• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your views on experimental/pioneering treatments.

Would you allow your rabbit to undergo pioneering veterinary treatment?

• I would be willing on the chance it may save my rabbit.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I would be willing on the chance it would save others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My rabbit is not an experiment and I would rather they slipped away peacefully.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It would depend on the procedure and the potential pain/suffering associated with it.

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Im undecided.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
I am facing a choice like that soon. Mollys ear canal keeps closing over which means he may have to have an internal ear canal ablation. something my vet has only ever performed on dogs (shes rabbit savvy aswell). There has been a vet who has done several of these operations in Italy with fantastic outcomes. It would hopefully see the end of the stupid ear infections hes been getting. But it would mean he would be deaf in one ear, plus the fact that hes been through 4 operations in the past year.

However he comes out of them eating fine etc and it never really bothers him. Hes back to normal a day or two after. To me, hes such a strong bunny but I am however not particularly keen on him having this surgery for a number of reasons, which is why I'm doing my upmost to find out more about what can be done to stop his ear canal from closing up.

I'd love to know peoples opinions on this topic, because to me I have no idea whether it will either make him better or be fatal :?

xx

I voted do it :)

Its been foremost in my mind with Stripes, she's fought so hard and we both know she's never going to regain the use of her legs now :(

Personally if you've got a fighter and theres a small chance no matter how small, I believe you should take it.

If it doesn't work then at least you know you've tried

After the heartache of losing Sam to Micotil which was a drug suggested to me by a vet that wasn't licensed for rabbits but being pushed by people "up there" I can't honestly say hand on heart I would. I guess if my rabbit was going to lose it's battle anyway I would but Sam went before his time and suffered so ..... jury's out for me I'm afraid.

I'm undecided. I've never yet had to pts any of my buns, I've lost so many when they were young:( I love them dearly but am also a great beleiver in keeping things natural such as a peaceful death and garden burial. So I'm not sure. Perhaps if it came to it, I would allow the rabbit to undergo the treatment. I hope I never have to make that decision but if I do I will probably ask for advise from the family too.

depends, I'm afraid ;) If there was nothign else to try and there was no risk of it just prolonging their suffering and causing more pain, I'd go for it. especially if it meant the technique could then benefit other rabbits

I would opt for the treatment, if my rabbit wasn't going to be in pain.
If fact I've tried a few things on other animals when there was nothing left the vets could do.
We had a goat operated on last year, a first for our vets and they weren't very keen, sadly she had a tumour and had to be PTS, but I know the next time they will be much more confident about operating. Although we couldn't save her, perhaps it may save another.

lol sooz yes I shall be checking back

and i totally agree that it depends on the bun. jack, for example gets VERY stressed going to the vets which was why i agreed to get her incisors removed - less trips to have them trimmed. i feel utterly useless now as it has backfired, she had infections, molar spurs and will most probably need repeated dentals only under GA this time. so i've tried to help and messed things up. if it had been Brian i would probably have left his incisors in as he is so chilled at the vet it wouldn't have bothered him having them trimmed every month.

Back