• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why go in ?

I've never bought OR rescued.

My bunnies have all seemed to find me, rather than the other way around. On the occasion I tried to rescue, the lady didn't answer my emails or phone calls. I know rescues are busy, but really? Then Nahla found her way to me, and then Cupcake, so I haven't looked into it for a while. In the future I'd hopefully always rescue, but sometimes, like someone else said... you just meet a bunny that you know is MEANT to be yours.

ETA: as I typed this, Cupcake binkied and pooped at the same time, and her poop flew across the room and hit me in the face. I'm sending her back!:lol::p

I know for a fact that if there was a very sick rabbit in the adoption part of P@H and I knew I could help it then I would get it out of there as I couldn't walk away and leave it.

Yes, and the money goes 100% to charity :) there are better ways of supporting charities but you're not funding anything in P@H. They pretty much gave me Ruby because she was 'temperamental'.

I think the reason they make such a massive profit is a lot of people there will buy a hutch, which must have a massive mark up as they're generally tiny and poor quality, a big bag of sawdust, some muesli, some overpriced unsuitable toys and treats...... this will be where they'll make the profit.

If one of us went in a pet shop and got a bunny we'd probably just grab the bunny, pay and run. I'm not saying it's the best thing to do but sometimes it's hard to leave the bunny who's stolen your heart behind.

Grin you're so right. I only buy ethical toiletries and I try my hardest to buy ethical meat and am trying to become a vegetarian, although sometimes it's just too expensive. But this is as peeing in the wind as buying a bunny from a pet shop I guess.

I have complained about pet shops - P@H promised to improve things although I never went back to see if they had, and the local pet shop I complained about, the council basically called me a liar :roll:. If any of us were worried about a pet shop I'm sure we would complain.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we can only try our best :) and try to avoid buying from pet shops, complain about anything we see that we know to be wrong, keep supporting rescues and keep campaigning for change.

(Sorry for this epic post btw I'm feeling a bit delirious :oops:)

I've never bought OR rescued.

My bunnies have all seemed to find me, rather than the other way around. On the occasion I tried to rescue, the lady didn't answer my emails or phone calls. I know rescues are busy, but really? Then Nahla found her way to me, and then Cupcake, so I haven't looked into it for a while. In the future I'd hopefully always rescue, but sometimes, like someone else said... you just meet a bunny that you know is MEANT to be yours.

ETA: as I typed this, Cupcake binkied and pooped at the same time, and her poop flew across the room and hit me in the face. I'm sending her back!:lol::p

:lol::lol::lol: I know what you mean when you say a bunny is meant to be yours. That's exactly why I took Jasper home. :love:

i get my bunnies SS from the garden centre, but they do sell rabbits unfortunatley, however, they do refuse to sell any other the easter period, but i tend not to look at them if i can help it, ive not been in the petshop down the road for years

:lol::lol::lol: I know what you mean when you say a bunny is meant to be yours. That's exactly why I took Jasper home. :love:

It hit me right in the eye:lol:

But yeah. I wasn't happy with my boyfriend getting a bunny from preloved, but I knew she was supposed to be mine. Same with Cupcake. I had been thinking about how I needed to look into a companion for Nahla since Benji can't be neutered now (for a while at least), and bam, someone advertised their bunny for free.

Wouldn't change any of it:)

Be aware though that the adoption centre often has bunnies that weren't sold as babies first time round rather than just those brought back from the public.

Be aware though that the adoption centre often has bunnies that weren't sold as babies first time round rather than just those brought back from the public.

Yeah this is a good point. I went in once and they had a few REW Syrian hamster babies the same age as their 'stock'. I had to really push the guy to get the truth out of him but he said they put them there because they would be 'harder to sell, sometimes they're harder to handle etc'. I think what he really meant was that they were harder to sell because they were REWs.

Yeah this is a good point. I went in once and they had a few REW Syrian hamster babies the same age as their 'stock'. I had to really push the guy to get the truth out of him but he said they put them there because they would be 'harder to sell, sometimes they're harder to handle etc'. I think what he really meant was that they were harder to sell because they were REWs.

My REW hamster was the most tamed one we've ever had. :shock: I've not seen one since. She used to escape to come look for us and was such a happy little soul. I still miss her. :cry:

My REW hamster was the most tamed one we've ever had. :shock: I've not seen one since. She used to escape to come look for us and was such a happy little soul. I still miss her. :cry:

aww, no what I mean is that he was probably just saying about them not being tame as an excuse so he didn't have to say it was because of their colour and I would accuse him of being a hamster racist :lol: none of the P@H hammies are tame.

I know I had a REW/PEW dwarf hammie and she was so tame, she did bite a lot though! I'm sorry to hear about your little hammie :cry: I miss my bridge hamsters too

Does this count for the sick rabbits that are sometimes in the adoption part of P@H is it wrong to take them home and care for them.

The money goes to charity; it is a donation. Pets at home do not profit; the two buns I acquired from the adoption section were mis-treated and not old pets at home stock. Jemimah was dumped in a cardboard box as she has sever knock knees. She is pure bred lion-head. Max was covered in gashes and untreated abscesses. :cry: I think I did the right thing.

ive found a lovely little pet shop who dont sell animals :D if we look hard enough they do exist and if they dont online is just as good :wave:

ive never had an issue with pets at home tbh but then when i go there i dont feel an urgent need to bring the animals home :?

ive found a lovely little pet shop who dont sell animals :D if we look hard enough they do exist and if they dont online is just as good :wave:

ive never had an issue with pets at home tbh but then when i go there i dont feel an urgent need to bring the animals home :?

Sadly, not in my part of the world. :cry: I've looked.

I've also looked to buy SS near me and the only 2 places (one a loooong train journey away) both sell livestock. :cry:

Sadly, not in my part of the world. :cry: I've looked.

I've also looked to buy SS near me and the only 2 places (one a loooong train journey away) both sell livestock. :cry:

:( why not try wagg? most supermarkets sell it, then you only need to find an equine store to get hay :D

Yep, I resolved never to go into that large Petshop chain again as nothing changes for the better. I refuse to fund their practices.

Totally with you on this Jane, I haven't stepped into any shop selling livestock for many, many years. All my money goes either on line or to a non livestock selling petshop.

Back