• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will eating straw cause any problems?

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
As hay is so much more expensive this year I am thinking about using straw as bedding for the buns in their bedrooms (should they ever bother to go in there!). I haven't used it for a long time and just wonder - should they eat it, would it cause any problems? Of course they have hay always available.

Hello, i don't have much knowledge, but I think it's the prefered bedding for outdoor rabbits because it's warmer (??) and soft on feet for rex's. And the hay experts say "good for a nibble" on the description for straw ...

So I guess it isn't as good as hay but prefectly fine :)

i use straw in the bed part but hay everywhere else. straw is a better insulator.
if they eat too much it can cause a colic effect as it does in horses but ive never had any problems. i think they might eat a little but its never caused problems. :)

Ours have a big stash of straw for in their bedroom and as it gets a bit colder we put some in the floor of Twinkle and Star's hutch too. But in their shed and in Fay and Kenco's aviary we just have lino for the floor and dont put anything on top of that, except for a couple of piles of straw for snuggling in to.

They all have a few bales of hay to eat as well.

I havent heard of eating straw being a problem but is not a replacement for eating hay, but you know that already, so I dont think it would be a problem to use it for bedding personally, as long as they have plenty of hay to munch on also. Straw isnt so good for their tummies and it can have sharp ends that can hurt their eyes, so just be mindful of that. :)

Thank you guys.

Yes I was thinking about horses when my concerns arose. I guess if they have plenty of hay too they are less likely to gorge themselves on the straw but they are such awkward cusses you never can tell!

Think I'll put it in of a morning and keep an eye out.

Well, I've put the straw in bedrooms this morning - Maisey has been in there moving everything around but doesn't seem to have been eating too much and Fizz hasn't noticed his yet, too busy munching hay in his tray!

Im going to try using straw as bedding but I bet Strawbs will eat it- he also eats woodpellet litter and megazorb!

I was just worried they'd gorge themselves I guess - they (especially Maisey) are rather sensitive to anything new. I'd normally use hay for bedding but with it being so much more expensive this year (and people saying straw is warmer) I wanted to move back to straw and keep hay for munching only.

If you're afraid she'll get sick because she's so sensitive to new food, maybe you can give them just a little bit of straw to begin with? I'm pretty sure it won't be necessary, but maybe it'll give you some peace of mind.

Mine always have straw in their hutch, it's warmer/more isolating than hay. They don't touch it. (Well, they do touch it but they don't really eat it.. :lol:)

Back