• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you still rescue if....

@ littleboots: if that was directed at me, I didn't say that about rescues...

@ Little-Laura:
I was strongly advised not to get a rabbit from far away, got a lot of rants from people "How could I even think about it" etc. And it would be very "bad rescues" if they would allow that as well. (same people that said to someone it was better to rehome their rabbits than to take the rabbits with them when moving) I have been seeking advice before I got my rabbit. Rescues was the first thing that came to my mind. I wanted rabbits for years and I thought it would be possible when I moved to Scotland. Only to find out that renting a property is very different and that you have to have permission of a landlord. So when I found out after more than 1,5 year that I would finally move to a flat where pets were allowed my dream to get rabbits came back and enthusiastically I started looking around. Because I am really not familiar with places in the UK I had to go on google maps with every different town to find out how far it would be, I was disappointed to find out that most giants seemed to be in England and Wales. (so far as I could find out).
And I really mean this: If there was a giant in any of the local rescues I would have adopted him/her.
But when a whole bunch of rabbit lovers declared me insane for thinking about getting a rabbit on a 4 hours (or more) journey and when I also saw that a lot of the further away rescues didn't go further than 1 hours I didn't explore more in this option.

About children, I said "as a side note". I didn't mean to bring it in a discussion but for me there is a part comparable.
There are too many people in this world.
There are too many (domesticated) rabbits in this world.
No one says a word about people wanting/getting children of their own (and therefore in a way supporting the already overgrown population) but by getting a rabbit from a breeder you can expect a whole load of $#@$%.
----

And if anyone wants to have a go at me for wanting a giant and not just any breed or nonbreed rabbit.
I am truly sorry that I am not a better person.

[QUOTE=Dawson;6227728]@ littleboots: if that was directed at me, I didn't say that about rescues...
@ Little-Laura:
I was strongly advised not to get a rabbit from far away, got a lot of rants from people "How could I even think about it" etc. And it would be very "bad rescues" if they would allow that as well. (same people that said to someone it was better to rehome their rabbits than to take the rabbits with them when moving) I have been seeking advice before I got my rabbit. Rescues was the first thing that came to my mind. I wanted rabbits for years and I thought it would be possible when I moved to Scotland. Only to find out that renting a property is very different and that you have to have permission of a landlord. So when I found out after more than 1,5 year that I would finally move to a flat where pets were allowed my dream to get rabbits came back and enthusiastically I started looking around. Because I am really not familiar with places in the UK I had to go on google maps with every different town to find out how far it would be, I was disappointed to find out that most giants seemed to be in England and Wales. (so far as I could find out).
And I really mean this: If there was a giant in any of the local rescues I would have adopted him/her.
But when a whole bunch of rabbit lovers declared me insane for thinking about getting a rabbit on a 4 hours (or more) journey and when I also saw that a lot of the further away rescues didn't go further than 1 hours I didn't explore more in this option.

About children, I said "as a side note". I didn't mean to bring it in a discussion but for me there is a part comparable.
There are too many people in this world.
There are too many (domesticated) rabbits in this world.
No one says a word about people wanting/getting children of their own (and therefore in a way supporting the already overgrown population) but by getting a rabbit from a breeder you can expect a whole load of $#@$%.
----

And if anyone wants to have a go at me for wanting a giant and not just any breed or nonbreed rabbit.
I am truly sorry that I am not a better person.[/QUOTE]

Im not really sure why you should think my comment was aimed at you :? :?

Because I got my rabbit from a breeder and I did say something positive about rescues in the post before yours.
Or if you are now being sarcastic I'm not able to pick that up :eek:

Because I got my rabbit from a breeder and I did say something positive about rescues in the post before yours.
Or if you are now being sarcastic I'm not able to pick that up :eek:

Not being sarcastic at all :wave:
Just a genuine comment as it happens a lot on here....
Have you seen the latest sticky about rescues???? heartbreaking :(

Yes some on free adds will end up in rescues and some people feel they are helping the rescues by taking them but your not because if you had rescued they Would have money for their rescue and had one more space instead of having rabbits sitting there waiting for homes some of them living the rest of their lives in rescues. But yes you are helping that bun and that's lovely and you are helping in other ways but your not helping overall. But if they are in serious risk then yes you have helped a lot it can depend in the situation.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Whilst the adoption fee does help I very much doubt that it even begins to cover the vets bills and expenses for alot of buns that come into the rescue. I took in a freead bun yesterday who had been gotten out of a bad situation by someone who didn't have the finances to keep him. They brought the bun to me personally so they could home-check me. Apart from being a bit thin and a little muscle wastage he seems fairly healthy (he was worse than this when the rescued him, his current health is a testiment to their care) but with vaccs and neutering alone I'm looking at about £70. Surely thats more than most rescues adoption fee. I also think that it is less stressful for the bun to have less moves. Ie straight from one home to the next, as opposed to rescue, get settled then moved again to forever home.

I would advocate for rescues everytime but I do not see why someone with the knowledge and finances taking a bun direct is a bad thing, as long as they are sure it is a geuine ad and not a BYB offloading unwanted stock.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Whilst the adoption fee does help I very much doubt that it even begins to cover the vets bills and expenses for alot of buns that come into the rescue. I took in a freead bun yesterday who had been gotten out of a bad situation by someone who didn't have the finances to keep him. They brought the bun to me personally so they could home-check me. Apart from being a bit thin and a little muscle wastage he seems fairly healthy (he was worse than this when the rescued him, his current health is a testiment to their care) but with vaccs and neutering alone I'm looking at about £70. Surely thats more than most rescues adoption fee. I also think that it is less stressful for the bun to have less moves. Ie straight from one home to the next, as opposed to rescue, get settled then moved again to forever home.

I would advocate for rescues everytime but I do not see why someone with the knowledge and finances taking a bun direct is a bad thing, as long as they are sure it is a geuine ad and not a BYB offloading unwanted stock

Exactly this. Though I'm all for rehoming rabbits off free ads I wouldn't say for one minute that I think getting rabbits from free ads is better/preferable to getting them from rescues. For many people going to a rescue is the most appropriate route. However for some of us with the knowledge, spare accommodation, ability to take the risk with potential for higher vet bills etc I really can't see how it is detrimental to rescues for us to do so. As highlighted above the adoption fee is usually less than the cost to the rescue, often by quite a bit. The rescues have all the hard work of toing and froing to the vets, organising fundraising, constant cleaning out, feeding routines. I know and accept the argument that rabbits in rescue are stuck in rescue and at risk bunnies can't be taken in because of the lack of movement but this surely could be the case if I'd adopted and the place had already been filled. I have adopted from rescues and will continue to look at rescues as my first option but I don't believe that I'm making the situation worse by carefully selected an genuine 'in need' bunny from the free ads.

Back