• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to expect at the vets?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I'm taking Pippin to the vets on Wednesday and I'm not 100% with them. They're not bad at all but I'm still a little bit paranoid as I've only been 2-3 times before and seen lots of different vets and nurses. I have tried to book the appointment with the vet I felt most comfortable with but I don't know if it'll be with him.

Basically, I'm taking her because I'm 95% sure she's got mites and she's passing thick, white urine. I've been told this is because she's consuming too much calcium so I cut everything out of her diet apart from pellets and timothy hay. She's being weaned off pellets and is currently on 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup at night. She was eating bramble leaves, willow, apple sticks and leaves, lots of grass, basil, dandelion leaves and probably other things that I've forgotten. I've taken her off all of that and it's made no difference.

So basically what I'm asking is what are they going to say/do? X-rays? Tests?
I'm on a very tight budget and I'm so worried about it money wise and for her health. I want to know that what they're saying is true/knowledgeable.

If she has mites then you need to take her to get that sorted out. Rabbits excrete excess calcium in their urine so it may be normal but not being able to see it can't say for sure. Try to trust your vet, I know it's not easy when you don't have any confidence in them. The treatment for mites shouldn't cost that much. Let us know how you get on.

If she has mites then you need to take her to get that sorted out. Rabbits excrete excess calcium in their urine so it may be normal but not being able to see it can't say for sure. Try to trust your vet, I know it's not easy when you don't have any confidence in them. The treatment for mites shouldn't cost that much. Let us know how you get on.

Yeah I know :/ The reason I'm so worried about the urine is because it's frequent now and I thought it was only meant to be one off kind of things? I will do, thank you.

Could you take a sample of (fresh) urine with you? I imagine that will make things easier.

I imagine they will check her for the mites and if it is mites prescribe a treatment. For the urine, I'd expect a good vet to quizz you on the diet (I'd not mention the changes in diet until they ask, to see if they do ask) and perhaps give you some info on calcium build-up and kidney/bladder stones and bladder sludge.

Give this a read for the appropriate methods of diagnosis and treatment: http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

Could you take a sample of (fresh) urine with you? I imagine that will make things easier.

I imagine they will check her for the mites and if it is mites prescribe a treatment. For the urine, I'd expect a good vet to quizz you on the diet (I'd not mention the changes in diet until they ask, to see if they do ask) and perhaps give you some info on calcium build-up and kidney/bladder stones and bladder sludge.

Give this a read for the appropriate methods of diagnosis and treatment: http://www.rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

Thank you for this. I know it might sound stupid but how do you suggest I collect the urine to take with me? Should I take it on her bedding(which is Carefresh)? Also, would it be useful for me to take a picture of it and take that with me too? I'm going to look crazy lol, oh well she's worth it.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I know it might sound stupid but how do you suggest I collect the urine to take with me? Should I take it on her bedding(which is Carefresh)? Also, would it be useful for me to take a picture of it and take that with me too? I'm going to look crazy lol, oh well she's worth it.

To get a urine sample from my bun for a suspected UTI, I put just hay in the litter tray for a day, and then scooped the hay up and syringed the wee up that was left in the bottom. Wasnt the cleanest due to bits of hay and poo in it, but did the job. I wouldnt use carefresh, as it will absorb all the wee.

If you cant get a sample, a picture may be a good idea, but I'd try to get a sample so they can see how thick it is etc.

To get a urine sample from my bun for a suspected UTI, I put just hay in the litter tray for a day, and then scooped the hay up and syringed the wee up that was left in the bottom. Wasnt the cleanest due to bits of hay and poo in it, but did the job. I wouldnt use carefresh, as it will absorb all the wee.

If you cant get a sample, a picture may be a good idea, but I'd try to get a sample so they can see how thick it is etc.

Thank you, I'll try this.

For Vets good health,

The good health of animal or human. It is compulsory for our new generation and also for our country reputation.I have a few tip to maintain our Vets health and for their security from viral Illness and other diseases.To check their total boy test every month.
to study at internet maximum for our vets. I have tips but I think here is no permission to upload any video........

Dog treats

Last edited:
The good health of animal or human. It is compulsory for our new generation and also for our country reputation.I have a few tip to maintain our Vets health and for their security from viral Illness and other diseases.To check their total boy test every month.
to study at internet maximum for our vets. I have tips but I think here is no permission to upload any video........

Are you using an online translator? It must be hard if English is not your main language, but do check what you are posting for mistakes, as what you are writing is hard to understand.

In case anyone was interested, Pippin is fine :) Urine nothing to worry about and had a very mild case of mites so just got a treatment for that.

£63 gone but a very happy bunny mummy.

Back