• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

[Urgent] E.cuniculi in womb & resulting blindness.. is she infectious?

lucyb2797

New Kit
Hi everyone, I don't post here often and am more of a lurker but I'm facing a huge worry about a rabbit that I'm hoping to adopt. My beloved Layla passed away in December and as a result I'm looking to adopt a new partner for my little boy Nuri. I've found this gorgeous girl through a local rescue, she's a giant and is super social and lively and full of character and my partner and I fell in love, and Nuri is set to go off to bond with her tomorrow.

The only thing is she's partially blind, with one eye fully clouded over and the other slightly cloudy as well. I also noticed a bit of discharge coming out of the really cloudy eye but this was played down as being because of the spay shed had a week before we saw her. The Foster mum reassured us she'd been fully health checked twice and spayed at the vets said it's not affecting her health and its something she's had since she was born as a result of the mother likely having e.cuniculi. I was slightly worried but the rescue reassured me that she's completly healthy apart from the blindness, and shes so used to being blind it doesnt bother her at all.

It's just the thought that suddenly occurred to me last night was, what if she's carrying e.cuniculi still and might pass it onto Nuri? I rung up the vets that spayed and health checked her and they said there's no record of her being treated for e.cuniculi whilst she's been registered with the vets (so whilst she's been with the rescue). I don't think they have her past info but I'm trying to understand why a vet would not treat her for e.cuniculi if they suspect she's been exposed to it, isn't panacur pretty cheap and non invasive? Now Im left wondering if she is a risk to my boy Nur? If she is of course I have no choice but to call off the bonding until she's revieved the appropriate treatment. Am I over-reacting, is anyone here a but more knowledgeable on e.cuniculi and can put my worries to rest?

Thank you so much in advance for any help, advice, or even just support you can give ❤

I've had EC buns living with other unaffected ones. I just do a 28 day course of panacur (10% liquid) for all rabbits from the day a new rabbit arrives. Then re-treat if you notice any symptoms. Discuss with your own vet the merits of doing a full course once or twice a year as well? Most rabbits have probably been exposed to EC anyway. Stress makes it more likely to get a breakout - hence why I do a 28 day course if I get a new arrival. You won't get to be EC free, but treatment will reduce the loading in the affected rabbits down to a background level which causes no issues. It's also important to remember that EC spores are passed in urine, so be more vigilant with hygiene - particularly on days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle. Bleach, steam clean or a disinfectant like Virkon S are all effective against EC spores.

Basically, it's all do-able in a normal routine, with a slight hassle of Panacur dosing for a while. It's a bit like treating cats and dogs for fleas - it's almost inevitable, but less hassle if dealt with early on before you have a big outbreak.

If you are worried about the sight / eyes of the new rabbit, talk to your own vet first. I would be more worried about the eye discharge than EC or blindness, as that could be other things (or it may be nothing).

I hope it all goes well.

I've had EC buns living with other unaffected ones. I just do a 28 day course of panacur (10% liquid) for all rabbits from the day a new rabbit arrives. Then re-treat if you notice any symptoms. Discuss with your own vet the merits of doing a full course once or twice a year as well? Most rabbits have probably been exposed to EC anyway. Stress makes it more likely to get a breakout - hence why I do a 28 day course if I get a new arrival. You won't get to be EC free, but treatment will reduce the loading in the affected rabbits down to a background level which causes no issues. It's also important to remember that EC spores are passed in urine, so be more vigilant with hygiene - particularly on days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle. Bleach, steam clean or a disinfectant like Virkon S are all effective against EC spores.

Basically, it's all do-able in a normal routine, with a slight hassle of Panacur dosing for a while. It's a bit like treating cats and dogs for fleas - it's almost inevitable, but less hassle if dealt with early on before you have a big outbreak.

If you are worried about the sight / eyes of the new rabbit, talk to your own vet first. I would be more worried about the eye discharge than EC or blindness, as that could be other things (or it may be nothing).

I hope it all goes well.

Thanks Shimmer! I wish I'd thought about this sooner and requested she be treated with panacur before bonding, its too late now as I drop Nuri off tomorrow morning. The rescue got back to me saying as she didnt display signs of current EC infection she hasn't revieved any treatment. My main worry is that the stress of bonding (they are both being sent to a professional bonder the rescue uses so its bound to be stressful for both bunnies) will cause one or both to come down with EC if it is true that the rescue bunny has it dormant in her system. I'll try and ring my vets up to discuss it with them today but the receptionist told me earlier that they probably won't be able to advise on a rabbit they haven't seen.

Just giving an update, I finally managed to speak to the vet who originally saw her and they were under the impression she'd been treated with panacur. She definitely hasn't as her Foster mum knew nothing about it and she would've had to be the one to administer it so it's a bit of a mess really and the vet advised that she needed to complete the course before being bonded to avoid risking exposing my rabbit. So looks like poor little Nuri is going to have to wait another month to have a partner. I'm kinda upset at how the vets/rescue managed to mess this up and potentially put my boy at risk if I hadn't been so insistent on getting answers, not to mention the fact that the poor rescue girlie's eye has been untreated and potentially worsened due to this. Its kind of put me off the whole thing, as much as I fell in love with this particular rabbit, especially cause I was made to feel like I was overreacting and being paranoid when I clearly wasn't and had cause to be concerned.

You could always start the panacur at the same time as bonding - dose them both at the same time and continue the course when they come home.

Thing with EC is that it usualy bursts out when bun is under the stress or has other health problems that needs mediacation, antibiotics...This is how I would do. If the bun is OK at the moment I would strat bonding and Panacur for both buns + perhaps some bunny witamins for imune system support in stress period.

Thankfully you stayed on top of the situation and helped that female get the treatment she needed while protecting your current bun.
If she is the right match for you and your bun it may be worth the wait.

Back