• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming

HCB

Warren Scout
Iv never actually wormed any of my rabbits, as i never really knew about it, and iv never had any problems relating to worms before.

But as one of mine has lost weight, im going to try worm her and my other 2 just incase (the other 2 are young still, so i can get them used to it now at lest)

So i have a few questions- iv read on here somewhere some people use the pancur liquid meant for dogs and cats- firstly which one, i found 2 with different strengths, i think one was something like 2.5% and one was 10%. Secondly, are these definately safe for bunnies? And what dosage should it be? Or should i just stick with the paste?

Also, how often should rabbits be wormed? (as in once a year, every 6 months???) And for how long for- i thought it was 9 days for prevention and 28 days for cure (normally with ec), but i read somewhere last night its now recommeneded 28 days for prevention too, is this correct?

Its just one of my buns HATES medicine, iv tried placing in on food, veg, treats, no success, so its syringe time for her, which shes now learnt to chew through, and my finger if im not quick enough! So i dont want to give her the 28 day course unessacerily, but dont want to give just the 9 days if it would be better to give the 28 day course!

Thanks for your advise!

Hi, i've never used Panacur liquid only the paste, and at the time it was when the 9 day prevention was recommended, we only used it before introducting two new rabbits, in case one was carrying anything nasty from the RSPCA.
However, recent rabbit vets and experts at the RWAF conference discussed the controversial veterinary opinion that the 9 day preventative course 'may' not be of any benefit anyway, and that a 28 day course is required for both an active infection or a preventative. Indeed my own vet seems to concur with this. He said there is no harm giving routine 9 day courses but as they 'appear' to not be of any benefit anyway there is not much point. Consequently, as our buns are the only buns here we don't worm them. However, were we to take them to a bunny boarding or anywhere else rabbits around, we might consider doing a 28 day course once we had returned home. You are supposed to also bleach the living quarters (!0% bleach solution) on days 21 and 28 to kill any shed spores in urine, and keep food away from urine during this time. I think?? Like I say I am no means an expert and this is the info I have gathered recently from here and other sources.

BUT, as your rabbit has lost weight I would personally get a vet check up asap before giving any medicine of any kind just to make sure there is no other underlying cause for the weight loss. Good luck :)

p.s. sorry I should have said, it's not so much for the worms which aren't that common, but more for the parasite E. cuniculi that can cause extensive neurological damage. Panacur is effective against this parasite.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for that.

She has been to the vets on several occasions recently, shes had about a million health problems since this january! It seemed to be since she had cystitus that she lost weight, and i think the vets think it was that and old age. I had her reweighed not long ago and she did put on a bit of weight, only a bit, but its better than losing more weight!

I was going to get the panacur paste from my vets so i can have a word then, hopefully monday, i was going to use the paste but i read somewhere last night that they used the liquid and if im going to do 28 days for all 3 buns itd be a lot cheaper!

I read a lot on here about using panacur for EC, but i dont think my bun has EC, surely the vets would have picked up on it (shes been in at least 15-20 times in the last few months, seen different vets and had 2 ops), and my other 2 would have it by now? I just read somewhere about worms can cause weight loss, which is why i though worming might help, its worth a shot and wont do her any damage.

I think the vets :love: me as im in that much with my buns, mainly her but the other 2 with jabs and spays and check ups etc, they make a bomb from me. (spent about £900-1000 on this bun alone since jan, let alone the others!:lol:)

Hiya,

The dosage is 0.2ml/kg if you're using the 10% Liquid. VetUK stocks syringes and the Panacur for a really good price :)

I think 28 days is the preventative for EC but it's 6 weeks for the actual treatment? I'm not really sure, but I hope the dosing helped :)

Thanks Rin'Kon, thats exactly what i was looking for.

I might just get the paste from the vets on monday so i can have a word too, then get the oral solution a later date and do the other 2.

I suppose i should be doing the 'cure' treatment really, as im doing it incase her weight loss is worms. She is going to totally hate me having it that long- she had to have metacam for 6 weeks when she got her paraylised paw, chewed through 7 syringes and on her last ever dose she somehow kicked me in the nose, and the vets have commented how powerful her back legs are, and gave me a nose bleed (it was tiny, but iv never had a nosebleed in my life!:lol:)

So i guess i should get ready with her at arms length for this!lol.

Back