• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's going on with Pets at Home?

for those who now just sell in adoption section, are these rabbits still in the glass fronted mini tanks or the bigger enclosures the straight from breeder young buns used to live?

Our seems to have turned the 'main' tanks at the front into the adoption section, instead of the tiny tanks at the back. It's been a while since I last went but I hope they've kept it that way. Obviously not the best, I know, but it gives the buns at least a little more room.

Our seems to have turned the 'main' tanks at the front into the adoption section, instead of the tiny tanks at the back. It's been a while since I last went but I hope they've kept it that way. Obviously not the best, I know, but it gives the buns at least a little more room.

This is predominantly what I have seen too. At Keighley some are in the mini tanks but I think they are moved to more space out in the warehouse when the store isn't open. They also seem to move to the bigger pens as soon as available as I have rarely seen the bigger pens empty but the small tanks often are.

Colne and Harrogate definitely seem to be using the larger spaces.

for those who now just sell in adoption section, are these rabbits still in the glass fronted mini tanks or the bigger enclosures the straight from breeder young buns used to live?

The Brighouse store only has the smaller fish tank type stacked housing, but it's a small store and only does adoptions. They don't have the big enclosures - there's no room.
I've not been in any of the other local stores for a long time, so don't know if they have changed.

Jollyes in Halifax has moved the large enclosures further into the store, so they are no longer in the draught of the main doors. They still sell rabbits and G Pigs, but never have many in at once.

Cabinets. 😑

The full price buns are in bigger enclosures but still with glass sides. Only positive is that our branch provides lots of places in the enclosures for the rabbits to hide.

Sounds mixed then. I'm pleased some adoption buns are getting bigger space, those tanks are heartbreaking

I stopped off at P@H today to pick up some more pellets and noticed they are no longer selling rabbits at that specific store. Has anyone else noticed this? They had two pairs up for adoption in the 'rehoming' section but had signs up saying 'this store no longer sells rabbits' and directing you to the nearest P@H that still does. Is this P@H finally taking on board what rescues have been saying for years or am I being too hopeful?! I also noticed the shelves in the small animal section were very empty :?

Its not surprising considering there is no help for rabbits. If your a new customer forget it, no vet will see you or at best will rob you and make you wait several months for an appointment. Unless there selling neutered/spayed rabbits nobody will be buying them or even take them for free. Rabbits need vaccines too. Mind you, one could own a single rabbit and be ok but again with no vet treatment for rabbits available your pretty much on your own with it.

Not been in one near us for ages. Hope they stop selling rabbits one day I know best4bunny would love this to happen as well reading latest magazine issue the autumn one

I wish these pet shops would stop selling rabbits. My local pet shop is selling two lion heads for 130 each that are not fixed or vaccinated. The guy in there thinks his an expert and says that lion heads don't need vaccinating and they are kept in a hamster cage the both of them.

I wish these pet shops would stop selling rabbits. My local pet shop is selling two lion heads for 130 each that are not fixed or vaccinated. The guy in there thinks his an expert and says that lion heads don't need vaccinating and they are kept in a hamster cage the both of them.

Report the pet shop to local authority they should not be kept in a hamster cage
Yes I agree all pet shops should stop selling rabbits in fact all animals

Another issue with PAH is that they make little attempt to offer the breeds of rabbit most popular with children, which are mini lops and lionheads.

Those two breeds also 'last longer' in PAH because even at four or five months they're still small and 'baby looking.' The mixed breeds they usually go for are huge by three months and nobody buys them.

Back