• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which pet insurance?

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
Hiya all,

Hope I'm putting this in the right area. Do not want to enrage the bunnypowers that be [emoji15]

I've read up quite a bit about vets and pet insurance but I'm at a loss :( I have 2 main questions and hope someone can give some advice.

1. Which vet?
The one I currently have is close to me, seems very knowledgeable when I've spoken to her and when I took Zeus there were 2 other bunny owners there with their bunnies. But, she's not on the list of rabbit savvy vets. I prefer to have a vet near me to limit how much Zeus needs to travel as I have to use public transport. My vet is Arden House Veterinary Surgery in Greenford, anybody use them?
The other one I considered were Vets4Pets at the Pets at Home in Greenford, but since having Zeus I don't like how Pets at Home sells rabbits, so very hesitant to use their vets?

2. Which pet insurance?
I've read so many different pet insurance blobs that my brain is about to explode! I've also never had pet insurance before, or a rabbit before, so not entirely sure what to look for. What is a good rabbit insurance supplier/plan etc?

Even after everything I've read etc I still feel a bit like an ignoramus [emoji3064] I want to do the best for Zeus and figured it's probably best to get advice from people that have done this all before with some honest experience :)

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

We’re with pet plan. I can’t really say how they are yet because we are going through our first (second and third) claim with them (no prizes for guessing who that’s for��) but I’ll let you know if they do settle. If they don’t, then I’ll be selling my kidneys on fleabay to the highest bidder to pay for the impending vet bill.

Yes Pet Plan here too. Fortunately I've never had to claim for Treacle in all of her 7 1/2 years, but I have for my cat George, and they have always paid out with no problem. If you are happy with the vet closest to you, and others take their buns there, I think I would stick them if it was me.

Yes Pet Plan here too. Fortunately I've never had to claim for Treacle in all of her 7 1/2 years, but I have for my cat George, and they have always paid out with no problem. If you are happy with the vet closest to you, and others take their buns there, I think I would stick them if it was me.
Yea think the vet is OK, I spoke to one of the ladies while we waited and she had her bunny there for spaying, she said it's the 4th she's brought to that vet. So it seems good :) thanks for the advice :D

Yea think the vet is OK, I spoke to one of the ladies while we waited and she had her bunny there for spaying, she said it's the 4th she's brought to that vet. So it seems good :) thanks for the advice :D

:thumb:

Cant help with vets.

It's been a hard year for us and the insurance bills wise!

We're with petplan and they've paid out about 1300 for our buns this year. They paid out with our first bun too.

No dental cover but not sure any do. And they did pay for Rodney's first dental as it was connected to his other illness.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Cant help with vets.

It's been a hard year for us and the insurance bills wise!

We're with petplan and they've paid out about 1300 for our buns this year. They paid out with our first bun too.

No dental cover but not sure any do. And they did pay for Rodney's first dental as it was connected to his other illness.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Thank you, that's really good to know :)

Seems like Petplan is the preferred one

I've not used petplan but have used helpucover and they've been pretty good. But am aware petplan has good feedback overall. Just be aware that dentals are almost never covered and it can be costly but fingers crossed that won't be needed.

I used to use a vets4pets vet and had very bad experiences with them but can't speak for every branch.

Back