• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish list for outdoor rabbit shed & run

Nikki26

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I’ve just bought a new house and am in the process of planning out the rabbit accommodation. They are currently in my parents garden in a 10x10 shed with attached aviary but it is all quite old now so wouldn’t be able to be moved. So I am starting from scratch again.

My new neighbour is a carpenter and has offered to make it for me so I really do get to start from a blank page! Anyone have any suggestions of things they would have if they could design their own accommodation? I want the shed part to be 8x6 minimum and for an aviary on the side but does anyone have any nice to haves that they can think of??

Hi All,

I’ve just bought a new house and am in the process of planning out the rabbit accommodation. They are currently in my parents garden in a 10x10 shed with attached aviary but it is all quite old now so wouldn’t be able to be moved. So I am starting from scratch again.

My new neighbour is a carpenter and has offered to make it for me so I really do get to start from a blank page! Anyone have any suggestions of things they would have if they could design their own accommodation? I want the shed part to be 8x6 minimum and for an aviary on the side but does anyone have any nice to haves that they can think of??

I have only ever kept indoor Rabbits so I can’t offer any suggestions. But just wanted to drop in to say ‘Hi’ and that it’s good to hear from you. Hope you will be very happy in your new home :)

I have only ever kept indoor Rabbits so I can’t offer any suggestions. But just wanted to drop in to say ‘Hi’ and that it’s good to hear from you. Hope you will be very happy in your new home :)

Hi Jane, thank you, it’s lovely to hear from you too. The new house is a building site at the moment but we are excited to get it renovated and to move in. I’ve still got my two rabbits, Maddie and Ted, although Maddie is an old girl now. I also have a 16 month old so things are busy!!

Our rabbits live outside and we designed our accommodation about 10 years ago I guess. We opted to buy the shed part, but my OH built the rest.

The first thing we realised is that a 'run' doesn't need to be a formal square or rectangle. In fact, in many ways it fulfils other requirements if it isn't. We fitted ours around two sides of our garage, which meant that (a) the rabbits have long, narrow areas, where they can actually run quite fast and (b) it provides the opportunity to consider aspect to give both sunny and shade areas. We also have a section which is a square to allow for ledges, bridges and lumps of wood to provide interest. I would make some part of the 'run' covered, so that the rabbits have an outside dry area. We also have two litter trays in different parts of the 'run', as well as one inside the shed. Both inside and outside the shed we have sitting places at different heights to encourage exercise.

Good luck :)

Thank you. This is what I’m working with so it will take some time to clear it all first!

HwOUYCl.jpg

VSLs1z9.jpg

Hi Jane, thank you, it’s lovely to hear from you too. The new house is a building site at the moment but we are excited to get it renovated and to move in. I’ve still got my two rabbits, Maddie and Ted, although Maddie is an old girl now. I also have a 16 month old so things are busy!!

Congrats on becoming a Mum :love: I imagine a 16 month old keeps you on your toes :lol:

Back