• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why go in ?

IMO, it is NOT like the starfish story because buying from a pet shop contributes to the breeding issue - therefore creating more problems rather than rescuing one bunny a time.

I have to agree with you there, unfortunately buying from a pet shop is the opposite of the starfish story. :(

i like to go to look at all the cute animal. but the only problem is if u go into a bad pet shop where the animals arent treated rightfully. and then i feel bad cause i dont know wat to do.

half the time i end up wanting to take everything home lol i always have lol i dont like birds yet id still have a parrot lol

I have to agree with you there, unfortunately buying from a pet shop is the opposite of the starfish story. :(

In no way am I saying I agree with pet shops selling animals but I think it is like the starfish story. You aren't helping them all, your adding to the trade but even still, you are making a difference to that one rabbits life and giving them a loving home they deserve. All rabbits deserve a good home, no matter where they come from. I just wish pet shops would stop selling animals. :(

I must admit it makes me really sad to see so many messages on this supposedly rescue orientated forum urging people to buy an animal from a pet shop when there are many members here that put so much of their time and money into clearing up after said establishments. That's just me though.

In no way am I saying I agree with pet shops selling animals but I think it is like the starfish story. You aren't helping them all, your adding to the trade but even still, you are making a difference to that one rabbits life and giving them a loving home they deserve. All rabbits deserve a good home, no matter where they come from. I just wish pet shops would stop selling animals. :(

But you are also 'allowing' the perpetuation of mass breeding to supply the trade :cry:

Sorry, but that is like throwing one Starfish back and then pulling 10 out to leave stranded on the beach :cry:

For every Rabbit bought from a Petshop another LITTER (6-10 kits on average) will be born, often in environments like those seen by PACT :cry:

But you are also 'allowing' the perpetuation of mass breeding to supply the trade :cry:

Sorry, but that is like throwing one Starfish back and then pulling 10 out :cry:

For every Rabbit bought from a Petshop another LITTER (6-10 kits on average) will be born, often in environments like those seen by PACT :cry:

I'm not saying I agree with buying from pet shops, I was just saying that I can understand how it would be improving the life of that one bunny. Such a shame it works like it does though. Breeders need to be licensed. :cry:

Years ago I used to shop in small pet shops and did come away with a few bunnies that had been over looked and grown up in the tiny display cabinets they were kept in. I soon realised this was a never ending circle so I stopped shopping in shops that sold pets.
Now it is against all of my beliefs to shop where animals are sold.
My down fall is garden centres, I do love these stores, and I love buying plants.
I CANNOT help myself from looking at the animals there, my heart breaks for them when I walk away because I know I could have given one of them an excellent home. But I think of the rabbits waitng in rescues and I know one day that is where I may meet one of these bunnies again then I will give them their forever home.

I'm not saying I agree with buying from pet shops, I was just saying that I can understand how it would be improving the life of that one bunny. Such a shame it works like it does though. Breeders need to be licensed. :cry:

I understand the improving the life of that one Rabbit. But do you see that it is at the cost of many, many more Rabbits ? The ones born to supply the trade ?

I understand the improving the life of that one Rabbit. But do you see that it is at the cost of many, many more Rabbits ? The ones born to supply the trade ?

yes I do, I don't agree with pet shops selling rabbits. I have already said why I bought my bun from one :oops: It wasn't a chain of pet shops and I was lucky to find out who his breeder was, and it wasn't awful thank goodness. He has stopped breeding now anyway. :)

Supply and demand as Jane rightly says - it is at the root of all successful business. It's not rocket science.... if there is a demand then there will continue to be a supply. It is as simple as that.

yes I do, I don't agree with pet shops selling rabbits. I have already said why I bought my bun from one :oops: It wasn't a chain of pet shops and I was lucky to find out who his breeder was, and it wasn't awful thank goodness. He has stopped breeding now anyway. :)

I am not getting at you, or anyone else with a Petshop Bun. How could I when I have some myself !! My point really is that now that I know what goes on in the retail trade of Livestock I would not buy from a Petshop again. But I am weak and I dont trust myself to be able to walk away if I saw a Petshop Bun in need. So my only solution is to not go into Livestock selling Petshops in the first place xx

Supply and demand as Jane rightly says - it is at the root of all successful business. It's not rocket science.... if there is a demand then there will continue to be a supply. It is as simple as that.

Exactly! And if folk go in aware of all the facts about where the rabbits come from and of the fact there are thousands in rescues and still buy an animal then there really is little hope of any changes being made.:(

Exactly! And if folk go in aware of all the facts about where the rabbits come from and of the fact there are thousands in rescues and still buy an animal then there really is little hope of any changes being made.:(

......that's what is so depressing :cry:

Not knowing is one thing, but knowing and doing it anyway is very sad indeed :cry:

But if you were the one who had watched Berol trying to bring up her babies while riddled with cancer, and then had to be the one to walk up the garden and take her from those little babies to go on her final journey and finally end her suffering from both the cancer and a life of continuous breeding in disgusting conditions to supply the pet trade then you might be able to see the bigger picture:cry:

Given that there are thousands of rabbits in rescue centers all over the country, if you feel the urge to help a needy rabbit then there are an awful lot to choose from without having to go in a pet shop. For every rabbit bought in a pet shop that is a rabbit left in a rescue who was also as deserving of a loving home :(

Last edited:
I am not getting at you, or anyone else with a Petshop Bun. How could I when I have some myself !! My point really is that now that I know what goes on in the retail trade of Livestock I would not buy from a Petshop again. But I am weak and I dont trust myself to be able to walk away if I saw a Petshop Bun in need. So my only solution is to not go into Livestock selling Petshops in the first place xx

yeah I'm the same, I hate looking at the buns looking for homes. Knowing me I'd want them all! :roll: :lol:

So now I get their food and bedding from pet shops that don't sell animals. :thumb: I think it's awful that some breeders breed purely to supply pet shops. :cry:

Does this count for the sick rabbits that are sometimes in the adoption part of P@H is it wrong to take them home and care for them.

But if you were the one who had watched Berol trying to bring up her babies while riddled with cancer, and then had to be the one to walk up the garden and take her from those little babies to go on her final journey and finally end her suffering from both the cancer and a life of continuous breeding in disgusting conditions to supply the pet trade then you might be able to see the bigger picture:cry:

that is so sad, I'm sorry you had to go through that. :cry: I would never buy from a pet shop now as I know where they come from and I try to persuade everyone I know to rescue if they ever mention getting pets. :)

Does this count for the sick rabbits that are sometimes in the adoption part of P@H is it wrong to take them home and care for them.

I don't think the adoption bit is the same is it? I thought any money you donated for animals there went to charity or at least that's what they told me when I got my robbo hamster. If that is indeed the case and they didn't tell me fibs to get me to hand over more money then an adoption from there isn't really supporting the shop.

Least that's how I see it.

Back