• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the Matter with Tescos Greens?

Deej still loves his greens, but the ones he's just finished were from Aldi, and the new ones are from Asda. I don't often shop in Tesco.

How strange?

It must be a physic thing going! Since Christmas, both of mine have totally gone off their greens. Usually it's the first to get gobbled up but now left to end and only if really hungry, they will eat it. Must admit the greens don't look as good as usual, could be down to a new supplier or something. Will still keep trying every few days to see they have changed their minds. Hope so as I am attempting to grow some spring greens in the garden.:)

I got some greens.....and I use the term VERY loosely!.....from Tesco last week that were APPALLING! It was the first time I have actually found leftover greens from Lola, Suzy, and Petie's supper....they are all total greens fanatics! I ended up slinging the most of them. But today I found some EXCELLENT big leafed, crunchy greens at ASDA.....on special offer for only 50p a bag!!!!!:D:D

My lot have been eating their greens from our local tesco. I also buy from a local veg stall too. I guess I must have been lucky with what I picked up. I got Cabbage, Carrots and some curly kale.

Am interested to read that other bunnies/piggies are not liking Tesco's greens too :(

I think I will take Mr Herbie shopping with me - he can suss out the greens before I buy!

Just a couple of suggestions but this may be what's going on.

1. With most native fruit and veg there are early, mid-season and late crop varieties, so perhaps Tesco is currently stocking a variety of greens which some rabbits and guinea pigs find less palatable. If this is the case, the variety will probably change again in a few weeks.

Or

2. The current stock is coming from farms in a different part of the UK with different soil characteristics and trace elements, so the greens may be the same variety but taste different to rabbits and guinea pigs.

And of course it could be a bit of both.

In case anyone's interested, Tesco seem to have significant reductions on many of their pots of fresh herbs at present. I've just picked up a mint for 99p and the thyme is a bit over a quid.

The Tesco near me hasn't had any spring greens in for the last month!
Before that they were really poor...covered in brown splodges.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Have read this thread with interest. Libby is out in her run at the moment. I have just taken her a couple of Tesco's greens leaves, and I usually tear them into pieces and place them at various locations around the run, and she searches for them. Just been and done that - she found the first bit, sniffed it and hopped off :shock::lol:. Shall keep on eye on how Jack and Taz react too :wave:

But today I found some EXCELLENT big leafed, crunchy greens at ASDA.....on special offer for only 50p a bag!!!!!:D:D

Have a huge stock of the 50p bargains myself!:thumb:

I don't usually buy greens from Tesco's so can't coment, but there are definitely 'off' weeks and 'on' weeks with the ASDA greens and the UK source suppliers do seem to change, so the soil and choice cultivars are likely to be the cause ( I would suggest ).:D

Fudge has gone right off the dark greens (Tesco and Sainsbury's), wondered if they are bitter at this time of year or have been stored too long by the shop. He now happily munches away at white (very pale green) cabbage and can't get enough of the stuff.

My girl won't eat, my boy does. I thought it was because I gave her panacur on hers, so now she associates with that but now I know it isn't just her may try from a diff shop. Tescos seem a bit pants anyway.

My 6 still love their greens, we get ours from Morrisons though.

My pigs refuse to eat spring greens, fussy *******. They prefer romaine lettuce.

Back