• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats wrong with her? U/D Seen Vet!

Alfie had his bloods done & so far has been tested for kidney function & EC. He still has to be tested for EC again, but his kidney function came back fine. He's already been treated for a molar spur & a cut in his mouth that was caused by that.

He lost weight fast too - over about 3-4 days. I basically just "thought" he felt thinner & the next day he was barely there:shock:

He was separated & fed every 3 hours, then down to 5 feeds a day, & now he's on 3 feeds a day. He's piled the weight back on, but only through what I would normally call massive over-feeding & he's also in a warm room next to a radiator with his daughter now, & controlled exercise (as opposed to being loose full-time in a room with open windows & 8 other buns).

Alfie had his bloods done & so far has been tested for kidney function & EC. He still has to be tested for EC again, but his kidney function came back fine. He's already been treated for a molar spur & a cut in his mouth that was caused by that.

He lost weight fast too - over about 3-4 days. I basically just "thought" he felt thinner & the next day he was barely there:shock:

He was separated & fed every 3 hours, then down to 5 feeds a day, & now he's on 3 feeds a day. He's piled the weight back on, but only through what I would normally call massive over-feeding & he's also in a warm room next to a radiator with his daughter now, & controlled exercise (as opposed to being loose full-time in a room with open windows & 8 other buns).

Oh gosh, vibes for him.

I guess i will have to take it in turn and wait to see what the Vet says tomorrow.

I feel so let down by my other Vet, she had been in twice and he didnt say anything about her teeth.

I just pray she is going to be okay.

Oh gosh, vibes for him.

I guess i will have to take it in turn and wait to see what the Vet says tomorrow.

I feel so let down by my other Vet, she had been in twice and he didnt say anything about her teeth.

I just pray she is going to be okay.

My vet checked teeth as one of the first things - he gained weight as soon as that was fixed & then lost it again:roll:. He's doing well now, but it has scared me off putting him back in the group too soon. He seems fine in himself now - there's a lack of hay eating going on - which is obviously gonna be a problem if it's long-term, but I am still stuffing him full of pellets/mix & porridge everyday:oops:

My vet checked teeth as one of the first things - he gained weight as soon as that was fixed & then lost it again:roll:. He's doing well now, but it has scared me off putting him back in the group too soon. He seems fine in himself now - there's a lack of hay eating going on - which is obviously gonna be a problem if it's long-term, but I am still stuffing him full of pellets/mix & porridge everyday:oops:

My Vet didnt check her teeth the first time and resulted in me going back and having them checked in which he said they were okay, but whether or not that is true is now questionable.

If it is her teeth, what happens next?

What if its something more serious?

Im so worried......

ETA - she is drinking and has eaten everything i have given her, going to try oats in abit, is there anything else i can do? I am so worried, she looks awful...(appearance) :(

My Vet didnt check her teeth the first time and resulted in me going back and having them checked in which he said they were okay, but whether or not that is true is now questionable.

If it is her teeth, what happens next?

What if its something more serious?

Im so worried......

ETA - she is drinking and has eaten everything i have given her, going to try oats in abit, is there anything else i can do? I am so worried, she looks awful...(appearance) :(

Alfie was like that - eating everything, but just really slow. Alfie had a GA to have his spur burred, & baytril to stop infection in his mouth cut - but if it's an ongoing problem, there's a Sheffield vet I'm gonna try who can do teeth with no GA. His weightloss was so fast though - that's why they were doing bloods for kidney tests as apparently that can cause extreme weightloss very quickly. I didn't think he was gonna make it at first, he was so scarily thin, but he's piled it back on - although we want more weight gain. I want a fat bun!! Problem is, Polly has piled weight on too :roll:

Alfie was like that - eating everything, but just really slow. Alfie had a GA to have his spur burred, & baytril to stop infection in his mouth cut - but if it's an ongoing problem, there's a Sheffield vet I'm gonna try who can do teeth with no GA. His weightloss was so fast though - that's why they were doing bloods for kidney tests as apparently that can cause extreme weightloss very quickly. I didn't think he was gonna make it at first, he was so scarily thin, but he's piled it back on - although we want more weight gain. I want a fat bun!! Problem is, Polly has piled weight on too :roll:

Thanks Ange, im making a note of possible things to talk through with Vet tomorrow.

Her weighloss hasnt been sudden i guess, she was 2.15kg, then a week later she was 1.84kg, then two weeks later she is 1.69kg.

I just want her to be happy again and well.

So far all she has recieved is Baytril and Bio-Lapis for the past 3weeks in her water.

Baytril is an antibiotic right? Does it act as a pain killer as well?

Thanks Ange, im making a note of possible things to talk through with Vet tomorrow.

Her weighloss hasnt been sudden i guess, she was 2.15kg, then a week later she was 1.84kg, then two weeks later she is 1.69kg.

I just want her to be happy again and well.

So far all she has recieved is Baytril and Bio-Lapis for the past 3weeks in her water.

Baytril is an antibiotic right? Does it act as a pain killer as well?

No, Baytril will not act as a pain killer.
Is she drinking a lot ? Sorry if you have already mentioned this.
When was she last given a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapinzole)?
Does she show any signs of laboured breathing?

No, Baytril will not act as a pain killer.
Is she drinking a lot ? Sorry if you have already mentioned this.
When was she last given a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapinzole)?
Does she show any signs of laboured breathing?

Hi Jane was about to PM you.

All the last Vet gave was Baytril which is why we opted for a 2nd opinion.
Drinking she varies, shes in the house now, sometimes i dont think she is drinking then for the past hr she has been drinking lots.
She was done with Panacur when i first got her which was May.
Her breathing seems fine...

She is grinding her teeth. When she eats she also tips her head back?

I'm glad you are able to see a different vet tomorrow. I really hope they can find out what is wrong with Bella, she really has lost a lot of weight. :(

Tipping the head back could be dental but it could also be related to a liver/pancreas problem as this does affect their ability to swallow sometimes.

How old is she?

Please don't feel bad about letting her down, you are doing your best by her it is the vet who hasn't helped. I think we have all been in the situation where we get so frustrated because we know there is something wrong with our bunnies but the vets don't take it seriously :?

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and really hope you get the answers you need

I hope the vet you see tomorrow can shed some light on the weight-loss. I hope it is only teeth and it can be resolved quickly. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I'm glad you are able to see a different vet tomorrow. I really hope they can find out what is wrong with Bella, she really has lost a lot of weight. :(

Tipping the head back could be dental but it could also be related to a liver/pancreas problem as this does affect their ability to swallow sometimes.

How old is she?

Please don't feel bad about letting her down, you are doing your best by her it is the vet who hasn't helped. I think we have all been in the situation where we get so frustrated because we know there is something wrong with our bunnies but the vets don't take it seriously :?

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and really hope you get the answers you need

That was lovely of you Liz :)

I was shocked to hear of the further weight loss however i did feel she had.
Hopefully the Vet will get us to the bottom of the problem and get her well again.

I dont know how old she is, she came from PAH adoption in May, someone mentioned her on here as been possibly pregnant, we never got an age on her..

I know, i just wish id gone for a second opinion sooner.

:)

I think I would insist on a blood profile-FBC (Full blood count), U+Es (urea and electrolytes) and LFT (liver function).

I hope the new Vet is able to give some answers.

I think I would insist on a blood profile-FBC (Full blood count), U+Es (urea and electrolytes) and LFT (liver function).

I hope the new Vet is able to give some answers.

Will add this to my list..

Have you any ideas on what you think this could be or be related too, or symptoms too??

Will add this to my list..

Have you any ideas on what you think this could be or be related too, or symptons too??

I dont really think there is any point in us guessing a diagnosis as there are so many possibilities. Some serious, some less so. Until diagnostics have been done it really would be a guessing game which wont help either of you.
I know it is horrible not knowing what is wrong :cry:
At least it appears that Bella is 'feeling' OK within herself at the moment as from what you have said she is eating and is bright.

I dont really think there is any point in us guessing a diagnosis as there are so many possibilities. Some serious, some less so. Until diagnostics have been done it really would be a guessing game which wont help either of you.
I know it is horrible not knowing what is wrong :cry:
At least it appears that Bella is 'feeling' OK within herself at the moment as from what you have said she is eating and is bright.

Yeah i guess your right, just wish it was morning.
She appear okay in herself, she is happily eating and sat munching some hay, she just looks awful - thin - shes all bones.

Just hope she doesnt go downhill tonight.

Is there anything else i could do for her tonight?

Back