• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will 'Rabbit Savvy Vets' Ever Become the Norm Rather Than the Exception............

I think its really difficult to know if a vet is ''rabbit savvy'' without getting a recommendation or asking them directly. A lot of people just get told that they are professionals with all animals which is rarely true.

Mine are always saying about how many rabbits they treat (A lot apparently) but I've never seen another bunny in there yet I don't think! I remember not being happy when the vet put Finn on his back to check for gender, at the time I was too inexperienced to say anything but now I think I would simply take him myself and hold him how I think he should be held. He was being a git but I don't think that's the point?

I think what the RR is doing is brilliant, working with students like that is the sort of thing that makes a massive difference - just think how many hundreds/thousands of rabbit owners they'll come into contact with to pass on good welfare advice.

I wonder if it's partly a case of not knowing they don't know. I feel like from the descriptions people give it's not that the vet is unsure what they are doing but they are are doing something wrong with the apparent confidence it's the right thing.

I can't believe people still aren't promoted to get vaccinations or are told house rabbits don't need them.

Ah, the old 'idiots don't know they're idiots' fallacy, huh? Stupid and/or ignorant people think that they are smart and know everything there is to know about something and are dangerously overconfident; meanwhile, actual intelligent people are aware that they cannot possibly know absolutely everything, and so are on a constant pursuit of new knowledge.

I'd rather have a vet that knows they know little about rabbits, and either recommend a better vet or try to learn more, than a vet whom knows little about rabbits but doesn't know it.

Back