet weather for a while now and they have free access to run so may have had wet fur. I cant see any maggots tho and he has nothing around his rear end. It must be sore tho as he is not keen to let me touch it at all
xxx

Poor boy :cry:
Good luck at the Vets xx

I can't see how - their bedding was changed friday, monday, and due to be changed again today, ohhh although when we were moving last week, they were in their pet carrier for around 45mins while the hutch was moved and set up and they had peed in there, could that have caused it? God I feel so bad now :(
xxx

Short time in a carrier wouldn't cause it. He may have had a slight pee infection, or even be peeing at an odd angle for some reason. Anyway, don't feel bad, the vet will sort him out.:)

Came home from work at 12, and he was out in his run, much more alert than last night/this morning, came over to say hello, was nudging my hand when was cleaning out their bedding etc. He ate a little of the fresh hay I put in. They still had some pellets left from this morning (v.unusual) but he did go and eat a couple while I was watching, perhaps me cleaning it up this morning has made him feel a little better. He is putting weight on the foot (it is more on the bottom part of his leg than his foot tho) and is getting up and down the ladder from run to hutch ok (in fact, when I took the ladder out while he cleaned the hutch out, he jumped up into the hutch) but I am going to take him and get him looked at anyway, thanks all for your help
xxx

Hiya Guys

Just a lil update let you all know how got on at the vet with Honey yesterday. She cleaned up his leg, he did have just a small graze, she thinks the combination of that and the house move has made him feel a bit miserable hence him not cleaning the area properly and being a bit off his food. She also said that the graze could have came from the change from grass to patio as their skin is soft and will take a couple weeks to toughen up (I suppose like between our toes when we get the flip flops out for the first time each summer!).

She listened to his tummy and said that it wasnt working as quickly as she would like, which would tie in with him being off his food for a day or 2, so she gave him an injection to kick-start his gut, and I've to give him 2ml or FibrePlex twice a day for 3 days. Gave him 1st dose yesterday, & glad to report that when I went out this morning he was right out of his bed waiting for me to open the door & munching away on his pellets straight away, then i gave him his 2nd dose of FibrePlex, so fingers crossed he's gonna be ok
xxx

Back