• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you risk spaying an 8 year old?/ We've lost her/ pm results post 75

i wouldnt. but then i wouldnt be brave enough to get a girl done full stop :oops:

i did it because i would feel awful if she got cancer. i feel awful now, but i'm hoping this will pass and tabby will recover.

Hugo's There, your decision about your older bun seems the most reasonable and kindest option considering her time of life.

Thought I would update this thread, as once again things haven't worked out as I had hoped :roll: :lol:

When Missus arrived it was clear that she was extremely hormonal. She is very aggressive and regularly pulling out fur to build nests :shock: She is actually the most hormonal rabbit I have ever met. I feel so sorry for her that she has been that unsettled for 8 and half years :(

She has had another check with the vet today and they have agreed that she needs to be spayed and is booked in for next Monday. The vet thinks that she has cystic ovaries as they feel enlarged :? We wont know for certain until she is opened up but given that she needs spaying anyway there was no point doing dignostics first.

The vet has warned me that the operation is high risk because of her age and we have no idea what they will find until she is opened up but we all feel we have very little choice, otherwise she is never going to be able to be happy and relaxed.

Despite her atrocious behaviour I have developed a big soft spot for this old girl :love:

Poor girl, what a rough time. I hope she hasnt been cystic all her life?! :shock: Here's hoping she'll get through the op ok and be a much happier bun for it

Poor girl, what a rough time. I hope she hasnt been cystic all her life?! :shock: Here's hoping she'll get through the op ok and be a much happier bun for it

She has been used for breeding thats about all I know about her. She was at her previous home ( a breeder) from the age of 2 years. Before that I have no idea.

I really hope she gets through it and is able to settle down. She is always on the go. I have only seen her sleep a few times and she snores like an old man :lol:

I know that you only make decisions based on the facts that your given at the time. I think under these circumstances, its her only chance of enjoying the rest of her life. I really hope that all goes well.

Angela

She has been used for breeding thats about all I know about her. She was at her previous home ( a breeder) from the age of 2 years. Before that I have no idea.

I really hope she gets through it and is able to settle down. She is always on the go. I have only seen her sleep a few times and she snores like an old man :lol:

aww, bless her. If she was previously breeding then i'd suspect she is cystic because she has stopped breeding and so is experiencing hormone overload (thats not a technical term.....cant be bothered to go look it up! :roll:)

aww, bless her. If she was previously breeding then i'd suspect she is cystic because she has stopped breeding and so is experiencing hormone overload (thats not a technical term.....cant be bothered to go look it up! :roll:)

Its technical enough for me :lol:

Forgot to say she also needs a dental so this will be done at the same time if all is going Ok under GA

Poor Missus, she must be feeling very frustrated with all those hormones raging round. :( I'll keep everything crossed for Monday. :love:

Poor Missus, she must be feeling very frustrated with all those hormones raging round. :( I'll keep everything crossed for Monday. :love:

Thanks Karen.

It would be good to be able to put her food bowl in and know that you will definately still have all your fingers afterwards:lol:

I think you are making the best decision for this fiesty old lady:love:

I also have a question...do unspayed does that have been bred from have less chance of developing uterine cancer than does that haven't been bred?
The reason I ask is because I had a "breeder" tell me this once.

Lots of vibes for the spay on Monday!

:wave: Best of luck, what a tough decision, you've made it with her best interests at heart and fingers crossed all goes well and to plan. She might be a tough ole girl ;) x

Missus has just gone up to the vets for her spay and dental. She didn't seem quite as lively as usual this morning :? She did have a long time in the big run yesterday for the first time in ages so hopefully she is just tired.

Please keep your fingers crossed for her, I am so worried about what they are going to find when they open her up :?

Missus has just gone up to the vets for her spay and dental. She didn't seem quite as lively as usual this morning :? She did have a long time in the big run yesterday for the first time in ages so hopefully she is just tired.

Please keep your fingers crossed for her, I am so worried about what they are going to find when they open her up :?

Heaps of vibes coming her way.......

Back