• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's going on?

Mumtobuns

Warren Scout
I currently have a bonded pair that have lived together for about a year. She is an older female and he is a younger, more boisterous male. They had another companion until about September when (as a dental bun suffering from abcesses ?sp) he had to be helped to the bridge. She has never really recovered and seems a little sad. I was hoping that time would solve the problem and she would settle with her new husbun as companion. Just recently, I have noticed something odd though. On her tummy on both sides, she has patches of very short hair. It isn't anywhere else and he isn't suffering from the same thing. It doesn't hurt her when I touch it and she is eating / behaving normally otherwise. Is he over grooming her or is it something more sinister? I am wondering whether, without the third member of the family, he is paying too much attention to her! Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no experience of this but just bumping your thread up as hopefully someone will be able to help!

If he was plucking her fur then I'd expect it to be from her back/bum, but on her tummy and I'd say it was her, herself. Has she been spayed? If not then she is more likely to pull it out to make a nest, but she can still have false pregnancies when spayed. Is there a lot of fur in her bedroom area?

How long have they been bonded for? Are they happy?

She was spayed a long time ago - as soon as she was ready so I know it's not a false pregnancy.

It's not under her belly, just on either side.

And they've always seemed to be happy - aside from his boisterousness!

And they've been bonded since probably late Spring 2009

She was spayed a long time ago - as soon as she was ready so I know it's not a false pregnancy.

It's not under her belly, just on either side.

And they've always seemed to be happy - aside from his boisterousness!

And they've been bonded since probably late Spring 2009

Do you have any pictures? I'm a bit stumped. Any female can have false pregnancies...but if it's not on her tummy then I'd guess it's not that.

Are they indoors or outdoors? It could just be a very odd moult. Can you take a photo?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will do my best to get a pic - next time I'm out in the daylight and my fingers are warm enough to operate the camera!!! :roll: :lol:

EDIT: Sorry - they're outdoors x

Back