• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Hay shortage??

i bought two normal bales last week, i usually buy soft meadow.
i will be going next week to top up, perhaps with a few more bales.
we do always have the hay from the stables if desperate.

Goodness me, i really hope you find somewhere. I dont know how you rescues are going to manage. Im struggling getting 1 bale for my 2, but if push comes to shove, at least shop bought hay wont be too expensive. Id hate to think i had to feed so many buns on the shop bought stuff. Not to mention the quality is usually ****.

Can you not get straw anywhere? Straw is warmer than hay, and you could use smaller ammounts of hay for them to eat

Could you maybe use shredded paper to keep your buns warm? I get given copious amounts of it as we can't recycle it here. I use it for bedding and just put hay in the buns' litter trays and by their food and in their hay racks. I use it partly to reduce costs as I have nowhere to store a bale of hay and have to buy it in bags and with nine buns I was getting through an awful lot of bags in a week!

Mine mostly eat the hay that's in their litter trays.

Could you maybe use shredded paper to keep your buns warm? I get given copious amounts of it as we can't recycle it here. I use it for bedding and just put hay in the buns' litter trays and by their food and in their hay racks. I use it partly to reduce costs as I have nowhere to store a bale of hay and have to buy it in bags and with nine buns I was getting through an awful lot of bags in a week!

Mine mostly eat the hay that's in their litter trays.

I wont use shredded paper, personally i think its dangerous. If they eat it, it can easily cause a blockage in the guts. With some of our rabbits having neurological problems I know they would eat it straight away :(

Hi Blue Barns in Hardingstone ( on edge of Northampton) usually have some. That's where I get my bales from anyway.:wave:

Just googled hardingstone and that is very close to where Steve works :) Couldn't find Blue barns though, where abouts is it please?

I was going to suggest straw too, but then thought of the potential hazards if the buns try to eat it, particularly as they are SN buns.
It's a shame you don't live near me as they are lush green bales for £4, plus as I'm travelling to Southport weekly, there's always the farmers in the country with notice boards out. I have a bale so that will last me a while, infact now that this has been highlighted I may ask her to reserve me a bale for when I need it :oops:

I was going to suggest straw too, but then thought of the potential hazards if the buns try to eat it, particularly as they are SN buns.
It's a shame you don't live near me as they are lush green bales for £4, plus as I'm travelling to Southport weekly, there's always the farmers in the country with notice boards out. I have a bale so that will last me a while, infact now that this has been highlighted I may ask her to reserve me a bale for when I need it :oops:

Might have to hire a van and drive Ooop North then.........:D

I'm off to stock up tomorrow at the farm shop the price hasn't gone up so far see what it is tomorrow. If anyone in Oxfordshire needs hay I can give them a couple of places to go.

Our supplier stopped selling last month :cry: Really struggling down here, no one will deliver me a bale, having to make do with pet shop bags :(

Back