• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you give up?

Ignoring is ok - they are just trying to fool each other they are not falling in love :lol: Bunnies & you have done well

It takes time for a bond to develop, just be glad they are not fighting. I couldn't see the photo.

I changed my profile picture to a photo of them but I'm not sure it shows up very well! Yes I am very happy they are not fighting :) Thanks everyone one here for all the help, advice and encouragement, we couldn't have done it without you all :)

IiBM1Cf

Hi, unfortunately things haven't gone so well yesterday and today. Yesterday I gave them a bit more space so they now have about 4 times what they started with which is about half the room. They had been ignoring each other quite a bit still and shadow had done a bit of chasing. Yesterday he just wouldn't stop trying to mount her. Luckily she didn't get aggressive with him like she would have before, no nipping etc, she would tolerate for a second, put her head down and try to appease him but he wouldn't stop so she would just hop away but he would keep chasing her so she would keep having to run. Eventually he would stop with a distraction. He did this a lot during the day and wouldn't seem to give her a moments piece, she would lie down and he would come over and bother her, put his face all over her back then try mounting. They had been eating very well together, pushing and shoving each other when you put food down but not in a bad way if you know what I mean, both of them were ok with that. But yesterday I didn't see if shadow did anything but hazel would come over at first then go away again after a couple of mouthfuls which is very unlike her. When I put a pile of grass down for example, she would eat a bit then she would go off and come back when he was done. Sometimes he seems to be wanting to mount her and others he just wanted to go where she was and she would just move out the way and he would be satisfied with that. He did that for example with the water bowl. It seems like he has decided he doesn't really want to share at the moment. Hazel didn't seem upset by it, it just seemed like she was resigned to it even if it was maybe irritating her. But this morning she seemed subdued, they were lying near each other when we got up but when we went in, they both came over to see if we had anything and he immediatley tried to mount her and chased after her when she ran. I put some fresh hay down with their sprinkle of nuggets and she wouldn't even come over for it. I stroked her and she settled down, I put some nuggets in front of her and she ate 1 or 2 and stopped. She seemed very upset. I stroked her for a while and she perked up and then started eating and moved around again. Shadow settled next to her for a minute or 2 while I stroked them both but then again tried to mount her so she got up and moved. He tends to be making that kind of honking noise a bit (he was neutered back in february). She has been more lively and happy now, she just keeps hopping away when he tries and he doesn't chase for long, similar to yesterday. I decided to bring in their 2 circular cat beds that they both love sleeping on, hazel settled straight away, shadow wouldn't for a while but he did just have about 10 minutes where they were nose to nose and she was grooming him but then she went off to get food, they had another little chase and now are sitting seperate again. I have noticed that Shadow seems very hyper, like you can't really get him to calm down for a stroke/cuddle like you normally can. Usually even if he is in the middle of running round like crazy, if you stroke him he will just stop and settle down crunching. At the moment he keeps going to the boundarya lot and staring through the gate and he has stamped his feet a few times. He seems to want to get out to more space (and probably run into the hallway and downstairs). Right now he has settled down again. I am thinking of carrying on the same for now as I did read on another thread that they can carry on like this for a week before it settles? I thought as long as I make sure she eats and drinks ok then maybe it will just die down? I know things can go backwards but I was encouraged that she was grooming him again so I guess she doesn't hate him!

I think they just have some "sorting out" to do yet. Chasing by the male is perfectly normal and it usually lasts for up to 3 days. Also not allowing the female near the food is normal. As soon as he feels she knows her place then they will settle down; maybe you could tell him off a bit if he is not being nice to her and he may get the message and calm down a bit. Don't appear worried or upset as this might make him worse.

We had a lot of this with our two, unfortunately Rodney got very nippy and mounty each time we expanded their space.

Almost like they needed to resort things out for each increase.

They did get very cooped up but expanding it too quickly led to days of problems, in the end we had to expand the space one panel at a time and let them sort it out.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back