• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your first bunny

Rabbitdan, that grey bunny in your picture is just like my first bunny Smockey :love: I got her when I was 7, and she died when I was 14 and she was the most friendliest bunny I have ever had, and my fav I have had, I love all my others but she was my baby :love: I/my parents knew nothing about rabbits when I got her except about she needed vacinations but she has been my one to live the longest

Rabbitdan the bunny in your pic is the spitting image of my Rosie

My 1st bunny was a REW. Compared to my buns now & the information I know now that poor bunny had an awful life. Unfortunately in the 70s rabbit husbandry was very poor. I read a book on rabbit care last year that was written in the 70s probably with the best of intentions but it got it so wrong. My bun did have veggies & plenty of hay as I lived in the countryside but didnt get the sort of attention & interaction that I now know they need.

It was very different when I bought my 1st bun Munchkin though a lot of what I now know is all thanks to this web site.

I thankfully joined up here before I got Roly which is just as well given some of the misinfo I had with regard to rabbit keeping. :shock:

I had started work at a company that employs people to take a few animals round schools and talk to the weans about them. We'd been handed in a rabbit whos owner no longer wanted him and I was asked if I wanted to use him for work. I lived with my parents at the time and they had warned me that a couple of furries was OK but NO rabbits (dad gets hayfever). However when I seen Roly stuck in a small indoor cage with his dirty matted fur and sad face he was always going to come home with me. This is a picture of him in the cage at the office.
roly_rescue001-1.jpg

I was given a hutch (4'x1') and no run and my parents agreed that Roly would live at my aunts house who lived 5mins away and I could look after him there. Despite telling me I was to have no bunnies my mum fell in love with Roly and would often go to visit him at my aunts house. I remember the day I brought him home I had let him out in my parents back garden while I waited on mum returning from work. As soon as she seen him she went straight inside and came back with a bag of veg as we could both see he was a wee bag o bones. For about ten minutes he ran back and forth between myself and my mum to grab some greens from her and a pat from me.

This is a photo taken from that day
roly_rescue003.jpg

We realised that my aunts neighbour planned to have a big bonfire one night in summer so we planned to bring Roly to our garden temporarily. While he was there my dad (who had only seen him once until then) fell in love with him too and he has stayed there ever since. He now lives in a big shed with attached run and has a doting wife in Honey who we adopted from the Fife Rabbit Rescue as recommended by folk on here.:)

Roly Rabbit and Honey Bunny - a happy ending:)
roly_honey_snuggle001-1.jpg

My first bunny is my Pip, got her around June 2010!

I new nothing about bunny care nor about suitable accomodation....

I went to my local retail park to buy a Sat Nav, couldnt resist popping into P@H to look at the cute animals :love:

Saw Pip, me and my sister loved her instantly....We asked how long rabbits are generally in before they are sold (it was a fri night & I was worried Sat = parents buying kids pressies :shock:)...I got the impression she wasnt a cert to be sold the next day - but being a striking colour she was most likely of her trio!

Had a discussion with parents, mum said no, dad said up to us....mum finally agreed...so we set off to P@H and made a pact (me and my sister) if she was still there we would have her....and she was....:love:

Luckily the P@H leaflet advised about vaccinations....but I was instructed to feed as many P@H Pellets as she wanted and nobody told me about hutch sizing!!!

Luckily just before I ordered one of these...http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/plastic-rabbit-hutch.asp?hutch=83 I discovered this forum....:D phew!

I am still learning, but I am so grateful I found this site :)

ps. Pip is now joined by her rspca husbun Rusty :)

Back