• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Zebedee, stray rabbit *Update post 52 - :'( he's gone*

Oh bless this little one - if his only issue for the future will be blindness and not pain and discomfort then he should as you say be given every chance rather than PTS - I don't think he'll be without a forever home if that's the case ;);)

Just a little update :(

We've just got home from the vets. The eye drops haven't helped Zebedees eye's and his worse eye seems to have worsened. The vet is concerned as the pressure in both eyes is very high. We already have him on panacur and she has upped his metacam. I'm not convinced he is in pain, hes in our lounge at the moment, so we can observe him alot and he happily races around at top speed and binkies everywhere. The vet thinks it may be glaucoma, and says he will be in extreme pain :( I did ask about enucleation, but she said because he is so young, and because both eyes are so badly affected, it wouldn't be fair on him and she feels PTS is the probably going to be the best option. I can't tell you how gutted i am, i have of course bought him home and will continue with eye drops/metacam/panacur. I've only had him a short time but i feel he deserves a chance.

I'm sure people on here have had bunnies with both eyes removed?

Please remember he isn't my own rabbit :( So he will, at some point, need to be rehomed.

What eye drops is he on at the moment ? Something like Timoptol may be beneficial

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Glaucoma&medicine=Timoptol

If he is blind anyway, then enucleation wont 'make him blind' it will just stop useless eyes hurting. As he is very young and if he has no other serious health problems then maybe it would be worth ago. He would obviously need a 'special needs'/sanctuary home and I fully understand that you have a lot of factors to take into account

if he is blind anyway I don't see an issue with him not having eyes, but of course I'm not a vet. I've seen it done it dogs before though, fingers crossed something can be done for him :(

My beloved little Rosiekins had to have an eye removed & then the other eye got bad I had her pts because her mouth was also partially paralysed during the op to remove her 1st eye If her mouth had been ok I'd have had the 2nd removed There are several peeps on here with blind bunnies who live full & happy lives

I had a rat that had to have both eyes removed and she coped perfectly well afterwards. I hope something can be done for this wee soul but it must be tough to have this decision to make. :(

Becky I am so sorry you and zebedee are going through this :(

While I agree that removing both eyes is no worse than a rabbit being blind in the grand scheme of things, I know a lot of vets are reluctant to remove both eyes. Eye removal is a fairly major op and I feel on this occasion Zebedee's size is very much against him, so for him attempting to remove both would be huge :(

If I can do anything to help just shout. I am happy to speak to my vet as we have a couple of excellent bunny vets there at the moment :) xx

Hiya guys, i've spoke to Liz today (thank you Liz :love: ) and i think the bit i've forgot to mention is he only weighs around 600grams :( and the op obviously can't wait months until hes heavier :(

I've managed to get Zebedee an appointment with Marie Kubiak tomorrow at Manor Vets. Paws crossed for the little mite.

Hiya guys, i've spoke to Liz today (thank you Liz :love: ) and i think the bit i've forgot to mention is he only weighs around 600grams :( and the op obviously can't wait months until hes heavier :(

I've managed to get Zebedee an appointment with Marie Kubiak tomorrow at Manor Vets. Paws crossed for the little mite.

Wishing you all the luck in the world tomorrow xx

Good luck at the vets, poor Zebedee :( My glaucoma bun was diagnosed at 7 months and had an eye removed at 9 months. She still has Truspot drops for the remaining eye and pressure is down to 14 from 30+

Hope your vet can prescribe some drops that help - you would be surprised how quick they can make a difference so don't lose hope just yet :wave:

You are certain to obtain the very best advice from Marie

Poor wee Zebedee, what a tiny little Bunny he is :cry:

Marie is a great vet so I'm sure she will give you an honest assessment.

Where was he found?

Obviously because i've posted his photos i can't disclose an exact location, but he was found in a built up area in Walsall. He had been wandering around the street since the Thursday morning, and i collected him on the Sunday afternoon after she'd managed to catch him. The lady who handed him in had said people often have rabbits for sale boards up in the street and she was wondering if they had let him free because of his eyes.

I'll be thinking of him today and hoping you get some positive news.

If you hadn't already got an appointment with an excellent vet I would have been tempted to mention him to our vet at our consultation today to get an idea of his chances.

I shall be looking for updates and hoping for good news.

Obviously because i've posted his photos i can't disclose an exact location, but he was found in a built up area in Walsall. He had been wandering around the street since the Thursday morning, and i collected him on the Sunday afternoon after she'd managed to catch him. The lady who handed him in had said people often have rabbits for sale boards up in the street and she was wondering if they had let him free because of his eyes.

No I can understand that.....his story just sounded very similar to a call I had around the same time you rescued this guy, but the one I had was in Worcs....I was just wondering if it was the same rabbit.

Fingers crossed for today.

Still thinking of this little guy and hoping that the prognosis for surgery/recovery/happy ever after is deemed to be good.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts today. We got on quite well :) Marie was brilliant with Zebedee. We now have eye drops to reduce the pressure in his eyes and Marie would like to see him back next week to see if the drops have helped. Marie feels operating is an option at a later date (maybe in around a months time). We need to see how Zebedee progresses first. We do think he is potentially a wildie cross, and he is probably so easy to handle because of his lack of/none existant eye sight. We also have the added complication that Zebedee is potentially a hermaphrodite.

I do feel Marie gave us more opions for Zebedees future, we now need to decide what will be best for him in the long run. And though all this, i need to remember not to get attached :love:

Back