• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woody pet litter-Is it safe? (and coconut fibre question)

In this new pet shop they had these 2 rabbits, they were soooo small I mean like hold them in palm of your hand small. They must of been way too young to sell, but hay thats pet shops for you. I noticed that other than that they were in pretty good conditions, hay, water, the food they were using was the same brand i do (so I know it was the right fibre, protein, fat in take) but there was this strange litter on the bottom it was like pellets but they were made out of wood. I checked the bag under the cage and read the front it didn't say what exactly it was made out of only said "wood", so I asked the guy there and he said that it was made out of untreated spruce......spruce?????? Is it all right for buns??????? He was like yeah it says it on the bag!!!!!! And I'm like yeah but that doesn't mean it is alright! And he looked at me with the "i think i would know more i work here and ur just a little kid" sort of way. He then followed on (turning to mum) and said that it was safe because it is clumped into pellets only with a compresser and they don't add anything to it.

The little bunnies in the cage seemed to think it was great coz they could dig in it and nibble on it. According to him the litter in the cage hadn't been changed for 3 weeks. It actually did look quite clean so it must of done its job pretty good but i still wouldn't leave it that long. I thought that it was better than my bun getting urine scald because the newspaper and straw never absorbed it properly (even after a day it would be soaked and i would use 5 or 6 sheets pilled ontop of one another).

Also i bought a bunny safe untreated bag of coconut fibre. I looked it up on here and i can't find anything about it. I just want to make sure it is safe.

I've been using WoodyPet for my dwarf lop for the last two weeks or so. I've had no problems thus far. I was a bit concerned about Petals ingesting it and it expanding in her tummy. So I just activate it first, which is easy. Just add warm water to the pellets and they turn into a nice fluffy bedding. I still clean her cage twice a week. Once a week I do a good cleaning, the other time, I just use a kitty litter spoon thing and dig out the dirty spots.

If you google Woody Pet, you should be able to see exactly what it is.

It isn't small or light enough for her to inhale it. But now you've got me curious. When I add the warm water, it turns into a wood chip bedding.

I have put it in her cage once or twice without activating, it resembles Yesterdays News kitty litter. But I started activating it because I was worried if she ate any of it, it would expand in her tummy.

By adding water I just thought that it wouldn't be as absorbent because it is already activated. Im pretty sure my bun has stoped eating, I think it dries out their mouths and their webbie (i looked it up) says that it doesn't taste real nice. At first my bun kept eating but I haven't seen him eat it recently I think he may of learnt.

Back