• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would anyone suggest slow bonding or just get on with it

I only have ever done the 'get on with it method' and apart from about 6 bondings which I have abandonded the others have all worked, not bad out of the numbers involved.

My own feeling is that it is less stressful for the buns to do it this way.

I think there is a place for it, but its important to understand the rabbits involved and know why its best.

I'm definately no expert but after following advise on here I just got on with it one weekend when I could be there all the time and my two are now happily bonded, two weeks on and you would think they had always been together, I may have been lucky but they are really loved up now it's lovely to see :love:
I would say just keep calm and give it a go....good luck if you do :D

What's the best idea..to let Alfie settle in and get used to me and OH and then bond with sophie or just bond with Sophie because both at the same time won't happen will it?

I'm no expert

We've only done it 3 times - lonely male and female every time, which we think is the easiest. We just went for it. Never any problems. Wedded bliss almost within minutes, followed by careful supervision, but apart from a bit of humping, not excessive, no problems.

Well I'm going to put them in a neutral place tomorrow and use Alfies base for them both so Sophie can smell him..and supervise them for half an hour but I will be doing this on my own as other half will be at work

Hi. I have just bonded my two rabbits, i let them see and smell each other through the cages for a few months as we had to wait after Benjis neuter, then i had a full weekend starting with them in a new pen in a totally neutral area, with me supervising for 48 hours, then we moved them back to the conservatory in a pen attached to a cage where everything had been cleaned with vinegar to get rid of any previous smells. This has worked really well, they now lie, eat and groom together and each other and its lovely to see! Just prepare well, take your time and it should work.

Is there anything else that can be used to neutralise a room other than vinegar, i need to do my dining and living room and wondered if there is a nicer smelling neutraliser?

I'm not sure about a better neutraliser as I'm New to all of this..do you think it would be an idea to put them in a carrier each and let them sniff through them bars whilst I'm neutralising sophies area..will this work?

I'm not sure about a better neutraliser as I'm New to all of this..do you think it would be an idea to put them in a carrier each and let them sniff through them bars whilst I'm neutralising sophies area..will this work?

I have bonded many rabbits over the years and I always just get on with it. Some rabbits find having others in close proximity quite threatening and stressful. When I first fostered rabbits in 2 storey hutches with mesh bottom areas which were side by side, some rabbits hated being able to see others through the mesh and we ended up having to put boards down the sides of the runs to stop them seeing each other.

For some rabbits being next to each other is not a problem, it is how do you prove which ones get stressed by it and which ones don't. My personal feeling is that bonding is so stressful for buns (and their owners) that it is best to minimise the length of time that they are stressed and just get on with it. After all stress can lead to stasis, compromised immune systems etc.

I have bonded many rabbits over the years and I always just get on with it. Some rabbits find having others in close proximity quite threatening and stressful. When I first fostered rabbits in 2 storey hutches with mesh bottom areas which were side by side, some rabbits hated being able to see others through the mesh and we ended up having to put boards down the sides of the runs to stop them seeing each other.

For some rabbits being next to each other is not a problem, it is how do you prove which ones get stressed by it and which ones don't. My personal feeling is that bonding is so stressful for buns (and their owners) that it is best to minimise the length of time that they are stressed and just get on with it. After all stress can lead to stasis, compromised immune systems etc.

My main concern is that I dont really have a area that Sophie hasn't been in before so she will be territorial in each room so any suggestions? Is my idea any good?

My method is bond them together straight away, although i've had a couple of mine bonding on vet trips unexpectedly, so they can bond over time, but i have had most success by just putting them all in a dog crate and letting them sort it out between them, with as little input from me as possible.

I would love to do this but sophie is being territorial of her environment so not sure what to do as sophs been in all the room

I have borrowed a sleeping cage for Alfie which will have neither smell of Alfie or Sophie would it be ok to put them in their together

I would love to do this but sophie is being territorial of her environment so not sure what to do as sophs been in all the room

A bonding will only work if you do the preparation to ensure that you neutralise the area you use and then as you expand the area that all these new areas are all neutralised as they are introduced to them as a pair. It is possible to neutralise any area, however it does take thought and effort.

You can start by restricting area a few weeks in advance and then clean the area they have not been on with a smelly substance to mask the smells.

If preparation is not done you are almost certain to end up with nasty expensive injuries to one or both of your rabbits. One option is to send them away and get soemone to do the bonding for you, however again they need to have neutral territory on their return, if this is not available it is again very likely that they will cause nasty injuries to each other.

I have borrowed a sleeping cage for Alfie which will have neither smell of Alfie or Sophie would it be ok to put them in their together

Whilst the cage may be neutral and not smell of either of them, the area that they are in will smell of your buns, this area needs to be neutralised.

Yes that would be fine. I would literally put them in together, don't give them chance to think about each other. Be fast, confident. Don't pamper them or give them reassurance- they need to seek that in each other.

They need to wonder what is up with their bunny mummy- and seek comfort in each other. A new environment is frightening, especially if they are put together unexpectedly. If it's too safe they will feel confident enough to turn on one another.

I find making the environment as uncomfortable as possible works. Usually that's just by my mannerisms that makes them think, what is going on with our mummy. They huddle initially, then they start exploring each other.

If they start being too forward with each other. I say no firmly, I don't interfere, my voice is enough to make them reconsider turning on each other, then shortly within 3 days max, they are fine and live happily ever after :)

Be quiet throughout the process and don't talk to them except to say no, but be careful when you say this. Don't distract them unnecessarily. xx

P.s if it's a crate you can carry around the room- do that. Or just get them in a carrier first that is neutral and walk the around, then expand from there. If it's not meant to be, you will know. Bonding shouldn't be that hard. Buns like each other of they don't. The ones that don't, will require a load more work.

Last edited:

50:50 white vinegar/water - cleaned all items of equipment (pen panels, etc) washed skirting boards, and walls (lightly, it takes paint off :shock:)

Vanish carpet cleaner (spray on, leave 2 hours, hoover)
Shake and Vac the carpets
Febreeze the carpets
Febreeze the sofas

Wash all units/tables with hot soapy water mixed with a little white vinegar (maybe 70/30)

That was all done on Sunday, whilst they are up in my office being bonded, totally 100% neutral territory.

I'm doing the same all over again on Saturday, before i go out in the evening, then Sunday morning they are moving in together in their permanent new home.

I guess i've spent in excess of 20 hours cleaning already, and probably about another 6 or so on Saturday.

I didn't want to run any kind of risk.

Hope my experience helps you.

Back