• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Zithromax

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone ever been prescriped Zithromax for a rabbit, what for? and what results did you get with it?

matt had zithromax at one point for his uri. he did well on it for about 8 weeks and then his symptoms returned. this was because he had too much mucus in his nose though and the meds couldn't be as effective. his c&s test did show it would kill the bacteria though. i found it good and he did really well on it. :wave:

matt had zithromax at one point for his uri. he did well on it for about 8 weeks and then his symptoms returned. this was because he had too much mucus in his nose though and the meds couldn't be as effective. his c&s test did show it would kill the bacteria though. i found it good and he did really well on it. :wave:

:wave:thanks for that, so was he on it for 8 weeks? or is that how long the efeects lasted?

:wave:thanks for that, so was he on it for 8 weeks? or is that how long the efeects lasted?

that is how long the effects lasted but then his symptoms went back to how they were before. i think it would have worked well had it not been for the really bad build up of mucus in his nose not letting any meds work properly. :wave:

Yes. My bridge bunny, Folly, was prescribed Zithromax on several occasions for pnuemonia (sp). I think she had it for around 10 days at a time. Something like every day for 4 days and then every other day until the remaining doses had been used up. We always had a very good result with it, until the next bout of pnuemonia came along several months later (she suffered recurring bouts every 6 months or so).

It's been a while since I used this but I *think* Zithromax has a cumulative effect in the body so you can't give it every day. This is why we used to give Folly the doseage every day for 4 days and then every other day (but don't quote me on that - it's been a long time since I've used it!)

Last edited:
Yes our headtilt bunny Wilson had 7 days of Zithromax after we'd tried baytril, depocillin, stemetil, panacur, steroid injections for almost 2 months :? After the Zithromax he improved no end & was able to back to being like a normal bunny - just with a headtilt :)

Zithromax worked wonders on Daisy's HUGE abscess. It was pushing out behind her eye and we thought she may have to have it removed, however a week or so on Zithromax worked a treat. The abscess totally disappeared and has shown no signs of returning!

Thanks everyone, sounds really positive, I have a bunny who has frontal sinusitis and has had the top of his nose drilled open and was wondering if Zithromax would benefit him?

Back