• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried and heart broken

Just got back from seeing him, talk about a rollercoaster ride, he was on all 4's by the time I had got there and was responding to strokes :D :D overwhelmed is an understatement, so they are giving him a few more days and if he improves even more I can bring him home!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from seeing him, talk about a rollercoaster ride, he was on all 4's by the time I had got there and was responding to strokes :D :D overwhelmed is an understatement, so they are giving him a few more days and if he improves even more I can bring him home!!!!!!!!!

Oh I am so pleased!! Go bunny :wave:

Just totally heartbroken again, been to see Mo at the vets tonight as the vet is still concerned he's not getting any better and says it wouldnt be fair to keep him this way for much longer :( he's on all fours but his head is turned right round as far as it can possibly go, hes very aware, as soon as we spoke and stroked him he responded like he knew it was us, he has no balance at all though and just falls/leans to one side :( it's been a month now since we saw signs of EC and started medication, vets convinced hes not going to get any better, how much longer should we give him please anyone?? I'm just devastated :(

Does Mo actually need to be at the vets? Is he receiving treatment other than medication, which you could give at home? I'm just wondering if he might recover better if he was at home in familiar surroundings and was with Jo.

We are going again on Friday with the view to bring home for the weekend to see how he gets on, he's only receiving medication at the vets, meta-cam, baytril and panacur, will it be fair on Jo to have Mo home then take him away again? What an awful situation to be in :( I just want my bunny to get better but it doesnt look like its going to happen.

He'll be ok at home at the weekend as we are not at work, but I'd be worried leaving him all day when we are back at work Monday, will just have to see how things go

Oh no, I'm really sorry that things are no longer looking as positive, poor Mo. I can't really advise on what you should do, but hopefully someone will be along that may be able to help. Sending vibes x

Just totally heartbroken again, been to see Mo at the vets tonight as the vet is still concerned he's not getting any better and says it wouldnt be fair to keep him this way for much longer :( he's on all fours but his head is turned right round as far as it can possibly go, hes very aware, as soon as we spoke and stroked him he responded like he knew it was us, he has no balance at all though and just falls/leans to one side :( it's been a month now since we saw signs of EC and started medication, vets convinced hes not going to get any better, how much longer should we give him please anyone?? I'm just devastated :(

Can I ask why you have not gone for second opinion on his treatment? I'm not at all sure what the Baytril is for?

If this were my rabbit I would want to ensure that every avenue had been explored and no stone unturned before making the decision for him to leave me.

It's really really hard, and heartbreaking.

However, I can understand if things are really bad and you wish to let him go now. I would totally respect your decision, as no one can tell you precisely what the problem is, or how long it may take to get better.

Sending hugs xx

Hello Mojo,

I am so sorry that Mo is stalled in his progress. If the nurse's account is accurate, that he was fine last week and this came on suddenly; I would give it a little more time with the abx or a stronger abx--unless the vet has diagnosed a problem with his brain.

Of course, you may continue treatment and still need to make 'the call' after investing more emotional, mental, physical, and financial resources. Let Mo guide you. Is he fighting still or saying 'goodbye'.

Hello Mojo,

I am so sorry that Mo is stalled in his progress. If the nurse's account is accurate, that he was fine last week and this came on suddenly; I would give it a little more time with the abx or a stronger abx--unless the vet has diagnosed a problem with his brain.

Of course, you may continue treatment and still need to make 'the call' after investing more emotional, mental, physical, and financial resources. Let Mo guide you. Is he fighting still or saying 'goodbye'.

As always, a lovely post from bunny momma. I certainly concur with the words in bold font. Only you know Mo well enough to read his needs. Whilst some Rabbits can make a degree of recovery from EC or a bacterial middle ear infection some just are not able to do so.

As bunny momma also mentioned, there are other antibiotics which the Vet could prescribe as it is often the case that Baytril is not effective for treating a middle ear infection, at least not as the only antibiotic. Other antibiotics may include an injectable penicillin such as Depocillin or an antibiotic called Zithromax (Azithromycin)

Try joining the help for head tilt hoppers facebook page as there are alot of people there with buns in a similar position . I would second the great advice given here and that stronger antibiotics may be required . I know who distressing seeing ur bun like this must be . Recovery is possible with the correct treatment even with severe tilt although some cannot. Sending vibes for u and Mo.

Thank you so much everyone, I will be ringing the vets in the morning hoping they will let us bring him home for the weekend. I feel he can do this!! I think he needs stronger medication too, I asked the vet to check his ear for possible infection, because when we stroked it the other night he shook his head after like something was irritating him!! She had a look with her Otoscope in his ear and said it was a little waxy and that is all, I want to ask them to xray his head but dont want to come across as pushy

I think/feel he is fighting, when we go see him at the vets he's aware we are there, he can get to his food and water, I dont want to give up on him but the vets are stressing he has no quality of life as he is at the moment and they can't see any improvement in him :(

Are these antibiotics only available by prescription from the vets please?
As always, a lovely post from bunny momma. I certainly concur with the words in bold font. Only you know Mo well enough to read his needs. Whilst some Rabbits can make a degree of recovery from EC or a bacterial middle ear infection some just are not able to do so.

As bunny momma also mentioned, there are other antibiotics which the Vet could prescribe as it is often the case that Baytril is not effective for treating a middle ear infection, at least not as the only antibiotic. Other antibiotics may include an injectable penicillin such as Depocillin or an antibiotic called Zithromax (Azithromycin)

Thank you, I have just asked to join the page
Try joining the help for head tilt hoppers facebook page as there are alot of people there with buns in a similar position . I would second the great advice given here and that stronger antibiotics may be required . I know who distressing seeing ur bun like this must be . Recovery is possible with the correct treatment even with severe tilt although some cannot. Sending vibes for u and Mo.

Sorry I've only just caught up with this thread . I can empathise with how stressful this is & I hope my story gives you hope (although of course all bunnies are different)
About 10 years ago I had a gorgeous wee bunny who developed head tilt that sounds as bad as yours (she only had one eye & that was the one facing the floor too). She couldn't move without rolling & we had to do everything apart from syringe feed her for 5 weeks. It was only after 5 weeks (our vet at the time wanted to pts one week in) that she showed any improvement at all. After that it was slow & steady & although she always looked a tad wonky & ran in circles she had more than 2 more happy years.

It really was a nightmare though & even though we both adjusted work hours she was left for 3 hours twice a day. During Noodles significant recovery period any travel really set her back - I'm imagining car sickness plus vertigo type feeling. All the best with your bun xx

Are these antibiotics only available by prescription from the vets please?

Yes, Depocillin and Zithromax are only available on prescription.

Your vet should be able (and hopefully willing) to prescribe them for you. They may begin to make a difference, and then even before the skull X-ray you may be making progress.

I really hope so xx

Back