• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about SS choking

I am considering perhaps going over to excel?

It's a really tricky one isn't it - personally my worry with that would be excess caecatrophs which seems to be more prevalent in excel-fed bunnies, especially in a dental bun who may not be able to get round and eat them...thus potentially increasing the risk of flystrike instead. But I guess the various risks will vary depending on each individual bun, how they tolerate different foods and which ones seem to give them more of a problem on eating.

I wonder if it is the larger size or the density which causes the choking? I might start breaking them up regardless

One of the original threads about choking bunnies also had a number of people (Jane included) saying that they had bunnies who had also choked on Allen and page. A&P is about as far removed as you can get from SS as far as size, shape and density of pellets go, so I don't think it's necessarily as simple as larger size = bad, it seems to be much more of an individual thing, with some struggling with the larger SS but others having problems with the smaller burgess, a&p or oxbow.

It's a really tricky one isn't it - personally my worry with that would be excess caecatrophs which seems to be more prevalent in excel-fed bunnies, especially in a dental bun who may not be able to get round and eat them...thus potentially increasing the risk of flystrike instead. But I guess the various risks will vary depending on each individual bun, how they tolerate different foods and which ones seem to give them more of a problem on eating.

One of the original threads about choking bunnies also had a number of people (Jane included) saying that they had bunnies who had also choked on Allen and page. A&P is about as far removed as you can get from SS as far as size, shape and density of pellets go, so I don't think it's necessarily as simple as larger size = bad, it seems to be much more of an individual thing, with some struggling with the larger SS but others having problems with the smaller burgess, a&p or oxbow.

Yes all very valid points. I haven't seen any signs of him struggling to get round to his bottom so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem if I make the decision to convert to Excel. But, SS does provide such a high fibre diet which he truly needs because of his lack of hay eating. I feel like I am going around in circles!!!

The best option really would be for him to eat fibafirst but I think this would be a difficult transition as he isn't 100% keen!

Yes all very valid points. I haven't seen any signs of him struggling to get round to his bottom so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem if I make the decision to convert to Excel. But, SS does provide such a high fibre diet which he truly needs because of his lack of hay eating. I feel like I am going around in circles!!!

The best option really would be for him to eat fibafirst but I think this would be a difficult transition as he isn't 100% keen!

If he has 100% no other choice he may just change his mind !!

Seriously though, if I could I would feed all mine Fibafirst, it really is the best of the best in my opinion.

I think when I switched I reduced their pellets and then gave FF at a different time of day and they viewed it as a treat. Then I just gradually phased out the pellets.

I think when I switched I reduced their pellets and then gave FF at a different time of day and they viewed it as a treat. Then I just gradually phased out the pellets.

I have tried this - four of mine jump for it but Woody just looks at me like: "What's that stuff, gimme my pellets woman!!"

Back