• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ziggy

After three days of intensive treatment from the vet and home nursing for what appeared to be a nasty case of stasis the cause of the severe stasis was finally located. I had hoped it was simply a bad case of stasis from have a recent GA and then an eye ulcer so initially opted for sub cut fluids and drugs with me doing the syrnge feeds and syringe water at home to give him a chance to recover. The sub cut fluids made him more comfy but the drugs failed to get his gut moving and he just was not himself.

This morning the more specilaist vet had a good look at him. Ziggy was found to have a gut torsion causing a severe intestional blockage near his stomach and the start of bloat. Her experince made her think that there was also a mass on his kidneys which would go some way to explain the lack of wee. Working on both my instinct and the advice of the vet we both decided it would be kinder to opt for euthanasia rather than subject an elderly g.pig to very invasive treatment.

Not a choice I wanted to have to make but hopefully the kinder one for Zig. He will be missed.

The vet got back to me, it was a torsion with the start of necrosis. Thankfully the use of analgesia, vet bed and snugglesafes whilst we both suspected just stasis from having had a recent GA had kept him pain free and the sub cut fluids helped him stay alert and comfortable. There was the start of what looked like cancer in his kidneys.

Whilst it was not a decision I wanted to have to make I feel a lot happier going with my instinct that this was stasis for a reason and Elly whose pig he was is now happier with me knowing he was very ill and would have died a lot sonner without all the TLC and vet care of late.

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your wee piggy, the kindest thing is also the hardest thing in the world to do, sending hugs.
Popcorn free little Ziggy xxx

Back