• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would anyone suggest slow bonding or just get on with it

:D we have a blissful and slow bond coming along..a lady from the rescue came to mine and helped me,she put them together and there was no fighting only Alfie humping which the lady instantly stopped :)

I did the slow method - not that I knew it at the time (my days before RU).. Oreo was a baby and Sooty was due to be spayed so I housed them side by side - they grew up together - well behind bars and it was the easiest bond ever but I only did it that way as I had to!

Yeh the lady has advices to put Alfie cage in near her and let them sniff and get used to each other and at the min Sophie is sprawled out next to his cage :)

Glad you feel all is going well

I had been reading your thread as you seem to be in a similar position as we were a few weeks ago.

We adopted Harry from a sanctuary as company for Molly our house rabbit who gets free range of the downstairs. We did the slow bonding with cages side by side for weeks but we found that when they were out in the garden together there was aggression. We then tried the bath (a neutral area) - not a good move - it was too hard to keep control in that situation. Eventually we cordoned off a 2ft by 3ft area in the utility room. There was humping, and grunting but no real aggression. (Humping is normal unless it is back to front). After a few days we made the area slightly larger. I couldnt bear to keep them enclosed for too long so still let them out in the garden when i could but the tips i was given on this site really seemed to say that the confinement to a small area would increase the bond quicker.

Molly and Harry have now moved into the full sized utility room with toys, litter trays and bedding - they never made it back into their cage and roam inside and out when we are at home. They groom each other and snuggle up together - they are companions but not infatuated with each other, but maybe that will come.

I wish you well, you will get there.

Glad you feel all is going well

I had been reading your thread as you seem to be in a similar position as we were a few weeks ago.

We adopted Harry from a sanctuary as company for Molly our house rabbit who gets free range of the downstairs. We did the slow bonding with cages side by side for weeks but we found that when they were out in the garden together there was aggression. We then tried the bath (a neutral area) - not a good move - it was too hard to keep control in that situation. Eventually we cordoned off a 2ft by 3ft area in the utility room. There was humping, and grunting but no real aggression. (Humping is normal unless it is back to front). After a few days we made the area slightly larger. I couldnt bear to keep them enclosed for too long so still let them out in the garden when i could but
the tips i was given on this site really seemed to say that the confinement to a small area would increase the bond quicker.
Molly and Harry have now moved into the full sized utility room with toys, litter trays and bedding - they never made it back into their cage and roam inside
and out when we are at home. They groom each other and snuggle up together - they are companions but not infatuated with each other, but maybe that will come.

I wish you well, you will get there.

Thanks Hun..it's going well to say that the lady has put Alfie into sophies pen and she is being very welcoming,they hump and chase but only had one fight in two days,they have been together for about 4 hours today and no aggression but no licking yet :( xx

Back