• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you still rescue if....

I live in the Northeast of America and I have not come across any of the problems you have William. My local rescue is fifteen minutes away from me, they rescue dogs, cats, and all small animals. Every rabbit that can be safely neutered is neutered and when they go to the vet they receive a full examination, including teeth and are microchipped. The only rabbits that aren't healthy came in that way and adopters are always informed that they are special needs rabbits.

When it comes to adoption they cannot do homechecks because of a lack of volunteers. They do check with their vets and their landlords (if applicable) though to make sure that there isn't anything suspicious going on. A lot of the creeps you can identify from their first rabbit related statement and they have a do not adopt list that we share with other rescues. For aggressive rabbits the rescue makes sure they go to a rabbit experienced home. Besides the above measures a $75 adoption fee helps weed out impulse buyers. They accept all rabbits back.

The shelter also bonds rabbits and my first bonded pair (two boys!) were bonded there. Though they don't do overnight bonding you can bring your rabbits there during the day and you can make use of neutral space and their advice. You can also bring one of their rabbits home for a test run :wave:

All the other rescues I have looked at do all of these things and more. A lot of them homecheck and bond overnight and on all of the websites special needs rabbits are clearly labelled and personalilities are defined. I'd really suggest that you look at more rescue sites William because most of them are nothing like you described.

To answer your original question though I would adopt a rabbit rather than buy from a breeder. When the shelter did not have any female rabbits this summer we had planned to travel several hours to a different rescue, this did not end up happening because of personal issues, but if that rescue was our only option it would happen.

Have you looked on Petfinder? I don't know where you are in Florida (I think that's where you said you lived), but a quick search for Florida rabbit rescues on google gave me several options: Sivian's Rabbit Rescue, Gainesville Rabbit Rescue, Luv a Bun, H.A.R.E, and Florida Rabbit.

I don't see any difference in a pet shop bun or a breeder bun, the pet shops buy them from the same breeders you would.

I have no reputable rescues in my area. My first rescue bun was from Nottingham! :shock: We organised a bunny run and met semwhere to pick her up. They had somebody come round to my house to do a homecheck and chat to me about bunnies in general.

I think taking buns from free ads is just as good as going to rescues, as those bunnies would probably end up in rescue anyway, or worse. :(

Xena was from an individual who took her in, got her vet treatment, spayed, vaccinated etc. Thanx to that, I'm now good friends with her. :)

Shadowfax was a bun that a friend found, and informed me about. Between us both we caught her, and I got her spayed and vaccinated.

I don't think there is any excuse not to rescue animals. "Reputable" breeders don't exist. Anybody breeding animals whilst thousands upon thousands die in shelters and rescues and pounds etc, have no morals IMO.

I'd really suggest that you look at more rescue sites William because most of them are nothing like you described.

I didn't describe anything though...I was just saying how do you know what a reputable rescue is, how do you know they've been checked by a rabbit savvy vet, etc. I guess it is probably obvious just from looking at their websites, I haven't looked at many but it was pretty obvious that the Gainesville one was reputable since it's a pretty large organization.

Yeah I've looked at Petfinder in the past and the closest rescue is Gainesville and it's not very close.

I don't see any difference in a pet shop bun or a breeder bun, the pet shops buy them from the same breeders you would.

:? Pet shops don't buy from reputable breeders. They buy from mills and BYB. There's a major difference there, even people that don't believe in reputable breeders due to the amount of homeless buns have to realize that.

I didn't know any of that Sky-O (I guess because I don't go on US based bun forums much)- I'm glad the US does do a lot to help homeless buns!

Is it possible, then, that maybe your views and questions come from an uneductaed point of view, and maybe with a bit more research and knowledge about what can happen in the US, you might find different options become available?

I didn't describe anything though...I was just saying how do you know what a reputable rescue is, how do you know they've been checked by a rabbit savvy vet, etc. I guess it is probably obvious just from looking at their websites, I haven't looked at many but it was pretty obvious that the Gainesville one was reputable since it's a pretty large organization.

Yeah I've looked at Petfinder in the past and the closest rescue is Gainesville and it's not very close.

it seems like a lot of rescue buns have health problems

Then there's the fact that rescues over here apparently don't bond buns for people

Both things from your OP that I talked about in my post.

You can tell a reputable rabbit rescue by several things. Look at their website: do they have pictures of their rabbits? Do the rabbits/cages look clean? Visit the shelter: is it welcoming? How are the staff? Is it clean? Is there a clear labeling of which rabbit is which, their neutered status, etc? Ask the staff who their vet is then talk to the vet: does the vet seem rabbit savvy? Look online and see what people's opinions of the rescue are, take things with a grain of salt, some people might be angry that they got turned down.

Last edited:
If I wanted a rabbit then yes I'd travel for miles and would do all I can to get one from a rescue.
If I couldn't I wouldn't get a rabbit. I would feel unless I found on abandoned somewhere or was part of a rescue mission then I didn't deserve to have a rabbit if I wasn't willing to do that...

I don't want to support byb at all or breeding while there are so many bunnies in need in rescues I would feel my want would be winning over what is the right, ethical and moral thing to do and what was in the best interests of rabbits

But that's how I would feel about me doing it

Home checks can just be them talking to you seeing photos of your set up and evidences and having your vet talk to them they are all types of checks too

I looked into rescues but I couldn't find anything within reasonable distance.
I wanted a flemish giant(ended up with a conti) but haven't seen any local rescue with giants.
The ones I saw that had giants were a couple of hours away and thus too far for home checks.

I'm probably getting a bashing over me now that I got my rabbit from a breeder.
But honestly I don't regret it. I got to see the mother, the brothers and sisters, the set up etc.
Yes the set up could have been better, but it was not bad. Especially if I compare it to what many "normal" people have. Also the place wasn't swarming with rabbits, they all looked healthy. They were all quite sociable but he did tell me he didn't pick the rabbits up unless necessary because they don't like it. (I often hear about people picking up the rabbit to make them sociable)
The rabbits got out of the set up as well and had time in the garden.
I went with my rabbit to the vet for a check up and vaccination and she gave her a clean bill.
The day after I got her insured.
I had absolutely no problems with changing her from her old food to SSJ, she eats lots and lots of hay. She really looks like a healthy rabbit to me (so far).

Myself, I would never want to breed rabbits (or any kind of animal). But I feel myself that its a bit hypocrite to be against breeding but wanting the pet nevertheless. And it is a selfish thing to want a pet. Just like wanting to have children. But if I had to go and get a rabbit out of a rescue it would feel like getting a jack russel although I wanted a husky for example.

For her future husbun I'm going to continue looking in local rescues or maybe even Gumtree or Preloved kind of websites, sometimes it is just the timing that is off.

Is it possible, then, that maybe your views and questions come from an uneductaed point of view, and maybe with a bit more research and knowledge about what can happen in the US, you might find different options become available?

No, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't a rescue near me. As I said about the Gainesville rescue, they travel to Petsmarts, so that might be an option at some point but realistically I'll probably just get a bun off free ads or perhaps a shelter if I can get my parents to take me to one and if they happen to have buns when I visit. I'm not looking to get a bun right now btw, hopefully later this year though.

If I couldn't I wouldn't get a rabbit. I would feel unless I found on abandoned somewhere or was part of a rescue mission then I didn't deserve to have a rabbit if I wasn't willing to do that...

What about free ad buns? I consider that adopting. They need homes and may end up in a shelter if no one takes them.

Both things from your OP that I talked about in my post.

The idea that rescue buns have health problems isn't based on anything I've seen over here, just from what I've seen on this forum.

You don't know if rescues in the northeast fl area do bond (not that I would probably use a bonding service, it was just an observation) - we're on opposite ends of the country from each other.

This thread has I think made me feel more comfortable with the idea of rescue buns :)
If there was one nearby my first place to look might've been a rescue assuming I could persuade my parents.

As I've said, I've never gotten a bun from a rescue, so I suppose it was a more fear of the unknown kinda thing because I'm like well my buns have been pretty healthy, what if I get rescue buns and regretted health wise.
But yeah that probably doesn't make sense because mine have come from all sorts of situations - abandoned, free ads, a breeder (when I was 3 years old- parents got them), pet shops/mall/a nice pet shop that rescued rabbits that would otherwise be sold as snake food (again, when I was younger, parents got them). So they're really just as likely to be unhealthy as a young rescue bun is.

I do want to say though that I'm still not against breeding overpopulated animals. Whether it's with rabbits, cats, dogs or horses we do need people that are breeding responsibly. Breeds could be completely ruined without responsible breeders around. Pet shops and BYB are to blame for overpopulation. Responsible breeders are just a drop in the ocean.

I looked into rescues but I couldn't find anything within reasonable distance.
I wanted a flemish giant(ended up with a conti) but haven't seen any local rescue with giants.
The ones I saw that had giants were a couple of hours away and thus too far for home checks.

I'm probably getting a bashing over me now that I got my rabbit from a breeder.
But honestly I don't regret it. I got to see the mother, the brothers and sisters, the set up etc.
Yes the set up could have been better, but it was not bad. Especially if I compare it to what many "normal" people have. Also the place wasn't swarming with rabbits, they all looked healthy. They were all quite sociable but he did tell me he didn't pick the rabbits up unless necessary because they don't like it. (I often hear about people picking up the rabbit to make them sociable)
The rabbits got out of the set up as well and had time in the garden.
I went with my rabbit to the vet for a check up and vaccination and she gave her a clean bill.
The day after I got her insured.
I had absolutely no problems with changing her from her old food to SSJ, she eats lots and lots of hay. She really looks like a healthy rabbit to me (so far).

Myself, I would never want to breed rabbits (or any kind of animal). But I feel myself that its a bit hypocrite to be against breeding but wanting the pet nevertheless. And it is a selfish thing to want a pet. Just like wanting to have children. But if I had to go and get a rabbit out of a rescue it would feel like getting a jack russel although I wanted a husky for example.

For her future husbun I'm going to continue looking in local rescues or maybe even Gumtree or Preloved kind of websites, sometimes it is just the timing that is off.
did you try fairly beloved rabbit care pr Buddies as i know both have had gaints in the pass as I got my jellybaby from Fairly beloved not that long ago

I do want to say though that I'm still not against breeding overpopulated animals. Whether it's with rabbits, cats, dogs or horses we do need people that are breeding responsibly. Breeds could be completely ruined without responsible breeders around. Pet shops and BYB are to blame for overpopulation. Responsible breeders are just a drop in the ocean.

I would argue that a lot of breeds have already been ruined as a result of breeders. You need to introduce another healthy breed to the gene pool to help get rid of any deformities or problems that breeds have, but breeders are reluctant to do this because then the animal is no longer 'pedigree'.

In the cases of dogs specifically, you can argue for 'responsible breeders' of bulldogs or pugs all you like, but the fact is that they have become like a Victorian freakshow. When you get to the point where a dog needs an operation just so it can breathe or to have a c-section to have pups because they can't give birth naturally, I think that that breed should just be allowed to die out.

Rabbits aren't quite at that stage yet, but it doesn't mean that they won't be at some point.

I would argue that a lot of breeds have already been ruined as a result of breeders. You need to introduce another healthy breed to the gene pool to help get rid of any deformities or problems that breeds have, but breeders are reluctant to do this because then the animal is no longer 'pedigree'.

In the cases of dogs specifically, you can argue for 'responsible breeders' of bulldogs or pugs all you like, but the fact is that they have become like a Victorian freakshow. When you get to the point where a dog needs an operation just so it can breathe or to have a c-section to have pups because they can't give birth naturally, I think that that breed should just be allowed to die out.

Rabbits aren't quite at that stage yet, but it doesn't mean that they won't be at some point.

Bulldogs can't even mate without help.

yes but why do people always focus on the bad and don't even mention/think about the good?

Responsible breeders today are working to correct pugs problems. Shar pei breeders are working to correct the health problems and return them to the state they were in before they had very exaggerated features bred into them. BYB/mills caused a lot of damage to dalmatians that responsible breeders are working to correct. There's lots of examples of responsible breeders improving breeds.

yes but why do people always focus on the bad and don't even mention/think about the good?

Responsible breeders today are working to correct pugs problems. Shar pei breeders are working to correct the health problems and return them to the state they were in before they had very exaggerated features bred into them. BYB/mills caused a lot of damage to dalmatians that responsible breeders are working to correct. There's lots of examples of responsible breeders improving breeds.

Because there are so many bunnies needing homes so there shouldn't be any breeding until the rescue situation has improved

I honestly feel going to a breeder rather than rescuing is selfish

Rescues and this forum If the breed of bun you want is far away will often help you with bun runs I have bun runned buns before and I dont have a car I found out buns needed to get to where I was going and took them on the train with me to meet the people at the other end and I haven't had any stress out they have all been chilled. For those in the states it's harder to do this as we don't have many US members...

What about the rescues people have mentioned that are in your state? Have you researched enough to find rescues with buns in them?

I don't rescue from free adds because I want to get a rabbit from a rescue because the money I pay for the bun goes back into the rescue and helps pay for things they need, it opens a space for another rabbit in desperate need and helps the situation instead if adding to it

Yes some on free adds will end up in rescues and some people feel they are helping the rescues by taking them but your not because if you had rescued they Would have money for their rescue and had one more space instead of having rabbits sitting there waiting for homes some of them living the rest of their lives in rescues. But yes you are helping that bun and that's lovely and you are helping in other ways but your not helping overall. But if they are in serious risk then yes you have helped a lot it can depend in the situation.

But yes it's miles better to get a free ad bun then buy or get from a pet shop or breeder

Even good breeders are a problem because all though they are not treating the animals badly so many still don't give all the correct information which leads to the bun being accidentally or purposely neglected or kept in not suitable conditions and some females never being neutered..... Some will be given to rescues or abandoned because the people were not given all the information they needed and had they been given it wouldn't have got the bun etc....

Pet shops and breeders don't try their best to get the bun into a home who will treat them right they don't do checks etc.... So could be homing to someone who will get bored ect...

Not all what would be classed as good breeders as the cage sizes are Good the food is suitable don't over breed ect... Just because they get that right and are classed as good breeders because of it dsnt mean they will inform the buyers on what they should

Yes there are good ones who do it all but they are so few ....

I do think breeding should stop until the rescue situation gets better

I just really really don't understand how people can know the desperate situations rabbits are in and have been in and how the rescues are brimming full and bunnies needs homes and many spend their live in a rescue , they know their are bunnies in need in ads ect... And yet choose to buy from a breeder or shop ....

Last edited:

Responsible breeders are NOT correcting problems in dogs, rabbits or any other animal. If they want to "correct" the problems, then they need to STOP breeding such deformed, inbred animals, and stop breeding for aesthetic reasons.

Not all what would be classed as good breeders as the cage sizes are Good the food is suitable don't over breed ect... Just because they get that right and are classed as good breeders because of it dsnt mean they will inform the buyers on what they should

If they don't inform buyers on rabbit's care then they aren't good breeders.

Rescues and this forum If the breed of bun you want is far away will often help you with bun runs I have bun runned buns before and I dont have a car I found out buns needed to get to where I was going and took them on the train with me to meet the people at the other end and I haven't had any stress out they have all been chilled. For those in the states it's harder to do this as we don't have many US members...

Right now I'm not looking for any particular breed, I love all buns.

What about the rescues people have mentioned that are in your state? Have you researched enough to find rescues with buns in them?

Yeah awhile back I went on Petfinder and the closest rescue is 1 1/2 hrs away.

Responsible breeders are NOT correcting problems in dogs, rabbits or any other animal. If they want to "correct" the problems, then they need to STOP breeding such deformed, inbred animals, and stop breeding for aesthetic reasons.

Because it makes so much more sense to stop breeding and let the BYB take over and destroy the breeds, rather than correct the problems :?

Last edited:
I did look at rescues, some of them I found on my own others were advised by members.
The giants I saw in rescues (on the internet) were (at that time) 4-8 hours traveling away.
I'm also on a Dutch rabbit forum (forum is also against breeding and for adopting from rescues etc.)
The rescues do homechecks not further than 1 hour + I was also advised not to get a rabbit from that far because of the stress the rabbit would have with the journey.

Yes it is selfish to get a rabbit from a breeder, but IMO it is selfish to want an animal at all.
I acknowledge that I am selfish in wanting a rabbit, in wanting a particular breed and thus not rehoming a rabbit from a rescue.
When I'm going to look for her husbun I'm going to look at rescues again and see what they have.

On a side note: It is also selfish to want children because there are many children who want to be adopted (even though adoption procedure is very expensive and difficult) but that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell people they shouldn't have children, or they should only consider adopting, before "breeding" themselves.

I got my rabbit from a breeder after finding out that (at that time) there were not giants available near me for adoption. I also did not go on a waiting list with a breeder nor will I ever do, she was already born and if I hadn't taken her someone else would most probably have and I don't know how that person would have treated her. I saw a couple of giants on preloved and people getting rid of them because it turned out that they were "bigger than expected" or they got a dog and the rabbit and dog didn't get on well, or their children were afraid of the rabbit. I have tried to contact all these people, sending messages etc but never got any reply.

One last thing about rescues:
I do think they do amazing work and I do recommend them to anyone I speak to about rabbits/hamsters etc. but for me as a foreigner they have difficult to understand rules for rehoming and there were several rescues where I didn't understand the terms at all. :oops:

It just never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who say.... "rescues do a fantastic job, where would we be without them, i support them" .... but i got mine from a breeder :( :( :(

I did look at rescues, some of them I found on my own others were advised by members.
The giants I saw in rescues (on the internet) were (at that time) 4-8 hours traveling away.
I'm also on a Dutch rabbit forum (forum is also against breeding and for adopting from rescues etc.)
The rescues do homechecks not further than 1 hour + I was also advised not to get a rabbit from that far because of the stress the rabbit would have with the journey.

Yes it is selfish to get a rabbit from a breeder, but IMO it is selfish to want an animal at all.
I acknowledge that I am selfish in wanting a rabbit, in wanting a particular breed and thus not rehoming a rabbit from a rescue.
When I'm going to look for her husbun I'm going to look at rescues again and see what they have.

On a side note: It is also selfish to want children because there are many children who want to be adopted (even though adoption procedure is very expensive and difficult) but that doesn't mean that I'm going to tell people they shouldn't have children, or they should only consider adopting, before "breeding" themselves.

I got my rabbit from a breeder after finding out that (at that time) there were not giants available near me for adoption. I also did not go on a waiting list with a breeder nor will I ever do, she was already born and if I hadn't taken her someone else would most probably have and I don't know how that person would have treated her. I saw a couple of giants on preloved and people getting rid of them because it turned out that they were "bigger than expected" or they got a dog and the rabbit and dog didn't get on well, or their children were afraid of the rabbit. I have tried to contact all these people, sending messages etc but never got any reply.

One last thing about rescues:
I do think they do amazing work and I do recommend them to anyone I speak to about rabbits/hamsters etc. but for me as a foreigner they have difficult to understand rules for rehoming and there were several rescues where I didn't understand the terms at all. :oops:

It is selfish to want a pet but it's more selfish to pay to bring another animal into the world or pay someone who has already done this rather than rescue one that's already there and need love.

We know the issues we know what could help and what does help but so many choose not to and choose to get a breeders one....
If you asked someone for help on here I am sure a bun run would be arranged if the bun is far.

Many rescues will not turn you away for being too far but will insist you have the correct size carrier and make the journey as less stressful as possible I have adopted 3 bunnies and 2 were from hours away and they just said make the journey as comfortable as possible. They are very respected rescues

You can ask rescues if you can instead show them a photo of your set up have a detailed conversation about rabbit care, show your are a member of this forum and have them contact your vet and give your vet permission to talk to them this is another well accepted and noted way of being accepted for adoption for rescues
I had this with my two who were over an hour away.

If you ask a rescue to explain their terms and conditions they will be happy to do so please don't let this stop you from rescuing as if you talk to any rescue on here even though you are not close to them they will do what they can for you if you want to adopt a bun from them all you have to do is ask

I don't see the point in bringing children into the discussion as were talking about animals not humans they are defenceless and we do this to them they don't have a choice we could stop this but choose not to.... Adopting vs having children is a completely different debate with completely different biological and psychological issues. You can't compare the two. There also isn't anyone forcing people to breed and then selling the babies....

Last edited:
Back