• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old bunny very upset with new bunny

kimberley

New Kit
Bundy is a neutered 1 year old male and we just lost his life mate, Spud, suddenly who he had a great bond with. She died under anaesthesia for spaying. The vet advised us to get another female rabbit. We just got a new girl around 8 months old and she is super friendly, playful and trusting. She also seems really keen on getting to know Bundy but he growls, lunges and tries to bite her through the pen. He's usually a mild tempered trusting of anyone kind of bun! It's only day 2 and when they met face to face in neutral territory Bundy was extremely aggressive, I only read afterwards we should wait a week or so before doing dates so I feel a bit bad.
I have their pens close but not touching, however Bundy can't cope with her free roaming while he's in his pen, we even put blankets around the sides to stop her sticking her nose in because she's so curious but our usually tame boy was pacing and rattling the cage, wouldn't even accept banana for distraction! When he's roaming we have to keep blankets over her pen too because he keeps sticking his nose in and when she tries to lick his face he snaps at her!
It seems he can't tolerate even the thought of her and I'm wondering if this bodes badly for future bonding. She has yet to be spayed and we will do that soon but I'm understandably nervous about spaying her after what happened to dear Spud! I didn't expect him to react so aggressively considering he had a happy relationship with an unspayed female before.
I have to free roam her in a different room now so he doesn't know she's outside her pen and I'm worried about trying stress bonding because I feel like I'd be putting a mouse in a box with an angry cat and he would tear her up the second I put them in together. I feel all I can do is swap their pens each night and let him deal with having to smell her scent her all night.
I understand I may have to wait til she's been spayed before starting face to face dates agaib but she has showed zero aggression or dominant behaviour to him, just pure curiosity and he lashes out at her at any opportunity so I'm not entirely sure if it will change his behaviour towards her.
Does anyone have any suggestions considering we've started out with violence? Even something to make him tolerate her presence in the room? Should I go try stress bonding early on? Should I seek a professional instead? I'm so worried they'll never get along now.

Has he been neutered?

I would wait until she has also been neutered, healed up, then try bonding on totally neutral territory. Keep them totally separate until then - ie different rooms, if you can - out of sight and smell of each other. It won't help any future bond if he is getting wound up - he obviously doesn't like an intruder on his patch, so any future meeting will have to be somewhere that he doesn't consider to be 'his' territory. Any aggression now may lead to a full on fight, and a poor outcome for a successful bond. Don't rush it.

No advice. Please accept my condolances on the loss of Spud. It is unfortunate she passed when you were trying to give her a healthier future. Your new doe sounds lovely so I hope your buck mellows to her presence.

Someone I know who is an extremely experienced bonder doesn't recommend swapping litter trays etc as it will just wind up the rabbit who is already unhappy with the'intruder'. He will be more likely to be aggressive as he has reason to believe she has been entering his territory uninvited. (That's the theory, whether it is always the case or not I can't say but the theory makes a lot of sense to me).

I hope it works out for you. You are trying so hard to get it right for them and meeting so much stress for your troubles!

Has he been neutered?

I would wait until she has also been neutered, healed up, then try bonding on totally neutral territory. Keep them totally separate until then - ie different rooms, if you can - out of sight and smell of each other. It won't help any future bond if he is getting wound up - he obviously doesn't like an intruder on his patch, so any future meeting will have to be somewhere that he doesn't consider to be 'his' territory. Any aggression now may lead to a full on fight, and a poor outcome for a successful bond. Don't rush it.

Yes Bundy has been neutered. This new doe appears to me very slight and possibly younger than her previous owners believed so I'm having my own vet check her again and if she is old enough we'll book the spaying (I would have adopted a rescue but there were very few rabbits in the centres! The only few were male and most already in pairs. I was surprised as it's not usually like that).
The neutral territory meeting was where he showed his worst aggression so I've found a professional bonder with fantastic reviews that I might have to employ!
Thank you for your advice, I'll keep them in different rooms now so hopefully he'll forget about her until their next meeting in a couple weeks!

Thanks for these links! Very interesting as they advise against a lot of things that others have said are necessary e.g. stress bonding and meeting in bathtubs. I'll keep this info in mind

Thanks for these links! Very interesting as they advise against a lot of things that others have said are necessary e.g. stress bonding and meeting in bathtubs. I'll keep this info in mind

Personally I never use any form of stress bonding as I do not agree with it. Good luck with trying to get your two together x

As soon as I moved her and her pen from the living room Bundy started prancing and binkying around the room! He's so happy she's gone! I feel bad that she's in our bedroom now because the living room is the most social area of our home but we'll just have to change our habits to suit both of them. Thank you to everyone here for their advice and condolences for Spud x

Back