• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Ulcers/Keratitis

Laurafluff

New Kit
Hi guys,

Second attempt at posting as I took too long and when I submitted it, I’d been logged out and it was gone ☹️

I’ve had a search through the forum and read about similar topics but just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

I have a 9.5 year old nethie who has had issues with her eyes. She started developing cataracts which wasn’t an issue and then about a year ago her eyes became swollen/pus nodules around the eyes after a vaccination (probably a coincidence??)
Anyway after a couple of vet trips it turned out that her tear ducts were blocked and her eyes improved after tear ducts flushes and she was put on maxitrol eye drops 2 x daily.
She had been on maxitrol since then and with a few tear duct flushes, her eyes were not bothering her.
Last month there was no maxitrol left so she was dispensed maxidex (same steroid but missing the 2 antibiotics) and I noticed after a few days that it was actually out of date... this was quickly swapped for maxitrol ointment (no drops left) which was an absolute nightmare to apply as it’s so so thick and oozes out the tube itself.
I then noticed that a large white dot was forming in the middle of her left eye and took her back to the vets. This was 10 days ago. The vet stained her eyes and said it was a large ulcer and that there was also a ‘neat’ ulcer in her right eye (not visible without dye). I was told to stop the maxitrol as apparently steroids are bad for ulcers. She thought that the ulcers had been caused by her being on the steroid eye drops long term as the cornea may not have been able to heal as well if she’d brushed against something (she has bad eye sight) or got hay in her eye.
I was prescribed isathal (Fucithalmic) and acular eye drops (anti inflammatory) 4 x daily, 10 mins apart. I took her back for a follow up 3 days later and was told that both ulcers were taking up less dye and seemed to be improving and to keep going with the 2 drops 4 x daily.
I then went back 2 days ago for another follow up. I’d noticed her right eye was particularly red/inflamed. The vet said there was significant improvement in the ‘big’ ulcer in the left eye but the ‘neat’ ulcer had worsened and she now has keratitis. I was then prescribed Remend corneal repair gel 4 x daily, to be applied at least 10 minutes after the other 2 eye drops (also 10 minutes apart)... which is as fun as it sounds when you’ve got to give 12 x eye drops per day. She’s usually great at getting her eye drops (comes over when called and just sits there), but she’s starting to get really annoyed with me now, I don’t blame her really and I feel so bad!

I don’t really understand how her ‘bad’ eye is so much better but the right one is worse. There hasn’t been much improvement in terms of the redness, it’s still very inflamed. At this point I’m not concerned about the big ulcer as it’s improving lots.
The vet said we were at a cross roads with her treatment as the right eye (inflamed/not visible ulcer) may not heal due to her tear ducts issues and said we might have to go back onto steroids... which I’m worried since she said it was bad for ulcers in the first place (and so have a lot of the posts I’ve read.)
We are due to go back on Monday but I am getting pretty frustrated. I just want my baby’s eyes to be ok! I am also worried about her and her bonded bunny ingesting the eye drops when grooming.

I’ve seen that people have had success by treating ulcers with Tiacil or Chloramphenicol rather than isathal?
Has anyone had a similar experience with ulcers caused by long term steroids/ or treated by steroids? Has anyone had experience with ulcers AND tear duct issues?

(Her tear ducts aren’t blocked at the moment and she does not have dental issues)

Thanks for reading (if you got this far!!)

Hello

Certainly I have had a lot more success using chloramphenicol for eye ulcers than I have had with either Isathal or Tiacil. Has the Vet mentioned serum therapy ?

https://www.rvc.ac.uk/act/act-news/serum-from-blood-donations-saving-the-vision-of-cats-and-dogs

Thanks for that. No she hasn’t, she implied the next move would be back on the maxitrol... I’ll mention chloramphenicol and ask her about the blood serum drops on Monday. I did read about that when I was looking up eye ulcers but wasn’t sure how successful it had been in rabbits? Has anyone on here tried it and got positive results?

Thanks for that. No she hasn’t, she implied the next move would be back on the maxitrol... I’ll mention chloramphenicol and ask her about the blood serum drops on Monday. I did read about that when I was looking up eye ulcers but wasn’t sure how successful it had been in rabbits? Has anyone on here tried it and got positive results?

With the serum therapy I think it is a case of not knowing if it will help a particular Rabbit until the treatment is tried

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17324465/

There is also topical insulin therapy

https://www.canadianjournalofophthalmology.ca/article/S0008-4182(20)30376-8/fulltext

Back