• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to re-bond a bereaved rabbit?

clairen

Warren Scout
Happened just over a week ago. She looks so lonely out in her run but is well in herself, eating, drinking, occasional binkying. I'd have her as a houserabbit in a flash but working 4 days a week means she'd be too lonely. I have a strong gut instinct that the other 2 wouldn't accept her and I don't want to 'push it' and break up their pairing.
Do you need to give them a bit of time before they will accept a new partner or should I ask for a rescue to bond her straightaway? The other issue is the Vet is not sure what caused the demise of her partner so I guess I should isolate her for a while but how long? Advice most appreciated.

:wave:i would probably isolate for 28 days...and panacur her too..
maybe try an initial bonding with the other two if you would prefer to not get another just yet.
if that looks like it wont ever work (you know your buns behaviour better than anyone) then maybe take her to a rescue to pick her own friend.
good luck and im so sorry for your loss..

Thanks for the advice. She's back on Panacur as are the other 2. I wormed all 4 only 2 months ago (do my rabbit care by the book as still don't feel I know enough) and really hoping it wasn't EC, although again, I don't know enough about EC to understand the full implications.

I might ask a rescue to attempt a bond to the other 2 (with a donation) but I have a bad feeling, all 3 are alpha-type rabbits. Her partner was a real softy and she was definitely boss.

I'll give it a few more weeks and in the meantime will approach a rescue to get the ball rolling. Am happy to have any rabbit she chooses.

i think the panacur is a good idea as even if it wasnt ec that your bunny passed away from ,the stress of losing a friend might bring on ec in your other bun...as apparently 52% of buns have it in their system ..most not showing any symptoms until they become stressed..
a good rescue will point you in the right direction of a bun that is suitable for you all..:)

Thanks Rabbitmum, I do hope so. I think she'll be an easy bond to the right bun. Very sad to see them on their own outside, they are so much happier partnered.

Good luck with whatever you decide, sorry to hear about your loss :( It took a long time for Oscar to act normal again when he lost Hermy, he refused to come out for the first couple of weeks. You will know the signs when he wants a new friend, but it might be better to do it asap when you have the all clear from panacur... good luck :)

Thanks Coco, I think she seems ok really. Am quite surprised how resilient she is. Poor thing must wonder what happened, who knows what their thought processes are? They were very cuddly and always snuggling and grooming so she must miss that.

Back