• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wild X buns - U/D Noddy has been de-plummed.. 1 month till reunited with the girls :D

These are domestic bunnies. Would your release agouti domestic bunnies?

These are wild bunnies. Would you keep wild bunnies in a hutch like this?

Having said that, they are neither domestic. Nor are they wild.

The answer, I would suspect, is no.

I've dealt with many wild X bunnies. With the right set up they can be very happy in captivity. However, this is not a happy set up. So chances are its a case of finding somewhere where they can have all the space they need (althouh I love AMS's idea of getting the boys neutered and securing the garden) and still be safe.

If they are to be released they can't just be tipped out into the wild, they need to be taught, they need to learn wildie skills, they need to learn what to eat, how to forage, they need to have time to allow their skills to develop before letting them go. Currently they have only known their domestic side and it would be like releasing a domestic rabbit.

There have been studies about releasing rabbits next to established warrens and it seems that those rabbits that are released near them never integrate and seem to end up leading a solitary life sort of alongside the warren. I find that sad. Yes, there is a clutch of these bunnies but there is no knowing if they will stay together or not, where they would go, where they would sleep, etc.

Releasing them from how they are now into the wild is just cruel in my eyes. There would, at the very least, need to be a decent, long and successful transition.

I'm afraid I agree entirely with Sky-O.

Some sort of half-way house - sanctuary with ample space and an enriching environment but in captivity is the ideal. I hope it all works out ok x

This is assuming that the rabbit only have two options- PTS or release, I'm sure most of us on here would do all we could to help save them. I had a wild rabbit from the age of 2 months to 9 years, he was a happy boy. These rabbits have no concept of being wild and therefore won't miss it. As long as they have space to run around, a friend and food they will be as happy as any domestic rabbit.
The situation they are in isn't great, but they won't be like this forever.

When I was trying to find homes for 6 Wild X bunnies this forum saved them and they all found happy homes and are, as far as I know, still doing well. I wonder if we could do it again.

I'm afraid I agree entirely with Sky-O.

Some sort of half-way house - sanctuary with ample space and an enriching environment but in captivity is the ideal. I hope it all works out ok x

Yes it is exaxctly the ideal, but is it actually a possibility?? Thats the thing unfortunately. From what I hear on hears rescues are jam packed and realistically how many sanctuaries are going to have a nice big space. I am not trying to be negative or anything, just realistic!

I really dont know what will come of thes buns! :(

There are a lot of places that do have those spaces, its just finding them. I ended up in touch with a few at one point.

Is it Tiggy Winkles down here? I contacted them and they put me in touch with a variety of people. Maybe there is something nearer Scotland that could also help in some way.

Yes it is exaxctly the ideal, but is it actually a possibility?? Thats the thing unfortunately. From what I hear on hears rescues are jam packed and realistically how many sanctuaries are going to have a nice big space. I am not trying to be negative or anything, just realistic!

I really dont know what will come of thes buns! :(

Well personally I feel that if there is no alternative, then pts would be a lot more humane than releasing these rabbits into the wild to an unknown fate.

When I was trying to find homes for 6 Wild X bunnies this forum saved them and they all found happy homes and are, as far as I know, still doing well. I wonder if we could do it again.

If that could happen then it would be perfect! I do really hope somthing can get sorted!

Well personally I feel that if there is no alternative, then pts would be a lot more humane than releasing these rabbits into the wild to an unknown fate.

:wave: I agree.

I'm becoming intrigued and genuinely interested because its been mentioned that any rabbit can survive ok in the wild because their instincts hone. I'm just wondering whether you think its ok to release domestic bunnies into the wild, in general (especially agouti ones), if no home, or no space, can be found for them? I'm genuinely interested, that's not a go or anything.

I dont agree but hey, be boring if we all did! Dont get me wrong I dont wish any death on an animal let alone a horendous painful one!

If they can be transported down the country, Cat & Rabbit in Sidlesham *might* be able to take some on, they have enclosure with bunnies living free like wildies :wave: http://crrc.co.uk/

Just to clarify I said what I thought on the basis that all the options of life in captivity in suitable accomodation are exhausted - when there is no hope of a solution I would risk it rather than destroy healthy animals who at this time of the year, providing they are wildie colours have a good chance in the right environment of surviving, if there is an abundance of other wildies even better - they will learn quicker and they won't be so much of a target.

Sorry just realised you already said there is 4 of them.
I think that releasing them is probably not a good solution. There are so many factors going against them considering they are only half wild and have been raised by a domestic rabbit. They have only ever known a hutch and have had a domestic diet so suddenly releasing them would be very stressful. If they have some kind of rehabilitation then that would be more acceptable.
If you are really stuck then I would be willing to try and help. I couldn't provide huge accomodation for them but I have a couple of 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft hutches that they could stay in with daily access to a run until they found suitable new homes. My own wildie lives with her husbun in half a large shed with attached aviary run and she seems very content with that.

:wave: I agree.

I'm becoming intrigued and genuinely interested because its been mentioned that any rabbit can survive ok in the wild because their instincts hone. I'm just wondering whether you think its ok to release domestic bunnies into the wild, in general (especially agouti ones), if no home, or no space, can be found for them? I'm genuinely interested, that's not a go or anything.

I'm interested in a silly question. Given that baby wildies live in a stop & are only visited by the mother briefly for a feed, how do they learn all the necessary skills, including social skills to be a rabbit?

I spent 24/7 with my buck when he was a baby. I found that some behaviour was truely instinctive but could be modified. A lot was absent eg. he knew how to dig a scrape, & the soil had to be got rid of, but he ate it!! (No he wasn't carrying it) I had to get down on all 4's & teach him the back feet technique. He "got it" immediately. It's the does who dig the burrows, -providing escape from predators, bucks only dig a scrape & lie on the surface. He learned a lot by watching me. He also learned by trial & error.
He knows WHAT to eat but is clueless about foraging,(he'll only eat dandelions in his indoor feeding area), also about doe behaviour when the doe means "NO", (so he'd get in a fight) & he's clueless about keeping dry.
I don't see him surving in the wild, plus his dark colouring makes him stand out like a sore thumb in dim light eg deep dusk.

Finally wildies have a strict heirarchy, top buck has the best doe, burrow, & grazing rights, & has to fight challengers to those rights. A domestic bun is neither fit nor agile enough for this. Before myxi, wildie life expectancy was 3 years.
A few do manage to survive in the wild, but not many.
Black wildies (melanic rabbits) are quite common as a natural mutation. I suppose that their survival depends on the type of predators.

theres no way id advise her to release them. hopefully when i talk to Ste later we can sort out these 6ft hutches from Pegasys temporarliy until we can find rescue homes or i can persuade her to build a large avairy enclosure... rehoming seems more realistic tho :cry::cry::cry:

if we cant find them somewhere to live then PTS is still a very real option and ive cried solid for 24hrs about that so dont noone ever accuse us of taking the easy option, try being in this situation before you judge me.

If they can be transported down the country, Cat & Rabbit in Sidlesham *might* be able to take some on, they have enclosure with bunnies living free like wildies :wave: http://crrc.co.uk/

thats so far away even if they had spaces i doubt id be able to persuade Ste or his mom to do that journey just for rabbits :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh don, what an awful situation for you. I don't have any advice but fully support what you decide to do, I don't agree with releasing them though.

It's a shame for the bunnies xx

Haven't read all thread. And I don't want any more buns, but they could stay here until something could be sorted if it gets desperate - as long as someone is helping me rehome. I have a wildie, so have had all my garden meshed & re-turfed. The aviary panels are the only thing left to go up. That's tomorrow :D

Plus my new job comes with free fuel so driving not an issue.

if we cant find them somewhere to live then PTS is still a very real option and ive cried solid for 24hrs about that so dont noone ever accuse us of taking the easy option, try being in this situation before you judge me.

I have been in your exact situation. Had I not found homes for those wildies they would have been PTS. I do feel for you, hugely. None of this is a good situation and none of this should have happened had they listened to you. I'm just very sorry that you are the one feeling the heartbreak.

Whatever happens, its clear you have always thought and always done what you think to be best for these bunnies. At least they have you looking out for them, even if no one else is.

Back