• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would anyone suggest slow bonding or just get on with it

The only un neutral territory in my room is the kitchen and I was thinking of putting both freerange in the kitchen with both litter trays and one hay bowl and pellet bowl and water..I'm abit scared as I'm doing this on my own

The only un neutral territory in my room is the kitchen and I was thinking of putting both freerange in the kitchen with both litter trays and one hay bowl and pellet bowl and water..I'm abit scared as I'm doing this on my own

You can't allow them free-range Kirsty, you'll need a small area, something 4foot by 2 foot approximately to start with.

Nothing in there, no litter trays, no food bowls (but a water bowl should be fine, mine had one after an hour or so) as they could be claimed.

Once you do put the litter trays etc in, THEY MUST be totally 100% neutralised with the vinegar solution.

Spread hay about on the floor, dont have it in a rack/bowl.

And be ready for lots of rolling poops around your kitchen :lol: they fly about all over the shop when they chase, im still finding them in random locations and chasing stopped really 2 days ago :lol:

You aren't on your own, RU is here for you :) I did my two on my own, i gathered so much information from here before i tried. I would really suggest you allow your new bun to settle in for a week or so at least first however, but thats my opinion. I'm sure the fact they 'knew' each other helped.

I am confused. You need a neutral territory, if your kitchen is unneutral as with all areas which are unneutral you need to remove all smells from everything otherwise they are very liekly to injure themselves.

Freeranging rabbits in an area to bond them is ill advised as if they fight and require separating you will hve problems getting to them. A smallish space approximately 4 x 2 foot is advised. Any item put into this neutral area needs to not smell of any rabbit, litter trays need to be soaked in vinegar and then rinsed out before use if they have previously been used. I would avoid a pellet bowl and measure out their daily allowance and slowly hand feed over the period of the day or to sprinkle them on the floor.

If you are not confident, you are better to find a local resuce and ask if they will accept a donation for bonding them for you. Whilst they would be away you can scrub your accomodation to remove all smells from your place.

Ok graham..well I have resorted to asking the rescue to bond for me,as I have Brought Alfie in my bedroom with me for his own freerange time and Sophie where she is as I haven't been given enough time to prepare..I went to the rescue yest to see him and did make it clear previously I would bring him home once I had everything ready but she gave me him yest before I has time to think..and it will be too much for Alfie to settle in to a new home aswell as meet Sophie so I'm just waiting to see when this can be done x

This stuff has been covered a lot in your other threads, yet you're still asking the same questions and ignoring advice previously given. Its a bit hard for us to productively help you in that sense, because you're not paying attention to what we say, then asking again later on.

Ok graham..well I have resorted to asking the rescue to bond for me,as I have Brought Alfie in my bedroom with me for his own freerange time and Sophie where she is as I haven't been given enough time to prepare..I went to the rescue yest to see him and did make it clear previously I would bring him home once I had everything ready but she gave me him yest before I has time to think..and it will be too much for Alfie to settle in to a new home aswell as meet Sophie so I'm just waiting to see when this can be done x

That sounds a good plan. Ensure the rescue knows what it is doing.

Also, if you find yourself in that situation again, you need to say no and that you want Alfie, but that you need to go home and sort an area out and will collect him as soon as possible And make an arrangement when to pick him up.

That sounds a good plan. Ensure the rescue knows what it is doing.

Also, if you find yourself in that situation again, you need to say no and that you want Alfie, but that you need to go home and sort an area out and will collect him as soon as possible And make an arrangement when to pick him up.

This ^^

I'm not sure why a 'rescue' would have just 'palmed him off' on to you without any preparation time etc. You could of said 'no' and arrange a more convenient time to collect? :?

This stuff has been covered a lot in your other threads, yet you're still asking the same questions and ignoring advice previously given. Its a bit hard for us to productively help you in that sense, because you're not paying attention to what we say, then asking again later on.

I'm just very nervous and at home my own which makes me even more stressed,never done this before and I'm not ignoring Anyones advice..I'm just concerned

Even my OH was shocked at how quick,we was only there 20 mins and I did make it clear previous when I spoke to her earlier this week

Even my OH was shocked at how quick,we was only there 20 mins and I did make it clear previous when I spoke to her earlier this week

So if you made it clear, how comes you took him home?

I guess there's not much you can do about it now, just seems odd.

Hope the bonding at the Rescue goes well :)

They are going to look lovely together.

Hey Kirst,

I've just done a bonding this morning. My two aggressive buns. I put my nippy one in after my food aggressive bun. I put patch directly into patchs 3ft x2ft indoor pen. I put both water bottles on for them. There is one litter tray and it's blazes hay rack in there. That is all.

First blaze went over immediately started grooming patches head. After which - about 5 minutes in, Blaze chased a little at first, so i intervened, but then as they seemed ok, i let blaze chase, as it was his territory. Blaze didn't harm patch, i made sure it was strictly supervised and raised my voice if i thought blaze was pestering patch too much. Then i spoke to them both, letting them know they should just love each other and be friends (sounds daft), but the gentle soothing voice helped reiterate that everything was ok.

Blaze chased patch around into the tray, then out, i have seen ama (one of my other buns) do this when she wants to keep her run tidy with the girls she is with. I.e make sure they use the correct toilet area.

They are now both happy- it's been about 3 hours since i started this morning. Blaze gently guides patch where he would like him to go- and patch obeys- showing me patches quite happy to be the submissive one. I think this is the case. We will see as time goes on.

I am happy with the way things are progressing. I don't speak to them at this stage. I just overlook them to make sure nothing bad is happening. They are both very very settled now, laid out together. Not grooming, but not getting on each others nerves, just being with each other. So in a 3ft hutch this is good. Any smaller or bigger. I think there may be problems. There needs to be enough space for them to get away,but not too much so they are able to be apart to much.

It's a fine balance. It's very enjoyable to watch bunnys bonding- but a little nerve racking.

Just letting you know my morning experience- hope that helps and inspires you xx

p.s it's quite funny as patch doesn't eat hay, but he is eating hay today and grooming himself in blazes litter tray, so i think he is quite comfy. He isn't on guard, although i can see he is aware. I'm letting them know they are both clever and good boys. Just again it's been awhile since i spoke to them, so just to grab there attention a little let them know all is well. They are also both happily eating out of both bowls.

I think blaze has adopted patch now. Probably get a bite if i try take him out of there :) Very cute. Both are drinking, eating, using the litter tray fairly and giving each other enough time apart, but also being gentle with each other about the introduction.

Alot of the time it's down to the buns how they will bond. Some bunnys i can tell most instantly that they won't bond. They attack almost straight away. Buns that will bond do more chasing and just try dominate. Buns that don't like each other go for each other pretty outright in my experience.

Last edited:
Thanx ambience :) that is good and quick,I'm going to let the rescue do it as I am not confident enough and will feel much more at ease and more fair on buns,Alfie is extremely scared of me so it's quite alot for him to take in,Thanx for being so kind with your advice :)

Thanx ambience :) that is good and quick,I'm going to let the rescue do it as I am not confident enough and will feel much more at ease and more fair on buns,Alfie is extremely scared of me so it's quite alot for him to take in,Thanx for being so kind with your advice :)

Well all the best with that. I'm sure the rescue will be able to do it fine, as it will be in a different environment and no doubt both buns will be frightened. Often a prerequisite for successful bonding. It's good if he is scared of you as he will naturally be drawn towards your other bun. It's just weather your other bun will accept him now. Most frightened bunny's will accept each other. I really look forward to seeing some pictures of your two bonded :)

Good luck xx

:) you sound so much more experienced than me lol

You'll be fine :) Here is the setup i had them in today.Just a small 3x2ft space. I can't believe how amazingly they are getting on now. I felt confident leaving them for an hour whilst i was at the vets. I've come back and they are snuggled up together- adorable! Two unlikely buns to bond in my view, but massive success, it seems like they needed each other all along. They look like soul-mates looking at them bless them. My other buns didn't actually bond quite so gently and easily.Those vet runs in the carrier together i suspect have something to do with the easy bonding. They are both poorly buns, with permanent runny eyes and dental problems. I hope that bonding them together will improve their health all round. Fingers crossed.

VtnRQl.jpg

You'll be fine :) Here is the setup i had them in today.Just a small 3x2ft space. I can't believe how amazingly they are getting on now. I felt confident leaving them for an hour whilst i was at the vets. I've come back and they are snuggled up together- adorable! Two unlikely buns to bond in my view, but massive success, it seems like they needed each other all along. They look like soul-mates looking at them bless them. My other buns didn't actually bond quite so gently and easily.Those vet runs in the carrier together i suspect have something to do with the easy bonding. They are both poorly buns, with permanent runny eyes and dental problems. I hope that bonding them together will improve their health all round. Fingers crossed.

So without intending to, you did the slow bonding method in preparation for them being properly bonded.

Back