• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size is suitable? UPDATE!

Stacey84

Young Bun
I have a 6 1/2 month old French Lop, He-Man. He's stuck in my bedroom at the moment in a pen 2 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet. Was looking for a foster home but it looks like daddy will let me buy him a shed.
He's been a house rabbit since.. well, shortly after weaning. It's cold so he'll probably have to stay inside until the weather improves.

I want to treat the wood so it doesn't suffer damage from urine should he pee in it. (He's litter trained but just in case.) Is there anything I can use to protect the wood that is safe for use with rabbits?

I will try to keep him well insulated with lots of vet bedding and probably even a couple of towels, might even buy cheap carpet for the floor. With all this what sort of temperature do you feel would be ok to move him from the warm bedroom to a shed?

The whole shed is for him, though I plan to put a shelf/level about 2 or 3 feet off the ground for added space over about a third or half the length of the shed.

So, the final and most important question is what size shed should I go for? We have a small garden so it's going to have to be the minimum size appropriate for a French Lop AND probably a large doe when we eventually rescue a girlfriend for him.

So quick recap;
1. Safe wood treatments?
2. Suitable temperature for his move from bedroom to shed?
3. Minimum shed size for two large rabbits? (Thinking ahead about the second bun.)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :D

Last edited:
Minimum size for a pair of normal sized rabbits is a 6ft by 2ft hutch with 6ft by 4ft run. So if you were having a 6ft by 4ft shed you would need to add a run to the side of it.

For Frenchies you need bigger than this. I would say about 8ft by 4ft shed with at least 8ft by 4ft attached run but a rescue will be able to tell you their exactly requirements.

For now I would just use the cage you have as a litter tray and area for this hay and then let him free range in your room as it really is too small for him to be locked in.

I'm not sure of minimum size for frenchies - my buns are diddy - but as already said, rescues should be able to advise what kind of size would be good. ;)

I believe most wood treatments say on the tin if they are pet safe (once dry, obviously). I used a wax based one from Wilkinsons to treat the outside of my aviary, but Cuprinol also do a large range, including pretty colours (I used light green for the inside of my aviary).

Re. the weather, you're right that it would be too cold for him to go outside yet as he doesn't have a thick winter coat. I would say at least another couple of months before I would consider it. :)

Yeah, it's still bitterly cold outside. And He-Man isn't in a cage, it's a pen constructed out of the wire mesh cube panel things. I bought it so the size could be increased as he grew and gained access to more space as he got accustomed to using his litter trays.
He-Man has the only real bit of floor space left in my room. I've got a lot of boxes and stuff due to moving from a two bed house to one double bedroom. :(

I'll have to work on my room and see what I can do about my stuff. :/

Covering the floor with lino is the best way to protect/make it easy to clean :)

Thank you all for your input. I've spent a couple of hours on here admiring the fantastic work by some of the bunny guardians.

Tamsin, I agree with you that lino appears to be the best way to go. And Stator, thank you so much for the recommendations.

He-Man's pen has been extended. It's now eight feet long by two and a half feets wide. It's also two and a half feet tall and unfortunately due to extending his pen we have to walk through it to come in and out the bedroom door. It's a nightmare stepping over the pen but he seems happier to have the additional space. It's not working out though.
We'll continue with this set-up for now but it does highlight the space issue.

My dad wants me to have the smallest shed possible. Minimum requirements for giant breeds are approx 6 x 2 x 2. So, if I get a 6 x 4 foot shed and put a shelf/level across the back half (adding 3 x 4) would that be acceptable?
My problem of course is the strength of the shed. I'll look more into baton and plywood to see what weights they can comfortably manage but I'd probably have to do something for additional support on the floor of the shed as well as I've heard that some sheds can be poor quality.
I've seen the budget B&Q shed recommended a couple of times. Is this sturdy? Value for money doesn't mean quality so those who have purchased this shed, would you say it's strong enough for a frenchie?

I have admired many converted sheds and playhouses on here but have to ask, how great is the risk that your rabbit will jump off a high shelf? I'm worried because my He-Man is stocky and I don't want him being silly and getting injured as a result.

6'x2' is the recommended size of a hutch for average sized rabbits. Then there is run space in addition of a further 6'x4'.

6'x4' total is probably a bit on the small size for a giant unless he has a run or daily access to a larger area. A rabbit that size would only manage a few hops to get from end to end, no room to run, binky or hop fast. A shelf is a good way to give extra space but it doesn't give the level floor area for running.

Is it the look of the shed that bothers you dad or the room it takes up? You could go for an aviary instead as that looks much more open so is less dominating in a garden than a shed. The size is also a bit more flexible eg you could go for 4'x8' which you couldn't buy in a shed.

For sheds, you want tounge and grove style rather than overlap if you want strong and good quality.

Thanks Tamsin!

It's the space that is the issue for dad. We don't have a huge garden but it's a secure garden as when I was a child I had the most amazing little mini lop and he had the run of the garden during the day and was in his hutch at night. He never escaped and He-Man will be given free range of the same garden during the day when mum's home. (She's a housewife so only has to run errands and do shopping so is home most of the time.)

I'll talk to my dad about it more though. When we're able to move out again I have to bring the shed with us which might be another reason he prefers a smaller size, practicality.
He's in France at the moment though so I'm going to have to wait and learn to bunny hop over his pen a bit better. ^_^

Hi,
You need to be very careful what treatments you use as the ones you buy of the shelf state animal friendly - but they are not pet safe.
If you contact me via my website I can sell you the product we use. we buy in bulk- you can't buy it elsewhere.

Also there is a hutch sizing guide on my site.

hope all this helps

Thanks Tamsin!

It's the space that is the issue for dad. We don't have a huge garden but it's a secure garden as when I was a child I had the most amazing little mini lop and he had the run of the garden during the day and was in his hutch at night. He never escaped and He-Man will be given free range of the same garden during the day when mum's home. (She's a housewife so only has to run errands and do shopping so is home most of the time.)

I'll talk to my dad about it more though. When we're able to move out again I have to bring the shed with us which might be another reason he prefers a smaller size, practicality.
He's in France at the moment though so I'm going to have to wait and learn to bunny hop over his pen a bit better. ^_^

:wave: Hi Stacey, I have the B & Q shed, it looks the same as the one I have but, I paid £179.00 for mine about a year ago!! It is really good value when you compare them to the same hutch you would get for £89.00. We put some cozyfloor (polystyrene backed ply board) on the floor and covered with lino we also put a cat flap in it so my bun can nip in or out I have a small run with a hutch above as she likes to sleep in there during the day however, she does have the chance to run around the garden a lot. In fact I sometimes end up shutting the door because she chooses not to for too long if it is raining etc but, she does have the option. I do think that whilst it wouldn't necessarily be ideal for your bunny as he is larger it is a lot better than some bunnies have and it would be more practical for you and it will give him a bit more choice than he has now wouldn't it, I would go for it if you can. If you can get a ladybun for him will you call her she-rah? :lol::lol:

UKrabbithutch, I couldn't find your size guide or preservative treatments page. :eek:( I'm probably being dense. Could you please provide links to these pages?

And VickiP, She-Rah is a definate possibility but when we can adopt a doe I'd like her to be old enough to maybe rule over He-Man as he's territorial and bossy so I don't want fights but I also don't want him to be a bully. If this older doe is too used to her name then I'll have to do without a She-Rah. (Seems a bit wrong anyway as She-Rah was He-Man's sister. :shock: )

He-Man had his second innoculation today. Had his Myxo 2 weeks ago and VHD today. He'll be allowed to venture into the garden next week. :D

I don't know what size shed he'll be getting but we should be getting it next week as dad gets back on Saturday and I have next week off work so I have time to assemble it, modify it with insulation, levels etc. and get it prepared for his moving in day, though it's probably too cold still for him to stay out.
Sounds odd but I'm excited about it. <- weird

UKrabbithutch, I couldn't find your size guide or preservative treatments page. :eek:( I'm probably being dense. Could you please provide links to these pages?

And VickiP, She-Rah is a definate possibility but when we can adopt a doe I'd like her to be old enough to maybe rule over He-Man as he's territorial and bossy so I don't want fights but I also don't want him to be a bully. If this older doe is too used to her name then I'll have to do without a She-Rah. (Seems a bit wrong anyway as She-Rah was He-Man's sister. :shock: )

He-Man had his second innoculation today. Had his Myxo 2 weeks ago and VHD today. He'll be allowed to venture into the garden next week. :D

I don't know what size shed he'll be getting but we should be getting it next week as dad gets back on Saturday and I have next week off work so I have time to assemble it, modify it with insulation, levels etc. and get it prepared for his moving in day, though it's probably too cold still for him to stay out.
Sounds odd but I'm excited about it. <- weird

His website is in the process of being updated ATM (I think)

hello there.
I went to pets at home the other week, and noticed that they sell a wood treatment that is safe for small animals, but it`s not a very big tin and don`t think it would be big enough to treat a shed.You would need a few tins. they were priced at around £5.99 per tin.

The pets at home one is awful, it smell is really overpowing, it gave me a huge headache and made me feel quite ill.

I don't really trust own brand products when it comes to pet safe products. Thank you Amy for sharing your experience. It serves as a good warning to people and saves us money! :)

I'll have to see what UKrabbithutch's preservative is like.

Dad came home. Was less enthusiastic about a shed than he seemed before he left. He wanted the smallest size possible and wanted a pent roof instead of apex so it wouldn't be taller than the conservatory.

I told him the smallest pent I could find was 8 x 6 (when the smallest I found was really 6 x 4) but he wasn't happy, so I told him after looking I found one that was 7 x 5. That he grudgingly accepted.
So, I have a 7 x 5 shiplap shed due around the middle/end of next week.

I'm planning on having a 3 x 5 foot shelf at 2 feet off the ground and an "L" shape level at 4 feet off the ground. I also want to have an inbuilt cupboard to store megazorb, food and hays. The cupboard will be 3 feet high and will act as a step for getting from the first level to the second.

It's hard to explain without providing pics but if anyone can imagine it, do you think it sounds alright?

Another question. What size dog flap would be suitable for a french lop? I know a cat flap is going to be too small but there're different size dog flaps so I'm not sure what to go with. :?:

The shed is due on Friday. I was hoping for advice regarding a dog flap for free access in/out of the shed during the day. (Better than leaving the door open as flies shouldn't be able to get in this way.)

He-Man is still growing. Can anyone recommend a dog flap that will be a suitable size for him when he is an adult?

The shed is due on Friday. I was hoping for advice regarding a dog flap for free access in/out of the shed during the day. (Better than leaving the door open as flies shouldn't be able to get in this way.)

He-Man is still growing. Can anyone recommend a dog flap that will be a suitable size for him when he is an adult?

My Frenchie could easily fit through a large cat flap when he was 6kg (I don't doubt that he still could now.):)

I'd be very worried about having a shelf 4ft up. Frenchies have very delicate backs, and it's dangerous for all rabbits to fall from such a height. I'd put the shelf about 3ft up, and mesh the sides, so he can't fall down Then have a shallow, wide ramp (as Frenchies aren't the most graceful of buns.)

Glad you managed to persuade your dad to get a bigger shed.:)

I was worried about the height so was thinking of like a flap thing on hinges which I would lift to access litter trays/hay racks and put back down and lock in place for security and peace of mind.
As for the ramp, thank you. I was going to do without but I'll follow your recommendation and probably have the storage cupboard with a sloped/slanted top to act as a ramp.

Dad says to wait for the shed to arrive and then see what I can do with it as I have my ideas and know what I want and as for dad... I think he just wanted some peace and quiet. haha.
It'll be here tomorrow morning so I'll have to build a base, then assemble it and from there I'm allowed to buy the lino, insulation etc. I can't wait! :D

Back