• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people think that bunnies are such a joke??

yeah, i understand what you mean i hear it all the time! my friend actually thought it was "pathetic" i was upset when my poor bugs died under anesthetic :( x

I remember some guy laughing about my Dillan... until Dillan bit his **** through his jeans :lol:

I love that rabbit!! :love:

As a person I maybe come across as being intimidating and grumpy therefore most people don't say anything untoward about my rabbits generally. I maybe get rabbit stew jokes but I tend to roll my eyes :roll: and tell them to think of something more original next time, which tends to shut them up.

Helen xx

Grr don't even get me started on this :evil:

The 'They're just rabbits' quote drive me mad:evil: Many of my friends just look at me strangely if I talk about them lots as if they couldn't possibly so interesting, funny etc. etc..

One of my friends though, if I haven't mentioned H&B in a while will ask me what they're up too and how they are :love:

Oh wow! I'm not feeling alone anymore thanks to you guys. People who are ignorant about rabbits can be so cruel... I've heard so many bad jokes about my little bunny being cooked or whatever! An animal (be it a rabbit or a dog...) is a living being. I usually tend to avoid these people. I argued with some "friends" because of that. Turns out they were not real friends after all.
"Don't mess with my rabbit!" that could be my motto :p

I think it's a general thing with all small animals.They're not seen to be as "important" as dogs or cats. I had a rat with a lump and my friends thought it was hilarious that I paid £123 to have it removed. But if the lump had been on the dog I bet they wouldn't have found it so hilarious! I've just bought my house bun a 4foot dog crate and he is going to be neutered and they think this is also hilarious!! I get called "mad"!! :roll:

My friends are the same at schoo :( half of them dont even know i have rabbbits as they would just laugh at me :/ and wen i say sorry i cant come out to tonight the rabbits are going to the vets they just laugh and say ahaa wis a rabbit go to the vets for :/ i have just learnt to ignore them and not metion my rabbits round them tbh :)

I think it's a general thing with all small animals.They're not seen to be as "important" as dogs or cats. I had a rat with a lump and my friends thought it was hilarious that I paid £123 to have it removed. But if the lump had been on the dog I bet they wouldn't have found it so hilarious! I've just bought my house bun a 4foot dog crate and he is going to be neutered and they think this is also hilarious!! I get called "mad"!! :roll:

I get this all the time. I have 8 small furries as I call them (3 hamsters, 3 mice and 2 gerbils) and 7 rabbits. I recenly had to have a 7 month old syrian pts. I rushed him to the vet and before we could decide what it was he had an ultrasound, it turned out to be tumors and he was pts (rest in peace sprout) and it cost £53, I went into work the next day upset and told my colleagues. they all laughed and asked why I wasted the money. At a previous job I had to have a robo pts and one colleague said 'I could have just stamped on him'. It breaks my heart how people regard animals.
I am lucky as my mum and her husband LOVE animals and love my bunnies, they feed them when I go away and always do a great job. My friends and especially colleagues think I'm mad and think vaccines, neutering and the amount I spend on hutches is mad. I just don't get it. I have a colleague who used to own a bunny and a guinea pig and they lived together :roll: She seems to think she know so much about bunnies but hers were kept in an old fashioned way. I just nod and agree!!

Buns just aren't the animal accessory at the minute! I find people with handbag dogs, covered in diamante, dyed pink or wearing clothes a joke myself. However it's water off a ducks back to me where buns are concerned. Plus the people who knew me 4 years ago know I spent 160 pounds having 8 male mice neutered, so they could live harmoniously in a mischief of 21 mice. Not to mention the four tier 5ft x 4ft x 2ft cage filled with bird and mouse toys that took pride of place in our bedroom. Comments like 'don't they only live two years' and at the vets 'it'd be cheaper to buy a new mouse' have hardened me to stupid ignorant selfish people :) my buns are my hobby and my family. Most wouldn't dare criticise this as they are clearly spoilt and are where most of my money goes on their health, toys, food and accomodation. I think it's clear that I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice if they did criticise and the joke would be on them for being tightfisted gits who stereotype animals and only have compassion for themselves! Sod em all! :)

I forgot to mention when my friend's cousin came round. She asked me what sexes the rabbits were and when I said boy and girl she immediately said 'so you'll be having lots more soon then'. The thought of neutering doesn't even cross people's minds... :?

peoples ignorance drives me mad!!!!
a woman at work could'nt believe i paid over £60 to have my bunny neuterd,
she said i'd never spend that on a rabbit! :censored:.
makes me sick, i tend not to talk about my buns much at work i think thay think here comes that mad rabbit woman!!

Yeah this is one thing that really gets on my nerves. 'Why do you want so many, why do you like them so much, why do you take them to the vets, it's only a rabbit, oh i have a rabbit and its evil, will you take my rabbit im bored of it' :roll:

I was in a taxi last night and as it drove past the forest beside me , i saw a fox and awwwwed . The driver then started telling me how much he loves shooting them and other "pests" like rabbits!!!! I was furious and ended up getting out of the cab where we are and walking the rest!!
My mum n dad were a bit funny when I first told them about Peaches but have to say my dad now sits in the garden for ages watching them and helped to build the run for them, when I got Peter now he always asks how they are when he phones:D

I' really lucky because I work in the vets and therefore most of the people who come in are animal lovers. Outside of work, most of the people I mix with are animal lovers. We have one vet who always jokes with me about bopping the old animals on the head and staring again, but he is the same one who drove to my house to PTS a chicken on a weekend and also said when the time comes he doesn't want to PTS Jimmy because he is so fond of him. I know he is only teasing me and don't take offence because he would be right there if I needed him. I guess many people don't feel comfortable acknowledging that an animal is important to them. I usually say, in a serious but friendly voice that all animls have the same pain sensors and just because they can't scream, they can still feel the same pain as we do. Its amazing how often that has made people think and I now know of situations where they would have just walked away before and they now do something about it.

I haven't had alot of bad things said really

When mops died, someone in the family said 'In a way though, your over that stage. Rabbits are more for younger people to get them used to owning pets'. My face after that :shock: Luckily we don't see her that often at all and when we do I try and not talk to her and I was delighted when I told her about Oggie.

And I was once given advice to not spey my rabbits because the operation was horrible.

But otherwise, all my family love Oggs and loved Delly too :D

Some days the only ones to make any sense are the animals, I have dogs, rabbits and a chinchilla and they are all part of the family, people who know me do not say anything to me about my animals, they joke but the people who matter to me respect my love for animals.

Back