• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will A Cat Just Watch A Bunny In Its Hutch? xx

We had a kitten living with us, and the Rabbit didnt seem to mind the kitten, but I didn´t trust them alone. The kitten would just kind of sit and watch. It never swiped at it..but you could see his ears and tail flicking. I think if you bought them up together then they would be okay...as for neighbours cats roaming around I wouldnt be too sure. Better to be safe than sorry, just like saving all your unwanted gold for a rainy day! though I hate seeing rabbits caged...it´s better to let them run around.

Last edited:
my rabbit often tried mounting the neighbours cat:lol:

thing is she didnt like him, but she loved my garden so she tolorated him, but if another cat came in the garden and tried to take a swipe at bigs she chase them off,

my mums got 2 cats they are old now linus used to look like he was having a conversation with sam (cat ) through the bars and they would even lie together, but if the neighbours cat came in linus would bolt, thump and do his nut basically, he knew they cat was in the garden before we could see it, and she is an evil lil minx too

it does all depend on the cat and the rabbits really, obseravation is the key, you dont need a water pistol really an old washing up bottle works just as well, i dont agree with throwing stones etc at the cat though, water and the cat will get the message,

Ive known cats to take baby buns etc, still wouldnt cross a large bun with a cat though, buns can kick ass if they have to, just against a fox or a dog ferret stoat snake they have no chance

My 3 cats are great with the buns...the bigger buns pay no notice really, or chase the cats.
The little bunnies do get watched, but not in a "skulking" way.The cats know Mummy is boss.....

My 3 cats are great with the buns...the bigger buns pay no notice really, or chase the cats.
The little bunnies do get watched, but not in a "skulking" way.The cats know Mummy is boss.....

cats can be trained, my mum only has to look now, if they have been caught on the surface, or been on the bed an they peg it quick :lol:

When we lived at our old house it was what I'd call cat central, so many neighbouring cats. To be fair none of the cats ever tried to get at the bunnies, they just liked to sunbathe on top the run. The bunnies weren't bothered by them either. Needless to say always make sure your accomodation is predator proof as not all cats are so laid back.

None of the cats here have ever gone near the rabbits, they are a bit scared of them. I saw magpies trying to peck through the bars of the run, though. I'd be more worried if there was a dog trying to get into the run.

every cat is different to be honest I have 2 cats and i have 4 cats which live in teh street and none of teh cats have bothered my rabbits i even let my buns free range the cats just arent interested

My cats would happily walk into a hutch or run given the chance. I don't know what they would do with the rabbits, and I'm not keen on finding out so they will never be left unsupervised together. But they are still young and they will learn. They have been in the garden while the buns are free ranging but tbh they looked more intimidated than the rabbits!

my two free range in the garden while I'm out there and when they see the cat, they chase her out of the garden.

Very often though, she will just lay under the bench watching them.

If she's starts to get the 'wiggle' though (cat owners will know what I mean :lol:), I just say ah ah and she will leave them alone.

I wouldn't leave a cat unsupervised with free ranging buns anymore than I would a dog tbh.

It all depends on the cat! I have one that sticks his paws in to hook a bunny, and one that completely ignores them.

You can also take steps to try and prevent cats getting into your garden in the first place. I *personally* very strongly disagree with the whole concept of free-ranging cats as I do not see why other people's animals should be allowed to foul *my* property and kill the wildlife I seek to attract to my garden. Makes me furious. But anyway.

I found the cats coming into our garden were using it as a through-route so I have meshed up the places they were using to climb over the fence and have also placed large quantities of rose and hawthorn hedge clippings on top of the mesh to 'discourage' the said cats from coming into my garden. Since doing this only recently I have definitely noticed that the cats don't bother half so much as they can't go through my garden anymore. I am going to put some (( Cactus Strips )) on top of our trellis and fencing to help prevent them still further.

my cats and rabbits get on fine though i would never leave them unattended together. The cats have learnt that the bunnies are unpredictable as ruby tends to run at them and they don't like this so they usually keep their distance and watch between the bars or from a high up place. Chloe sticks her paws in the bars but she is usually after the hay or veg that the bunnies have - she is an odd cat. if the bunnies come near she runs off.

when tilly stayed at his grandmas in the summer we put his hutch in the outhouse, we would leave the outhouse door open so hes have a nice view, fresh air etc. in the daytime. they have three cats and when they saw each other they would freeze, stare and both rabbit and cat would bolt. they never bothered him and just tended to stay away. i wouldnt trust cats but i think rabbits are more resiliant than we give them credit for.

i went away on holiday and left the bunnies to be looked after by a housemate. the garden became infested with rats and would sit on his hutch and stare at him, he really wasnt bothered, i rushed him straight to the vets in tears about him being stressed and bullied by the dirty creatures, the vet said he was fine, as long as rats couldnt get in they wouldnt bother him. we moved soon after that anyway and he lives indoors now. but i think he enjoyed the company!

Back