• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is going on? Should I be worried?

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone :wave:

I have seen Belle try to mount Bailey twice in the last two days, both times she has also grabbed on with her mouth as a few clumps of fur have been removed from him. Both times he has just hopped away and stamped. Last night this happened when I was filling up their treat ball with pellets and then this morning it happened when I was putting down their veg. I was worried she may have had a go during the night but there were no clumps of fur anywhere so I don't think she did. After she did it last night she put her head down to be groomed by him but he didn't oblige, and then she started grooming him for a few seconds. This morning, they both just carried on eating the greens.

A bit of background: Bailey is an incredible laid back bun, will let you do anything to him. Belle didn't have a very good start in life and whilst friendly, she can be quite nervous - she doesn't like you touching her really but will happily hop all over you for a treat.
I rescued Belle (French Lop) as a pal for my neutered house bun (well more like a little dog) Bailey (French Lop) in the summer. Waited until Belle's hormones had died down from her spay to bond them (did the fast track method in a spare room) and they bonded fine - neither mounted, just a bit of chasing and they started grooming and snuggling quite quickly. They then both moved into Bailey's room (all neutralised).
About a month later I went on holiday and my Mum looked after them at my house - during this time they had a big fight; I think because she gave them more space than I was at the time - letting them into more rooms and in the garden etc. So we went back to basics and into the neutral bonding room again, with their room being neutralised. This went fine and they were back into their room within the week as there was no aggression, just lots of grooming and snuggles.
They have been in their room (and the kitchen when I'm in there) but I haven't increased the space anymore (much to Bailey's displeasure) for 2 months now and they have been getting on beautifully - always snuggling and grooming each other, lots of binkies and flops. Bailey sometimes chased Belle but she would just hop away and Bailey would give up within seconds. I haven't seen him chase her for a while now.

So my query is......would anyone have an idea as to why she is now mounting him after all this time? Should I be worried?

xxxx

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to give you as much info as I could :)

Picture of them below (Bailey is on the right and Belle on the left)
ha7ehyja.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair v similar... Fleur (from a bad situation, lack of food and hay) will always try and mount Freckle (rescue but was looked after and fed well) when she hears me approach with veg or pellets. She does it with fresh hay too sometimes. I think it has something to do with their unfortunate pasts, making them want to be the dominant one around food so they get first picks and aren't left out. They are usually fine at other times, it just kicks off around food!

I do sprinkle some pellets right in front of her now to distract her so Freckle can eat in peace. Not sure if any of that is helpful, I think I rambled :lol:

Thanks silver rabbit and Toni bun :)

Well I think the last two times have been around food-she didn't do it when I gave them their pellets this morning though. il keep monitoring it....do you have any idea why she hasn't exhibited these behaviours before though? Weird that its only just started?!

I'm hoping I get home tonight and there isn't any fur clumps anywhere! Don't want it to result in a fight!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back