• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the worst housing you've seen?

oh and my Max being kept in a carrier :( although I never saw that as I met his old owner at the metro stand

Alison and I once went to someone's house and found a rabbit living in a small storage box (like the recycling ones) with a bit of mesh over the top...outside!!!

Oh yeah I remember that! There was also another one living in a hamster cage, and a mum with several 2-week old babies in a (max) 3ft hutch which hadn't been cleaned out because someone told her that you mustn't clean them out until the babies are 8 weeks old...

This was amongst the worst I have seen two bread trays the thinner one being used as a lid ..in it were two un neutered males who had been constantly fighting..they were part of 21 rabbits we took from one house..two more un neutered boys were in a plastic box smaller than the tray:cry:

tray.jpg

or this which was housing used by a BYB

rescuedc.jpg

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am assuming this is the sort of place where my Nancy came from. Sadly gone now

And my Cutie-pie. Breaks my heart.

I hate these people. Hate them.

The worst I've ever actually seen was Eli's breeder.

Most of the rabbits were in 3ft stacked hutches that were in inch deep in filth.
Two of her "favourite" rabbits had free range of a huge ramshackle, drafty barn filled with unwashed milk buckets, rusty metal tools/spikes etc and there was dried wee all over the floor. There was no bed area for them or, from what I could see, access to water other than puddles on the floor.
Eli (a french lop) was in a 2 or 3 ft indoor cage with another frenchie who was bullying him.
she had five or six french lops in one of those 4ftsq playhouses which was in the barn so totally dark inside.
There was a doe with a litter on the concrete floor with no bed or bedding.
There was a rex buck on the bare concrete, no bedding, in a tiny metal pen held down by a gerbil cage with two gerbils in (outside, in this freezing barn).
All the water bottles were thick with algae so I couldn't actually tell if they had water.
There were no food dishes or any sign of them so the food was clearly just being chucked in on top of all the poo. There was no hay.

We only went so my mum could see a giant rabbit and I had the self restraint to leave without taking any of them, I just phoned the rspca and gave them as much info as I could.
Eli had crusty eyes, a runny nose and was clearly terrified of the other rabbit and this woman when I visited so I called my local branch of the rspca and said that they might be getting these buns in and could I adopt him when he came in. They said no so I went and bought him :oops:
I later found out the RSPCA couldn't do a thing because there was no home address, just a postcode for a field with a barn. :cry: I know it was the wrong thing to do but I'm so glad I went and saved him.

I rescued 6 rabbits from this hutch

Mum, Dad and their 4 babies

MumDadandbabies001x2.jpg

I rescued 7 rabbits living in a parrot cage

Mummyandbabies003x3.jpg

And the worst one was when I rescued 3 boys, none of them neutered, living outdoors in this

Neddies006x1.jpg

Neddies002x1.jpg

I rescued 6 rabbits from this hutch

Mum, Dad and their 4 babies

MumDadandbabies001x2.jpg

I rescued 7 rabbits living in a parrot cage

Mummyandbabies003x3.jpg

And the worst one was when I rescued 3 boys, none of them neutered, living outdoors in this

Neddies006x1.jpg

Neddies002x1.jpg

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Makes me feel sick :cry:

Thank goodness they found you. :cry:

I would have to say the worst housing I have seen is Jane's...

The bunnies have been known to make her sleep on the floor, poor Jane! ;):lol:

Back