• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

your first bunny?

my first rabbit was called patch. he only lived until 4 years old. we loved him so, so much but didn't know how to look after him. :cry: i'm crying now, i let him down, feel like we killed him, and i feel so guilty everyday. he was my best friend. :cry::cry::cry:

A grey nethie called Blueberry that I got at about 6 weeks old from a breeder that I got when I was about 7-8. She lived til she was about 5 when a stoat got into her hutch :(

She was the softest, cuddliest bun ever.

Cheeky, who came to us as a baby in 1974 (when I was 6) and lived with us for 6 years. She came from a friend of my brother's, whose rabbit had had babies.

My dad and brother built her a big hutch and run (probably wouldn't be considered 'big' nowadays, but was then). I remember she used to dash round her run doing figures of eight. :love:

She had a lot of wildie in her I think, and was never tame - I remember being permanently frustrated that she wouldn't let me stroke her. :(

I'm never sure what exactly was wrong with her in the end - she started dragging her back legs and my dad took her in a cardboard box to the vet (her only visit!) to be put to sleep. :(

Cheeky bun
cheekybunny.jpg

Mine was a nethie called Smudge, she lived til she was about 6 years. Looking back though, when I got her she was still living with her brother......and the woman tried to get me to take a dutch as well for free!! I was only 13 though at the time and had no idea about neutering, pairings etc etc. She was happy though in 6 years we had and always groomed me. I was devastated when I found her one morning, think it was a heart attack.....she was a little chubber :)

I went looking for a piccy of my first bun last night, and will get the OH to scan it in later (I have no idea how the scanner works! :oops: )

Tinker, a dwarf lop. My sister bought 'her' from p@h for my niece, who got bored, so we took 'her' on.

It wasn't until 'she' came to me that we found that 'she' was actually a 'he' !!

Here he is free-ranging on the patio last year. I lost him in March at 2years old from what I now believe was stasis. I've learnt a lot from his passing. Every so often, I feel a nudge and look round thinking it's Pebbles, but she's nowhere near. Hello Tinker :love:

He used to get a 'suntan' in the summer, his gorgeous grey coat would turn brown in places :lol:
2009_0711_152737AA.jpg

Molly! I found her on the street last year :love:

I told my mum I was going to rehome her.... but we all fell in love :love:

Bambi was my first rabbit. I got her when I was about 14. She had been hand reared and was white with grey/brown bits. She only lived for about one year. She didn't show any signs of illness. :(

When I was little my parents were given a giant rabbit as a present called George. His coat had that same texture as an agouti but I think it was more grey. He lived in a tiny hutch but he was brought in the house a lot of the time - he was a wire chewer :shock:

The first rabbit that belonged to me was an opal lop called Floppy, and I was about 4 or 5. She lived outside and never came in :( she got conjunctivitis, which I don't think was actually treated, and she died not long after. Not sure if it was because of the conjunctivitis :?

my first buunny was a black mini lop, he was so cute and very cheeky. he loved trying to find new hiding places

My first rabbit was called Cookie, i have no idea what breed or age he was, but he was named after i fed him chocolate chip cookies (i was 5, i didn't know better) and he ate them. He didn't live overly long, and in his short life time he suffered from 2 broken legs (after my nan tried to catch him she broke one, and then sat on him on the way to the vet and broke the other). After his recovery, he managed to get out the garden and a fox ate him.

My first bunny was when I was at primary school so late 80s. She was a dutch dwarf and we got her from a pub :oops: we were having lunch in the garden and there was an aviary full of bunnies, I just had to have her. Unfortunately, and I don't know if it was a general thing at the time or if we were just ignorant, but she wasn't spayed, she lived in a 4ftx1ftx1ft hutch on her own, and died of flystrike aged 3 :cry::cry::cry: she had something wrong with her anus where it would go inside out, and we tried to keep her clean and dry, but eventually the inevitable happened. However, she did have a happy life, she had time in her run or in the house every day, she used to love being in the house and would get in the dog's bed and chew his ears! :love::love::love: RIP hoppity :cry:

I got my first buns two years ago they are called Haggis (the girl) and Fishcake (the boy), they are two years old.

I love them dearly and with the help of this forum I think I am getting things right.

I wasn't allowed any pets as a child so I am making up for it now.

the first bunny was my mums bunny Hector

fkp1cm.jpg

and he lived in this hutch and run but freeranged most of the time
166ei4x.jpg
(theres a piggie in there but they didnt live there at the same time

one night he wouldnt go back in the run and dissappeared :cry:

my first bunnies are Sebastian and Mae :love:

Mae's a nethie and Sebastians and nethie cross
14981op.jpg

eta: no idea how old hector was maybe 3 or 4 and my two babies have just about turned one i think :)

They were both fairly big bunnies. I got them from a distant relative who was breeding them for their meat. Our cat was scared of them. :lol:

Brschi1.jpg

Klopfer1.jpg

mine was a chinchilla coloured Nethie although may have been a cross called Thumper I have no idea what sex we just presumed a she lol i had her 9-12months before rehoming her to a 3 year old little girl because me and sister werent looking after her properly (I was 9) she used to live free range in my bedroom and she used to sleep on my pillow lol.

My first bunnies were Misty and Speckle. They were netherland dwarf x lops and they started my passion for rabbits. I was young when I had them and didn't get them speyed. They both got cancer, Misty died when she was 8 years old and Speckle survived it and crossed the bridge when she was 10 years old. I regret every day not getting them speyed (I just didn't know as I was young and new to bunnies). They were both lovely and perfect :love:

I miss those two so, so much.

My perfect little girls
bunnies-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back