• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worst thing Imaginable

How simply dreadful...Im so sorry for your loss.Im struggling with it,so cant imagine how it is for you.Just before Christmas.
You are in my thoughts.xxxxxxxxx

I am really sorry for your loss, its devastating to lose a much loved pet even in the best of circumstances let alone what you've been through. However I am inclined to agree with halfpenny, this was a tragic accident and the dog is not to blame. There was no malice on her part it is just nature.
I agree... I have three dogs that would kill my bunnies without a second thought! I am fully aware of that and don't blame them for their instincts. I am extremely careful that the dogs have no access to the bunnies when they are roaming free in their room, but should the unthinkable ever happen, then I certainly could never blame my dogs for it. It's their instinct and it is up to us carers to keep both bunnies and dogs safe!

I fully understand how you feel towards the dog now and I am very sorry for your loss, but I do think that it's not the dog's fault and the fact that the dog managed to get to your bunnies is a failure in the security system provided by the humans. However well tempered a dog is (like my spaniel for example), I would never trust them fully without supervision and will always be ultracareful with keeping everyone safe.

Vera

I'm so sorry. I have tears in my eyes thinking about it. I don't think I would ever be able to trust the dog again.:( Did she rip the handle off herself? Try not to blame yourself. There is nothing that you could have done. You loved the bunnies for many years, and I'm sure they had a wonderful life with you. I hope, in time, you can get past this. :cry:

Thankyou

Thankyou everyone for your kind words. It turns out she didn't eat them all as I thought.
I put tara (the dog) in the spare room last night and when I got up in the night I discovered Nos lying on the bed beside her. She must have burried him and then she dug him up lastnight. She was out and in the dog flap all night and bits of Kelpie were on the kitchen floor this morning.
I am going to bury what I can today. The numbness is starting to set in now.
I understand it was nature to her but yes she did rip the handle of the door to get in to them. I know I could never keep another rabbit with her in the house.

I'll always love you Kelpie my beautiful snow bunny. I can see you playing with Truffles on rainbow bridge.
Nos the pain of your tumour is gone now. Be at peace now my love.

I would like to put their pictures up as a tribute. If anyone can tell me how to do this here I'd be very grateful.
Thankyou again everybody.

How awful for you, I am so very sorry for your losses.
I am not a dog lover at all, I only keep rabbits and guineas, perhaps give it some time and make the decision what to do regards the dog once the shock has passed :cry:

To post photos, sign up for a photobucket account (free), upload photos from your PC and once uploaded, right click and copy the {IMG} code under the photo and paste it onto your post on here.

How awful for you, I am so sorry. I am sure that time will make it easier, but you will never stop missing your little ones.

Please please don't blame yourself. Sometimes you can do everything right but it can all go so wrong. Your babies knew you loved them and when they passed they did so after a wonderful life with you.

As for the dog, I would not be able to allow it anywhere near any other animal of mine. I would despise and resent it, although it may well be unfair to do so, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Thoughts are with you. xxxxx

So sorry to hear about your bunnies - cant imagine how you must feel or what you must be going through :(

:shock::cry: I am really sorry that this has happened to your bunnies but, please don't blame the dog. It is a particularly aggressive thing for the dog to do but, it's certainly instinctive rather than pre-meditated or for fun. Just out of interest which breed is the dog? The only other thing I would add is that in no way can the dog be trusted to be around the cats, they are more able to defend themselves than rabbits but still no match. This dog has tasted blood and will now have a taste for 'hunting' it may only be a matter of time before the cat takes a wrong turn or falls etc etc and the dog siezes the moment. Don't take the risk. If its any consolation the chances are that the rabbits would have had a very swift ending - they may have gone into shock or died of fright before anything else happened. Don't blame yourself - they will know it was not your fault. Fate sometimes deals a horrible blow and you cannot reason why, you just have to accept it was meant to be. You may never know why but, trust that they are at peace now. I can imagine how painful it must be but, you have to accept that the dog is an animal with an underlying characteristic which I think we forget dogs have-they are predators, please don't resent her - especially when you consider humans are eating rabbit, what is their excuse? Take care x

I read this earlier and have been upset most of the day for you. Words cannot even describe how I feel for you.

Im so very very sorry x

So very, very sorry to hear about your rabbits. It is the worst possible scenario. I think you need some proper grief couselling. Alternatively,have you heard of EFT ( emotional freedom technique). It is a very fast and efficient way of clearing all sorts of negative emotions, including grief. Best to see a professional, but you can do it yourself, if you understand the priciple. It is basically tapping on acupuncture points and saying certain positive set up and reminder phrases. It really does work. You could look it up online especially www.emofree.com. It really does work, trust me, my family and I use it lots.

Hope you feel better before too long.

Maybe you could do the unthinkable and soon get a new rabbit. Maybe a rescue bunny to give him and you some new love?
Getting our two rabbits has been the best thing imaginable to start bringing my son (19)out of a very black period in his life.

What a terrible thing to have happened:cry:

If you are keeping the dog, then may I suggest you don't get any more rabbits, as he will not leave them alone until he does the same again.

A natural reaction, but sickening none the less:(

Accepting

Thanks again everyone for all your help.
It looks like I have to keep the dog. My boyfriend simply does not understand and I would lose him if I gave her away. He loves her like a daughter and cannot keep her at home himself.
She is getting boot camp training after Christmas. Her behaviour was unacceptable even before the horrible thing she done.
I cannot help worry about the cats though he thinks my fears are unfounded. It is so sad. The lady we got Tara (the dog who's a doberman btw) of is a rabbit breeder. Her rabbits run free in the house and her dogs know not to touch them. She thinks with proper training Tara would do the same.
It's not a risk I'm prepared to take though.
Thanks again everyone and big hugs to all your beautiful buns.
xxxx

I have a dog and rabbits.... but if me dog ever EVER touched my rabbits I am afraid I would have to rehome her. This is a terrible thing to say but I dont think I would ever be able to love her after she has murdered. (mind you, I have taught my dog well, she knows the buns are a no no and doesnt even look at wild ones any more... and shes a jack russell!!)

I cant imagine anything worse. I am so sorry for your loss xxx :cry:

Thanks again everyone for all your help.
It looks like I have to keep the dog. My boyfriend simply does not understand and I would lose him if I gave her away. He loves her like a daughter and cannot keep her at home himself.
She is getting boot camp training after Christmas. Her behaviour was unacceptable even before the horrible thing she done.
I cannot help worry about the cats though he thinks my fears are unfounded. It is so sad. The lady we got Tara (the dog who's a doberman btw) of is a rabbit breeder. Her rabbits run free in the house and her dogs know not to touch them. She thinks with proper training Tara would do the same.
It's not a risk I'm prepared to take though.
Thanks again everyone and big hugs to all your beautiful buns.
xxxx

Even if the dog was my boyfriends... it would be gone. How can you look at IT without seeing red?? You have lost your beloved animals so why should he get to keep his? Grrr.

And I wouldnt mention the rabbit breeder on here, we are a rescue forum! Lol.

Im so sorry hun a couple of years ago i had one of my Guinea Pigs snatched from its run by a neighbours dog :cry: I still dont like thinking what pain he must have gone through how scared he must have been :cry: I was never able to forgive the dog and avoided it. the experience pushed me to make the run more secure and supervise alot more.

last year I had Crystal and Misty in their run and a group of stupid children let there dogs in teh garden i heard alot of barking and saw 3 dogs running around teh run barking and trying to get in to the rabbits the buns were petrified running all over the place in a panic i ran outside grabbed the dogs by their collars and threw them out the garden and litrally screamed at the kids luckily the buns recovered from the ordeal and again i went into improving the security of my garden placing locks on the gate which i can only open and placing wire mesh around the fence so nothing can get in.

Im so sorry about your loss if it was my dog id be hurt dont think i could ever forgive it but just because you cant forgive one thing doesnt mean you cant still love it.

Rip little buns xxx

Back