• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Choking / diet change

Jolysium

Mama Doe
One of my bunnies, 11 year old Heidi, has had a couple of choking episodes in the last couple of days, one time on a pellet and another time on a larger treat. She’s fully recovered quickly both times but I’m guessing there may well be something underlying that’s making her more prone to it, so we’ll need to see the vet, which we can’t do for a few days.

In the meantime I’m wondering if it would be best to stop her having any pellets or treats and just sticking to hay and greens - would/could this change cause any issues? I’m inclined to think the risk of choking is greater than any risks from a change of diet for a few days.

Any episode of choking must be followed up by a Vet check within 24 hours of the event as aspiration pneumonia can occur even if the Rabbit appears to have recovered. Aspiration pneumonia can be fatal.

As for dietary changes, if she eats a lot of hay and not just picks at it then having no pellets or treats for a couple of days shouldn’t be an issue. But if her hay intake is poor then reduced gut motility/ gut stasis could occur if she has nothing but a bit of veg. You could crush the pellets up or soak them in boiled water to soften them.

You could make a mash from the softened pellets and add a bit of vegetable purée baby food to make it more tasty

I would try to get her to a Vet today if possible as there is obviously something not right that has caused the choking and her lungs need to be listened to with a stethoscope after the choking.

Thanks. I’ve called the vet again and they’ll squeeze us in today. She is a great hay eater so that sounds like it should be fine to just stop the pellets for now until we know what’s going on. I did try softening them but it just increased the speed she hoovers them up and I was too scared to let her carry on!

Thanks. I’ve called the vet again and they’ll squeeze us in today. She is a great hay eater so that sounds like it should be fine to just stop the pellets for now until we know what’s going on. I did try softening them but it just increased the speed she hoovers them up and I was too scared to let her carry on!
If you find that she's eating really quickly, have you tried scatter feeding or hand feeding, or putting her food in a puzzle toy or food ball or snuffle mat or something like that? That way she'll eat more slowly.

I hope her vet appointment goes well. I'm glad they could squeeze you in today. :)

We went to the vet who couldn’t find any obvious reason for the choking. She said Heidi seems really happy and healthy. She was reluctant to do any investigations that require sedation or anaesthetic due to her age (11), but she gave me some metaclopramide to give her for a few days as a trial. Has anyone heard of it being given for choking before? We haven’t started it yet, I’ve been hand feeding pellets one at a time and she’s had no problem with them.

Hm, that's interesting. I'm not sure how metoclopramide would help with choking... I'm glad hand feeding her her pellets is working better for her. That's good news, too, that the vet thinks Heidi seems really happy and healthy. :)

Does she have any congestion in her nose?

No discharge. She’s quite snuffly in that she makes a noise when she’s excited looking for food, but it’s not a wet or blocked sounding noise and she always has been like that.

Hm, that's interesting. I'm not sure how metoclopramide would help with choking... I'm glad hand feeding her her pellets is working better for her. That's good news, too, that the vet thinks Heidi seems really happy and healthy. :)

Thank you! I’m not really reassured though. I think I need to ask for a second opinion but I don’t know who to approach, another vet at the same practice? Argh, I don’t know what to do. How much is it fair to do for an 11 year old bunny who gets REALLY stressed being put in a box / travelling and who is pretty happy on a day to day basis. Sorry, my posts have turned into me just typing random thoughts!

Yes, that’s what I suspected. I suppose she’s thinking increase general motility? But does it even act on the muscles in the throat or is it just intestinal? I don’t know [emoji2368]

It increases the rate at which the stomach empties food into the small intestines. It is also an anti emetic, but Rabbits can’t vomit any way, so it would not be used for that purpose in Rabbits.

Copied from a FB post by Megan Schommer DVM

‘’Choking in rabbits:

Choking is one of the scariest things that a pet owner can witness. If you know what choking looks like, you might have a chance to intervene in time to help your bunny before it’s too late. If you are a veterinarian, it’s also important to know what follow-up care might be needed if you get a call from an owner that their rabbit has just choked.

First, we should get our definition of choking straight. There are two different things that are commonly referred to as “choking”. The type of choking that we think of first is obstruction of the airway by something (usually food). The second type of choking is esophageal obstruction, in which a bolus of something (again, usually food) gets stuck in the esophagus. Both of these can be very distressing to rabbits, but a tracheal obstruction is a true emergency that needs immediate intervention if your rabbit is going to survive.

Here is how these episodes differ:

True choking (tracheal obstruction) means that no air can move in or out of the lungs. A rabbit who is choking will look distressed initially. They may have their mouth wide open, show the whites of the eyes, or paw at their mouth. They are unable to make any noise, because no air can move past their larynx. Within seconds or minutes, they will begin to lose consciousness and, if the obstruction cannot be relieved, they will die.

An esophageal “choke” means that food is stuck in the esophagus (for you equine fans, this is also what horse people refer to as “choke”). Because nothing can get past, and because esophageal obstruction is very irritating, rabbits will start to hypersalivate. The excessive fluid cannot get past the obstruction, so it will start to come back up out of the nose or mouth. Fluid bubbling out of the nose is often the color of whatever is causing the obstruction. The rabbit appears uncomfortable, may extend their head and neck, repeatedly attempt to swallow, and may paw at their mouth. If very distressed, the rabbit may dart around and vocalize. Sometimes, the excessive saliva produced or the repeated swallowing dislodges the obstruction. If that occurs, the rabbit will suddenly be back to normal and resume eating like nothing happened. If the obstruction persists, fluid will keep pouring from the mouth or nose and a rabbit may get that fluid into their lungs, causing difficulty breathing and rattling sounds in the lungs. Throughout all of this, a rabbit with an esophageal choke continues to be able to move air in and out of their lungs because their airway is NOT obstructed.

Obviously, neither of these situations is ideal, but an airway obstruction is much more acutely fatal when compared to an esophageal obstruction. Regardless of the cause, a rabbit might need immediate first aid and also will likely need follow up veterinary care. First aid for choking means dislodging the obstruction. There is a technique for rabbits called the “centrifugal swing” that I think rabbit owners should know how to perform should they ever be in the unfortunate situation of witnessing a choke incident. This technique isn’t risk-free due to the delicate nature of a rabbit's spine, and should be reserved for rabbits who clearly can’t get any air into their lungs or who are distressed from an esophageal obstruction.

This is a good resource for learning about the centrifugal swing: http://vgr1.com/choking/

(Note that the video on this site shows a rabbit with an esophageal “choke”- he’s repeatedly swallowing and extending his neck, but doesn’t appear to be in severe distress nor at risk of losing consciousness. It’s a short video, but I think I can make out the sound of clicking while he’s breathing, which means he is moving air in and out of his lungs. I think if the episode is lasting long enough that you can get it on video and the rabbit isn’t so distressed that you are intervening, it’s likely an esophageal obstruction and not a tracheal obstruction.)

After either type of choke, the risk of aspiration of food material into the lungs is high. There is also a high likelihood that food material has ended up in the nasal passages. In some cases, choking incidents can lead to fluid buildup in the lungs called non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema. All of these warrant a vet visit, chest radiographs, and likely medication. I think if a patient has an esophageal obstruction but clears it quickly and never has any nasal discharge, it’s probably okay to forego a vet visit. If the rabbit required intervention (a centrifugal swing), had nasal discharge, or showed any signs of respiratory distress, he should have a followup exam with a vet. Even after surviving a choke event, there can still be fatal complications. Get thee to a vet!

Choking can be a random fluke event (just like it can be in humans), or could be a sign of predisposing causes like dental disease. Rabbits who prove to be prone to choking should be fed with certain precautions, such as moistening their pellets with water, scattering their pellets on the floor to slow down pellet consumption, or feeding from a “slow feed” style dish.

I hope this helps both pet owners and veterinarian alike to know what choke looks like in bunnies and follow-up care they might need after an episode!’’

Jolysium, I hope your Heidi continues to do well and does not have any.more incidents. Though quick eating could have contributed to the incident.

IM, This is good information.

Thank you! I’m not really reassured though. I think I need to ask for a second opinion but I don’t know who to approach, another vet at the same practice? Argh, I don’t know what to do. How much is it fair to do for an 11 year old bunny who gets REALLY stressed being put in a box / travelling and who is pretty happy on a day to day basis. Sorry, my posts have turned into me just typing random thoughts!
Aw, yeah, it's hard when they get so stressed when they need to go to the vet... She's not choking anymore now, right, now that you're hand feeding her? If she's okay now, and pretty happy, I think personally I'd just keep a close eye on it. It could very well have been caused by her eating too fast. If she starts having trouble again, then I would take her for a second opinion, probably at a different vets as I feel another vet at the same location would likely just back up the first vet.

Copied from a FB post by Megan Schommer DVM

‘’Choking in rabbits:

Choking is one of the scariest things that a pet owner can witness. If you know what choking looks like, you might have a chance to intervene in time to help your bunny before it’s too late. If you are a veterinarian, it’s also important to know what follow-up care might be needed if you get a call from an owner that their rabbit has just choked.

First, we should get our definition of choking straight. There are two different things that are commonly referred to as “choking”. The type of choking that we think of first is obstruction of the airway by something (usually food). The second type of choking is esophageal obstruction, in which a bolus of something (again, usually food) gets stuck in the esophagus. Both of these can be very distressing to rabbits, but a tracheal obstruction is a true emergency that needs immediate intervention if your rabbit is going to survive.

Here is how these episodes differ:

True choking (tracheal obstruction) means that no air can move in or out of the lungs. A rabbit who is choking will look distressed initially. They may have their mouth wide open, show the whites of the eyes, or paw at their mouth. They are unable to make any noise, because no air can move past their larynx. Within seconds or minutes, they will begin to lose consciousness and, if the obstruction cannot be relieved, they will die.

An esophageal “choke” means that food is stuck in the esophagus (for you equine fans, this is also what horse people refer to as “choke”). Because nothing can get past, and because esophageal obstruction is very irritating, rabbits will start to hypersalivate. The excessive fluid cannot get past the obstruction, so it will start to come back up out of the nose or mouth. Fluid bubbling out of the nose is often the color of whatever is causing the obstruction. The rabbit appears uncomfortable, may extend their head and neck, repeatedly attempt to swallow, and may paw at their mouth. If very distressed, the rabbit may dart around and vocalize. Sometimes, the excessive saliva produced or the repeated swallowing dislodges the obstruction. If that occurs, the rabbit will suddenly be back to normal and resume eating like nothing happened. If the obstruction persists, fluid will keep pouring from the mouth or nose and a rabbit may get that fluid into their lungs, causing difficulty breathing and rattling sounds in the lungs. Throughout all of this, a rabbit with an esophageal choke continues to be able to move air in and out of their lungs because their airway is NOT obstructed.

Obviously, neither of these situations is ideal, but an airway obstruction is much more acutely fatal when compared to an esophageal obstruction. Regardless of the cause, a rabbit might need immediate first aid and also will likely need follow up veterinary care. First aid for choking means dislodging the obstruction. There is a technique for rabbits called the “centrifugal swing” that I think rabbit owners should know how to perform should they ever be in the unfortunate situation of witnessing a choke incident. This technique isn’t risk-free due to the delicate nature of a rabbit's spine, and should be reserved for rabbits who clearly can’t get any air into their lungs or who are distressed from an esophageal obstruction.

This is a good resource for learning about the centrifugal swing: http://vgr1.com/choking/

(Note that the video on this site shows a rabbit with an esophageal “choke”- he’s repeatedly swallowing and extending his neck, but doesn’t appear to be in severe distress nor at risk of losing consciousness. It’s a short video, but I think I can make out the sound of clicking while he’s breathing, which means he is moving air in and out of his lungs. I think if the episode is lasting long enough that you can get it on video and the rabbit isn’t so distressed that you are intervening, it’s likely an esophageal obstruction and not a tracheal obstruction.)

After either type of choke, the risk of aspiration of food material into the lungs is high. There is also a high likelihood that food material has ended up in the nasal passages. In some cases, choking incidents can lead to fluid buildup in the lungs called non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema. All of these warrant a vet visit, chest radiographs, and likely medication. I think if a patient has an esophageal obstruction but clears it quickly and never has any nasal discharge, it’s probably okay to forego a vet visit. If the rabbit required intervention (a centrifugal swing), had nasal discharge, or showed any signs of respiratory distress, he should have a followup exam with a vet. Even after surviving a choke event, there can still be fatal complications. Get thee to a vet!

Choking can be a random fluke event (just like it can be in humans), or could be a sign of predisposing causes like dental disease. Rabbits who prove to be prone to choking should be fed with certain precautions, such as moistening their pellets with water, scattering their pellets on the floor to slow down pellet consumption, or feeding from a “slow feed” style dish.

I hope this helps both pet owners and veterinarian alike to know what choke looks like in bunnies and follow-up care they might need after an episode!’’

Thank you, that’s really useful info!

Jolysium, I hope your Heidi continues to do well and does not have any.more incidents. Though quick eating could have contributed to the incident.

IM, This is good information.

Thank you! The fact it doesn’t happen when I only let her have one pellet at a time does seem to suggest that her greedy speedy scoffing is the main issue [emoji23]

Aw, yeah, it's hard when they get so stressed when they need to go to the vet... She's not choking anymore now, right, now that you're hand feeding her? If she's okay now, and pretty happy, I think personally I'd just keep a close eye on it. It could very well have been caused by her eating too fast. If she starts having trouble again, then I would take her for a second opinion, probably at a different vets as I feel another vet at the same location would likely just back up the first vet.

Thanks, yes good point, they might feel obliged to support their colleague.

Back