• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yipee! The playpen is here!!!

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Woooo!!! :D

After 5 days of waiting, my rather nicely sized playpen arrived!

5qei.jpg

Cassie the (huge) cat for scale :lol:

As it is, it's 6ft x 4ft and 91cm high. We may end up needing to have one end closed up making it 4ft x 4ft if we can't figure out a safe (and practical) way to attach it to the hutch - I'm thinking 3 loops up each side of the hutch and the pen being attached with removable cable ties or something similar.

The only thing we are a bit worried about is that it appears a little flimsy!
As Neo is an inside rabbit, I was thinking of trying some DIY this weekend which would involve buying some thin board for the base, attaching lino and then buying some 1ins x 1ins rods, to line the outside of the board and also inside, leaving a small groove for the pen to sit in, essentially creating a permanent pad for Neo.

The only thing that worries me is 1) Bank account says 'do you NEEEEEED it right now?' and 2) We aren't 100% on how long we will be in this house and it may end up only being useful for a couple of months and then we need to get rid of it (if I moved back home the pen would need to be a different size and shape) and 3) Would it work?!

Any input would be great :wave:

Update...
Neo has seen the pen and decided he likes it
It's in a funny shape so just going to go with getting some lino that's easy to move.

Lino sounds a good idea, it'll give the run some traction so it doesn't move as easy as well as being easy to clean.

That's a good size pen can I ask where you bought it please! I have one but it's not tall enough Nelson keeps jumping over! And cable ties are a really good way of attaching panels together because they can bend so can stay attached when collapsing it down.

Lino sounds a good idea, it'll give the run some traction so it doesn't move as easy as well as being easy to clean.

Oooh, good point, but this picture has been taken at the parent's, we have carpet where we are currently, however we are hoping the panels won't skid around too much with the lino (we're gonna go for one that's got some pattern to it so it's a bit rougher/lumpy for friction), we've ended up managing to get it to attach to the hutch with a metal staple and carabiner clip combination which helps it hold it's shape well :)

That's a good size pen can I ask where you bought it please! I have one but it's not tall enough Nelson keeps jumping over! And cable ties are a really good way of attaching panels together because they can bend so can stay attached when collapsing it down.

Heya, it's not even the tallest one! We bought it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007ML6OKA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We got the large one, there is an XL and XXL, but this only applies to the height. Ours is 91cm which I doubt he could jump out of but climbing out of I wouldn't be surprised if Neo had his way :lol:
The panels are already connected with metal things, this evening I took the door panel off using pliers to open them up and moved it to the middle because due to the shape and lay out of the space, the door essentially opened into the hutch door lol. Not so helpful to us, but it shouldn't be a problem to most people I shouldn't think :)

Thanks ! Gosh that's really cheap too! Wish I'd seen it when I bought the other one. Been a nightmare he's jumped over twice so I've had to make it smaller and use the panels as a roof.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Thanks ! Gosh that's really cheap too! Wish I'd seen it when I bought the other one. Been a nightmare he's jumped over twice so I've had to make it smaller and use the panels as a roof.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I know! Glad I looked there, the tiny ones in Pets at Home are £40!
I don't know if you have any pound or 99p shops near you (wilkos/Pound Stretcher as well but more expensive), but in the gardening section a lot of them seem to have mesh rolls, we're going to buy 5 or so and clothes peg them to the top to make a roof, doesn't matter how high it is, if he gets out we'll never find him again due to the house being basically used as a storage locker by family lol.

Link to Poundland's one http://www.poundland.co.uk/home-and-garden/gardening/plant-protection-support/wire-netting-z
And PS http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/wire-cage-and-avery.html

Have a dig in the cheap shops, you find everything :lol:

Back