• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why did nobody tell me i should wear gloves before i go foraging for Brambles...

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: Sorry.
I pick them a bit like Schuette - scissors at the leaf base, let them drop into my palm & when I've a palmful I tip them into a basket.
I dethorn the leaves bare fingered too, a firm rub down the central vein. But you only have to use a thimble or wrap some lint round your finger. Thumper has thick fur & chins all his food. The thorns are barbed & get all along his jaw line.

Nettles are good bunny food. Those can be gathered bare handed too, but I prefer gloves cos I get stung getting them out of the bag. You have to grip very firmly. They only sting when they brush against you.
The only effective antidote for a nettle sting is fresh greater plantain (dock is useless) & they're not out yet!

Which bit of the nettle do you feed? Just the leaves?

:lol::lol: this thread has made me laugh.. reminds me I have to go bramble leaf picking again - my buns love them

I have a pair of scissors in evey coat pocket for bramble picking.
But even so, every few days I have to get a needle and a pair of specs and have a thorn removing day from my hands:lol:
i have learnd there is lots of types of bramble. Mine love the type that has thorns like eagles talons:shock: and are almost white on the underside of the leaf.
this type is not common to find, typical eh:lol:

*tries to visualise Graham with a nice basket & pretty bonnet* :shock::lol:

Maybe a bucket would be more suitable ......:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Luckily I have brambles growing in my garden, so it's self service for my buns. :) When I do pick extras, I grab the leaf bit by the top near the stem and pull. No spikies at all. :)

Love this thread people - it has really made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:

I SENT my hubby bramble foraging last week after reading on the forum how buns love them.

I calmly explained to OH why we needed them, how much the buns would love them and why it was better for him to pick them as he is so much taller than me and so would be able to get the most tastiest leaves that are less likely to be contaminated! He fell for it so went and picked a small bag full while I sat in the car eating chocolate ;)

When we got home and I saw how spikey the leaves were I wouldn't give them to the buns - now I feel reassured that they are OK so guess who will be foraging for more bramble leaves tomorrow?? It won't be me :lol::lol::lol:

Love this thread people - it has really made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:

I SENT my hubby bramble foraging last week after reading on the forum how buns love them.

I calmly explained to OH why we needed them, how much the buns would love them and why it was better for him to pick them as he is so much taller than me and so would be able to get the most tastiest leaves that are less likely to be contaminated! He fell for it so went and picked a small bag full while I sat in the car eating chocolate ;)

When we got home and I saw how spikey the leaves were I wouldn't give them to the buns - now I feel reassured that they are OK so guess who will be foraging for more bramble leaves tomorrow?? It won't be me :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Bless him!

*tries to visualise Graham with a nice basket & pretty bonnet* :shock::lol:

Maybe a bucket would be more suitable ......:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: We should do a dress up bramble forageing photo shoot!:lol: Ummmmm.....Gray...you go first!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Bless him!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: We should do a dress up bramble forageing photo shoot!:lol: Ummmmm.....Gray...you go first!:lol:

That's a great idea :lol::lol: just imagine the interest lots of people all over the country with gardening gloves and baskets dressed up like Little red riding hood :lol::lol:

:lol:

Now I was wondering this morning if anyone was out foraging yet and what was available - I came on to have a check and now I know and have had a good laught too, thanks RU!

Maisy has just not been so interested in her usual foods since her GI upset early last week, she's eating it but not with her usual gusto, being picky about hay too so I was thinking of going out to see what I could find her.

Do I need to introduce brambles and nettles very slowly as with other new foods or will it be ok as they are used to green veggies already?

Do I need to introduce brambles and nettles very slowly as with other new foods or will it be ok as they are used to green veggies already?

I think anything new should be introduced slowly but I think with brambles you can be less cautious - they are known for their tummy settling/good digestion properties :wave:

Now I was wondering this morning if anyone was out foraging yet and what was available - I came on to have a check and now I know and have had a good laught too, thanks RU!

Maisy has just not been so interested in her usual foods since her GI upset early last week, she's eating it but not with her usual gusto, being picky about hay too so I was thinking of going out to see what I could find her.

You very rarely need to introduce wild plants slowly as they are mostly astringent and rarely cause upset so just use your common sense :):wave:

I personally crush or dry nettles first to remove sting and also remove thorns on bramble.

:wave: Hi there. You'll probably find that Maisy will go for bramble leaves after a GI upset. The shrub leaves are high in fiber & low in nutrient, so brambles should help to get her gut stable again. We can usually introduce these over a period of 3-4 days but other plants need introducing like veg. Maisy may well do best on regular hawthorn when it comes to maturity, if she's prone to GI upset. If you can find blackthorn (Sloe) leaves dry some when the Sloes turn black with a white bloom & keep aside just to start her eating after stasis, (not for regular use)

To add to the general merriment, I decline the photoshoot. My foraging trousers fell down infull view of a housing estate last year. :oops:

Thanks Thumps I'll do that - always looking out for sloes as I'm a sloe gin lover!

Now I need to add belt and bonnet to my list - daughter is already ashamed to be seen out with me!

I tried 10 of mine with bramble yesterday, and 7 of them turned their noses up. :shock: Inncluidng Badger with his uspet tummy. I was most unimpressed.

Gray, hope yours liked them more than mine did. :lol:

Back