• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood cat litter

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Just a quick question - is wood pellet cat litter safe for bunnies?
I normally just use hay in the hutch part of his house, with extra thick hay in his litter tray but recently Fergie has taken to weeing everywhere but his litter tray!
I need something to try and soak it up properly, and I know newspaper is good - unfortunately Ferg actively seeks anything paper out and eats it (not chews, actually eats). Is a wood based cat litter ok to use in his hutch section to soak the wee up?
Thanks!
Holly

As long as it is unscented and natural wood pellet litter, then yes it should be fine. Not very comfy though, so I'd top it with hay.

Or you could try megazorb which will be nicer to stand/lie on.

As long as it is unscented and natural wood pellet litter, then yes it should be fine. Not very comfy though, so I'd top it with hay.

Or you could try megazorb which will be nicer to stand/lie on.

Thanks! I've stuck a load of hay on top of it so should do him for a few days, I'll have a look for some megazorb ASAP :)

Also, as you're new to the forum, just thought I'd let you know that if he isn't neutered yet then neutering helps with litter training.

Making sure you clean the areas he has weed with vinegar and then putting fresh litter down may help as well, if done often enough (I'd say 3 times a day but I know this isn't always practical). It stops the scent of urine marking the area as a 'toilet' in his eyes. Normal cleaners don't quite get rid of the smell for their sensitive bunny noses. Of course, don't clean his litter trays with vinegar.

Also, as you're new to the forum, just thought I'd let you know that if he isn't neutered yet then neutering helps with litter training.

Making sure you clean the areas he has weed with vinegar and then putting fresh litter down may help as well, if done often enough (I'd say 3 times a day but I know this isn't always practical). It stops the scent of urine marking the area as a 'toilet' in his eyes. Normal cleaners don't quite get rid of the smell for their sensitive bunny noses. Of course, don't clean his litter trays with vinegar.

He's booked in for neutering in April, he's been fantastic with it up until a few weeks ago when I changed his hutch around. I've been cleaning his dirty stuff out every day and he has moments where he uses his tray again, hopefully vinegar might help thanks for the advice :)

He's booked in for neutering in April, he's been fantastic with it up until a few weeks ago when I changed his hutch around. I've been cleaning his dirty stuff out every day and he has moments where he uses his tray again, hopefully vinegar might help thanks for the advice :)

No worries :)

But don't worry if he continues with it, as it is normal for unneutered rabbits to not be litter trained once they get their adult hormones, especially bucks, and I'm sure it will calm down again a few weeks after he is neutered.

Back