• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what shall i do? dead rabbit outside house

Hi everyone.

today i went outside and a dead rabbit is on the grass, i dont know what to do, it does seem like a pet rabbit. i'm in berkshire, taplow, the rabbit is brown color, just wanted to post here see if anyone lost a rabbit in this area?

and what shall i do ? i dont wana leave it there.

sorry if this seems silly. but i have 2 rabbits myself, and its sad to see this :(

Does it look like a wild rabbit? Do you have wild rabbits near your house?

Can you see any reasons why it may of died? Any wounds, any signs of myxi (swollen eyes) any blood coming from anywhere?

You need to be careful incase there is anything contagious to your bunnies. Im not sure what you should do with the body :?

You could try taking it to the vets to see if it has been reported missing or is chipped. Be careful in cleaning hand and clothes if you have touched it for the safety of your own buns.

For now, I would put the bunny in a box, then the box in a black bag. Make sure you wear gloves and throw them away after, remove shoes, go back in the house, touch as little surfaces as you can and those you do touch make a mental note to bleach in a sec, make sure you put all your outer clothes straight on a high-degree wash and wash the soles of your shoes in bleach. Obviously wash your hands. Do not bring the rabbit inside the house. Or go near your rabbits without having decontaminated yourself first.

I think the above measures should be enough, but someone more experienced in this might be along to say more soon/

You're not being silly, this rabbit could have died of anything, possibly contagious. Are your rabbits vaccinated?

Your best bet then is to ring the local vets and ask if anyone has reported a missing rabbit.

I agree take it to a vet to check it. They will also be the first port of call I would have thought if someone has lost a bun. You are definitely not being silly! x x

Last edited:
Back