• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is he trying to say?

kazz

Alpha Buck
I've been up to see Marley (and my boyfriend :lol: ) for the past couple of days. Zak has had him out in the living room for a few hours a night even when I haven't been able to get. So basically Marley is a rescue i saved from being pts and was neutered in the process of his operation to save him. The lady said she thought he was about 6 months old which would make him 7 month old now if she was right. When do rabbits become fully grown/full adults?

When we've had him out with his tunnel, toys and treat ball etc. I'll give him a fuss when he comes near and he'll have a wander then go to the corner and sprawl out on top of the pet carrier. When he has a wander and we're sat in the chairs he'll nudge the calves of our legs and toddle past but last night he nipped me once on the back of the leg and then stood on his back legs and nipped my knee a bit later.

He's not nipped the boyfriends legs but he does nudge him too. And he grunted when I saw to him this morning while he was in his hutch. Is it me? Is he annoyed when he nips even though we're not attempting to pick him up or even in his way? When we had him out in the day (time mentioned above was evening) he seemed pretty happy and even binkied a little so I can't see it being the area...

He was quite submissive to start with but since regaining health has got a little more bossy which I expected because he has been removed from the dominant rabbit who caused him severe injuries and getting his confidence back. Hes an inquistive little guy and doesnt mind being stroked when fed. I'm wondering if its because its basically the time of year or if I'm doing something wrong?

Nipping (gently) is normally trying to get your attention, possibly the same with nudging unless your in his way. Grunting is normally disapproval. This is what we have noticed.

You have to remember rabbits can't talk so have to use their abilities to communicate, so one action may have different meanings depending upon whats going on.

He might be jealous! Your boyfriend is giving you attention and he wants it. Have you considered getting him a lady friend of his own?

he might be letting you know he's the boss. you can sit in his living room but don't get too comfy. :lol:

Thanks for the replies, I thought it might be a mix of things but thought I'd ask for opinions after reading so much and some instances overlapping meaning good and bad. Its strange he's only nipped me. He pulled thr boyfriends jeans the other day when I wasnt there but that was while he was blocking the back of the tv up and he wanted to get behind :lol: so we knew why that was.

We weren't in his way, he's wandering past and then does it on purpose (the nudges) and the nips I wondered moreso about. The boyfriend was sat in another chair not even particularly near. I assumed it was an in charge thing or that he thought I might be tasty haha.. Slightly gutting after forking out 100s to keep him alive :lol:

My friend mentioned when once going into the conservatory to see to him and she tapped on the floor he charged and grunted at her so we've always chuchered and clicked to get him to show his face. Because hes the only rabbit is iy possible hes trying to assert that he's boss? How do I be boss? When he approaches I wonder if I'm going to get a nip so maybe he can sense I'm, not scared but waiting for it if you get me?

We will be hopefully rescuing a female once we have a bigger hutch/run but because he was severely bullied I'm a bit scared he might get in their first to try stopping himself being bullied again. But then sometimes hes so easy and chilled.its like I have to see what side od the bed he got up on :')

Edit: quick note forgot to say that when we move to stroke him or give him attention he totters off instead?

We found treat sticks were useful as a way of getting the rabbits to come to us, so that they can see we mean no harm, but even our timid rabbits would sometimes run back with the treats in their mounth. After time they got more confident and stayed with us longer.

Not many rabbits like being stroked, the best time is afternoons (this is when ours have their snoozes) and therefore less likely to run away.

I think rabbits can pick up on your senses, like when we sit relaxed watching TV, our rabbit does the same, but when we're busy or frustrated like when trying to cut their nails the rabbit doesn't relax either.

Does your rabbit ever submit to you (lay the head flat on the floor) or always run away?

Back