• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Azithromycin // Zithromax

ERCD

Young Bun
Hello,

My Vet (whom I trust) is willing to prescribe Azithromycin // Zithromax for my Bailey.

I say ‘willing’ as it was my suggestion to try an antibiotic before going for more invasive treatment.

It’s not a medication I’m familiar with - has anyone had this for their bun?

Well, there’s no actual diagnosis yet.

She’s 3, spayed and an indoor bun. She’s happy and playful with a good appetite. She started sneezing occasionally at the beginning of the summer, when it was really hot. She doesn’t have a runny nose, or pus. It seemed to be in the morning and in the evening when it happened, much like hayfever.

I deep-cleaned her room and got new rugs for her. I use puppy pads, and not wood shavings.

The sneezing has been intermittent and gets worse when it’s really hot, and no sneezing when the temperature goes down.

I took her to the vet and they found she has developed malocclusion. That was fixed and her teeth had been looking good (2 check -ups). At the time, we agreed that we may need to look at her tooth roots in the future (soon-ish but not urgent).

I then heard what I felt was a chesty sound from Bailey, so I asked if we can try antibiotics just to make sure she doesn’t have an infection. (The vet can’t hear any chesty sounds or rattling).

I’m currently away, but received an email to let me know the vet is happy to prescribe this medication. I have never heard of it so just want to know what experiences others have had xx

I had a bunny with snuffles from bacterial infection and after trying other antibiotics, he was prescribed this. I had to obtain it from a pharmacy because my vet did not have it in stock. Since your bunny did not show bacteria, why did vet select this particular abx?

I had a bunny with snuffles from bacterial infection and after trying other antibiotics, he was prescribed this. I had to obtain it from a pharmacy because my vet did not have it in stock. Since your bunny did not show bacteria, why did vet select this particular abx?

I’m going to guess experience. She said that this would be the best option on this occasion.

I absolutely trust her - she’s the first vet who actively listens to me and takes my own experience with my buns into account. I don’t question her judgement - I’m thankful she hears me and she is great with my bunnies (she helped me nurse my little Pepper through a 2-year issue and bun is now happy & perky. It was a joint effort so I genuinely appreciate her knowledge and empathy).

I just haven’t heard of Zithromax before, or the need to go to a human pharmacy (which is what I need to do in this occasion).

Zithromax is her second choice. The first choice is completely out of stock (I don’t remember the name).

I’m going to guess experience. She said that this would be the best option on this occasion.

I absolutely trust her - she’s the first vet who actively listens to me and takes my own experience with my buns into account. I don’t question her judgement - I’m thankful she hears me and she is great with my bunnies (she helped me nurse my little Pepper through a 2-year issue and bun is now happy & perky. It was a joint effort so I genuinely appreciate her knowledge and empathy).

I just haven’t heard of Zithromax before, or the need to go to a human pharmacy (which is what I need to do in this occasion).

Zithromax is her second choice. The first choice is completely out of stock (I don’t remember the name).
My bunny has sneezing also i was thinking its a bacterial infection, we have been through a lot of tests and taking different vets opinions, after a nasal culture it appears there is no infection at all, this has been confirmed from 2 different vets, then proceeded to check his teeth roots as it can cause pressure to the nasal cavity, then we went to more deep test like st scan at the end my bunny suffers from narrow airway because of his short head ( he is holland lop ) which considers a Brachycephalic breed unfortunately 💔 not all rabbits with short head suffer from this but it’s fairly common among them so we are on nebuliser only 3 to 4 times every week

Back