• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when you adopt from a rescue is the adoption form legally binding

It 'should' go back to where it came from, but if there are reasons that mean you don't want to place it back there, it may be best to advise them of the situation but offer to keep the dog till a new home is found to lessen the stress on the dog? That way it would not have to go back into care.

I agree with Jill and Lucy, after all whatever your thoughts on the rescue you did sign the form and if on there you agreed to return the puppy should your situation change then I think you at least have a duty to inform them. The fact they have included that clause on their adoption form shows concideration towards the animal and if they are actually as terrible as you believe them to be then I'm sure they would be happy for you to spay and rehome her for them.

Hmmm it's a difficult one. I see what the good rescues are saying, but if I ever had to give the Worm (cat) up, there is no way she'd be going back to the rescue.

It was not a *bad* one as such, but they did not homecheck me, have never done any follow ups and I know they have a PTS policy. The Worm was in the rescue for 2 weeks and has been with me 3.5 years, she is my responsibilty and I would want to know for myself that she was safe and happy.

D'ont know if this helps?

There are good and not so good rescues out there but that does not alter the fact you took on the animal, signed the papers and presumably aggreed by their terms and conditions. If they say you should return said animal then that is what you should do or at least give them the opportunity to uphold their side of the animal re-home contract. Chances are they maybe ok with you re-homing it yourself and thats fine............but .

Coming onto this forum and going by opinions offered on such a matter are dangerous as it is you that will ultimately carry the can and I can tell you I have heard people say " D'ont take it to the rspca" on this forum. If this were our rabbit you were talking about and you went by some of the less well advised oppinions offered you would most certainly fall foul of us and we would reserve the right to take action against you.

Trust me we have had this scenario happen to us and we were not best pleased and neither was the new keeper of the rabbits when they found out that they belonged to the rspca and should have been returned. And yes we did want to check where the rabbits in question were going to ,the conditions they were in and satisfy ourselves the new keepers were fit and proper persons to keep rabbits.

In addition we wanted to make them aware they should and could return the rabbits to us at any time if they found they could no longer look after them.

They're legally binding I believe, but not thought to be worth the paper they're written on because unless you take DNA samples before adopting out you'll struggle to prove it's the same animal - they could say the one they adopted from you died, ran off, etc
I imagine microchipped animals would be easier to trace/prove the origins of though

What action?.

First of all you need to know if the papers are legally binding or not and I assume each would have to be assessed individually on its content and without proper legal advice I guess nobody on here can tell for certain.

To take the attitude, you'll get away with it is a dangerous one when you sign any contract whatever it is and not one I would certainly would want to be seen to endorse.

Back